Princess Transfer Downtown London to Southampton

Kenswing

Sorry, I can't answer your question. I'm posting to bring your question to the front, again. Maybe, then, someone else will see it and be able to respond.

I can tell you (and anyone else interested in another option) that DH and I have taken London taxi to Waterloo Station, then train to Southampton. Another taxi to port terminal. All very, very easy. Taxi and train personnel lift the bags and we just wheel through the train station.

Train is about 2 or 2 and 1/2 hours (there are both commuter-trains with more stops and trains with less, pay attention if interested in booking). Time from Southampton depot to cruise terminal is about 10 minutes (if traffic isn't too congested).

Maybe, 10 pounds for each taxi (depending on London hotel location) and only something phenomenally cheap for the train (booking through Megatrain---quite a bargain, if booked well in advance, but you have to be sure to catch the train you booked and sit in the correct train car) about 22 pounds for the two of us spring of 2014. Really!

Booked without Megatrain (a different time) was quite a bit more--but much, much less than taking the Princess transportation. Maybe, 50 or 70 pounds for two (I can't remember exactly. Easy for you to google, I'm sure).

We have met fellow cruisers on the train and shared the second taxi in Southampton--so only half of 10 pounds.

Do-it-yourself isn't for anyone, but it is an option : ) A little cost-saving experience in a beautiful country...

Have a wonderful time on your travels!

To expand on the response above: the fast train from London Waterloo to Southampton Central takes only 1 hour 20 minutes. Departs twice an hour on weekdays, walkup fare is around 38 pounds--so a little over US$100 for two. Discounts abound for online pre-purchase.

Princess will instruct you to arrive at Victoria Coach Station between 10 and 10:30. If you make the first coach it will at best depart at 11:00; the 2.5 hour drive gets you to the terminal in Southampton around 1:30. If there are more transferees than one coach will hold, those who do not make the first coach will have to wait for a gate to open up at Victoria for the second coach to begin boarding. Bottom line is that those using Princess' coach transfer could easily be among the last persons to check in and board the ship. If having lunch in the MDR is a goal, or you plan to book the Sanctuary or specialty dining upon boarding, it is essential to find an independent transfer that departs central London around breakfast time.

To expand on the response above: the fast train from London Waterloo to Southampton Central takes only 1 hour 20 minutes. Departs twice an hour on weekdays, walkup fare is around 38 pounds--so a little over US$100 for two. Discounts abound for online pre-purchase.

Princess will instruct you to arrive at Victoria Coach Station between 10 and 10:30. If you make the first coach it will at best depart at 11:00; the 2.5 hour drive gets you to the terminal in Southampton around 1:30. If there are more transferees than one coach will hold, those who do not make the first coach will have to wait for a gate to open up at Victoria for the second coach to begin boarding. Bottom line is that those using Princess' coach transfer could easily be among the last persons to check in and board the ship. If having lunch in the MDR is a goal, or you plan to book the Sanctuary or specialty dining upon boarding, it is essential to find an independent transfer that departs central London around breakfast time.

Thanks for correcting and expanding my post, fishywood. Hope kenswing checks back and finds your extremely helpful descriptions...

Thank you Fishywood and Jimmybean for the info. I am doing the Baltic Heritage cruise next year round trip out of Southampton. I was planning to arrive in London at least a day ahead and was concerned about transportation. Copied all your info down!

Thank you Fishywood and Jimmybean for the info. I am doing the Baltic Heritage cruise next year round trip out of Southampton. I was planning to arrive in London at least a day ahead and was concerned about transportation. Copied all your info down!

Here is another option.....

http://www.woodfordchauffeurcars.co.uk/

Does anyone know what time the Princess bus leaves the Victoria Coach Station and what time it arrives at the cruise terminal?

I'll answer your question since not everyone is able or willing to carry/drag/schlep their luggage through the streets of London and onto public transportation. Some people do not object to paying a little more for convenience.

If I remember correctly, I was told last year that boarding begins at 11:00 a.m. and the bus should leave Victoria Station at noon.

Have a great cruise.

We've used the Princess Shuttle from Victoria Coach Station twice. Although it's not the least expensive option, in my opinion, if there aren't any glitches it's very convenient. My biggest complaint is that the station is not that big and can get crowded. However, once you are on the bus there are no other transportation transfers. You are dropped off at the pier.

When you get to the station check the departures board and hopefully Princess will be listed. If not, just ask. You should go to the gate and there will be people with Princess tags. You check in with them and they will give you a number. When your number is called you board the bus. Your luggage will go on a truck. The key here is to get there relatively early, I'd suggest by 10:00 or 10:30 so you get on the first or second bus. They will run multiple busses during the course of the day. However, don't plan on getting to the ship for lunch in the MDR.

Another option is to take what is called the cruise bus. They pick you up right at your hotel or very near your hotel depending on which hotel you stay in. Then you go to Stonehenge and stay for about a hour, maybe a bit more. Then they proceed to the cruise terminal. No need for taxi's at all or carrying bags around. So you get a great tour and a ride all in one. I can't remember the price but you can google Londontoolkit for info and lots more helpful tips.

Edited by timetravler

We did the train from Waterloo on our own and it was sooo easy,fast and fun to do. We had just finished a light lunch when we saw the coach bus arrive with the London group.

So...if you are like us and want to go /do when we are ready and not have to wait for buses to load, unload and late arriving passengers, try the train. I'd actually pay MORE for the train than that long bus ride. So paying much less is a bonus.;)

We had large bags and getting on and off the train is a cinch since the doorways are even with the platform. No steps. The train station is modern, easy to get around with clear signage and with options for a breakfast too, if you'd like.

My vote....have fun and use the train system.

Edited by eandj

Does anyone know what time the Princess bus leaves the Victoria Coach Station and what time it arrives at the cruise terminal?

We chose the train, but after talking to some unhappy cruisers who used the ship transfers, the first bus didn't leave the station until closer to 12:30. We saw that first bus arrive, while we had already had a lunch and were back on our balcony unpacking our carry ons.

When considering the transfers, I called Princess and they told me the bus didn't leave until noon at the earliest. At least them being honest, made our decision easier.

Another option is to take what is called the cruise bus. They pick you up right at your hotel or very near your hotel depending on which hotel you stay in. Then you go to Stonehenge and stay for about a hour, maybe a bit more. Then they proceed to the cruise terminal. No need for taxi's at all or carrying bags around. So you get a great tour and a ride all in one. I can't remember the price but you can google Londontoolkit for info and lots more helpful tips.

Just googled londontoolkit and it has so much info..thanks

We are staying procures at the Grosvenor house, with transfers to the pier. Princess says the trip to the hotel from the house is approximately 2 hours.

Other than that, I have idea as to when the bus will come.

• 2 weeks later...

The train option wins.. We love traveling by train. Hauling our luggage was our biggest concern but you guys make it sound more than manageable.. THANKS!

Those of you that took the train did you go out of Waterloo or Victoria Station? I see Waterloo mentioned a lot but our hotel is very close to Victoria Station..

Edited by Kenswing

I've taken the Princess transfer twice --- first time they didn't have enough buses so we had to wait for more. Didn't leave London until 2pm, then had bad traffic and didn't arrive at ship until 4:30pm. Not happy at all.

Second time there were plenty of buses and we left at 11:30am and got to ship by about 2pm. Easy peasy.

One time we used the LondonToolkit bus to take us from airport hotel to Harwich - very nice. Also took the LondonToolkit bus back from Southampton to London airport hotel via Salisbury, Stonehenge and Windsor. That was fantastic!! Nice way to spend our last day in England.

Those of you that took the train did you go out of Waterloo or Victoria Station? I see Waterloo mentioned a lot but our hotel is very close to Victoria Station..

The train which goes from Victoria to Southampton is a stopping train calling at between 15 and 20 stations, including Gatwick, and the whole journey takes around 2 hours 30 minutes. It is a train used by folks who want to get from London to the intermediate stations or from those stations to Southampton. Very few people would consider using this train to get from London to Southampton.

Trains from Waterloo take a more direct route. The fast trains leave at 35 minutes past the hour, take around 1 hour 15 minutes and stop at Woking, Winchester and Southampton Airport. Even the slow trains on this route only take 1 hour 45 minutes.

The train which goes from Victoria to Southampton is a stopping train calling at between 15 and 20 stations, including Gatwick, and the whole journey takes around 2 hours 30 minutes. It is a train used by folks who want to get from London to the intermediate stations or from those stations to Southampton. Very few people would consider using this train to get from London to Southampton.

Trains from Waterloo take a more direct route. The fast trains leave at 35 minutes past the hour, take around 1 hour 15 minutes and stop at Woking, Winchester and Southampton Airport. Even the slow trains on this route only take 1 hour 45 minutes.

Thank you for the explanation..

We've used the Princess Shuttle from Victoria Coach Station twice. Although it's not the least expensive option, in my opinion, if there aren't any glitches it's very convenient. My biggest complaint is that the station is not that big and can get crowded. However, once you are on the bus there are no other transportation transfers. You are dropped off at the pier.

When you get to the station check the departures board and hopefully Princess will be listed. If not, just ask. You should go to the gate and there will be people with Princess tags. You check in with them and they will give you a number. When your number is called you board the bus. Your luggage will go on a truck. The key here is to get there relatively early, I'd suggest by 10:00 or 10:30 so you get on the first or second bus. They will run multiple busses during the course of the day. However, don't plan on getting to the ship for lunch in the MDR.

Sorry if this is asking the obvious, but have not used Princess coach transfer, so regarding the luggage...Is there room on board the coach for our carry on bag, camera bag, tote bag? I would assume there's some space to keep valuables, medications, etc with us, but not sure how much or where it's put. If so, is that inside, under a seat or in an overhead rack, or in an outside accessed bus hold area?

Whenever we've done the EZ air from Ft Lauderdale, we've kept our carry ons with us and rest of luggage went ahead to airport on a truck, but we rode in a taxi, not a coach bus.

I am amazed that someone said that staff at both rail stations helped to put baggage on and off train. We have actually requested assistance before we travelled and have found no-one to help at Southampton Central train station. Southampton airport station is further from the docks, have no idea how much a taxi would cost from there.

I would always recommend that if at all possible you arrive the day before. We like to stay at the Premier Inn West Quay Southampton. This is really near the docks, a very short taxi ride. Southampton is a nice place to spend time in, plenty to see and do.

Our roads over here can be awful. If there is an accident or incident a road or train line can be closed for hours and if you are stuck in that closure bye bye ship. Far less stress to get to Southampton day early.

I am amazed that someone said that staff at both rail stations helped to put baggage on and off train. We have actually requested assistance before we travelled and have found no-one to help at Southampton Central train station. Southampton airport station is further from the docks, have no idea how much a taxi would cost from there.

I would always recommend that if at all possible you arrive the day before. We like to stay at the Premier Inn West Quay Southampton. This is really near the docks, a very short taxi ride. Southampton is a nice place to spend time in, plenty to see and do.

Our roads over here can be awful. If there is an accident or incident a road or train line can be closed for hours and if you are stuck in that closure bye bye ship. Far less stress to get to Southampton day early.

In advance if you need assistance.They have never let me down at many train stations in UK:)

We are taking the National Express bus for the August 13 cruise from the same Victoria Station as the Princess transfer. The total cost for 3 adults booked online is £33.50.

The bus departs every hour and the trip takes 2 hours and 15 minutes. We chose the 9:30am departure time which gets us to Southampton at 11:45am.

The only difference between the two is the National Express drops you off at the Southampton Coach station and requires a £10 cab ride to the port.