What have you seen from your balcony?

Kermit426

While peacefully cruising Glacier Bay and marveling at the picturesque sights of the snow capped mountains and ice bergs, we heard nothing but the wake gently slapping against the hull as our ship slowly glided through the iceberg dotted sea...

...until the man on the balcony next to us let rip the loudest and longest fart I'd ever heard in my entire life. I kid you not.

I have to confess...I giggled like a 12 year old, tried to contain it, but had to run inside our room where I laughed harder than I ever had before.

And of course we saw him EVERYWHERE we went for the rest of the cruise.

we stopped and rescued a very small raft made of wood pallets tied to steel drums with 5 people from Cuba on it..A little white flag on a pole at one end of it. We were skirting around hurricane jeane so it was really rough during dining. Still rocking and rolling the captain made an abrupt turn and stop that kind really caught everyone off guard. Watched from my balcony and I really became emotional seeing the people climb off the raft and into the doors below. I couldnt shake it all night. Just the desperation it showed. They would have never survived that storm.. :(

Didn't need binoculars for this, but in Skagway we saw a large crowd of young people dancing in complete silence beside the ship for quite a long time, maybe 30 minutes or longer. Square dancing, disco, jive, all in complete silence. It was about 10 p.m. It was quite interesting and odd - I guess like a flash mob.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

On cruises we've seen whales, dolphins, flying fish, some birds, a turtle and a few large fish. Pretty typical wildlife.

DH was on active duty in the Navy in the Med in the early 1980's. Once, they came across a dead bloated rhinoceros that had probably been pushed off a cargo ship when it died. It was probably headed for a zoo. They also came across bales of pot not far from FL when they were returning from Vieques.

Edited by BND

Thanks to the OP for starting this very interesting topic. Gonna be in a balcony for the first time next year on Adventure. Would love to see dolphins, a storm in the distance and pier runners (drunk of course, I am sure it's even funnier). I can do without the naked people :p.

Cindy

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPad met Tapatalk

Seagulls dive-bombing the ocean for fish' date=' then resurfacing.

[/quote']

Yes, we've seen this too, and on a sea day while we were pretty far from land.

Do they fly that far out or do they hitch a ride on cruise ships?

OMG ... what ship did you take this on? This guy looks exactly like Mr Chew ... but I don't think he peers over too many dividers! Of course, he's so tall it would be easy!

Edited by Lady Chew

A naked woman sunbathing on the balcony next door to us. The minute we saw her we turned around and went right back inside. We were just standing at the railing looking at the horizon and she must have headphones on because she never heard us.

You went back inside? :confused: Why? You didn't like the view ..................................

of the horizon of course?;):D

I've seen pier runners, jellyfish, sea turtles, Dolphins.

Seen all of the above+ Welly boot ( british thing ) Plastic chair and if you turn your back to the rail, you can see.................your cabin.:)

Have seen just about everything mentioned here but the submarine, that was frickin amazin!

But our Alaska Radiance is my favorite for all the critters we saw from our balcony....tried to get the link to go . But it was awesome, he really breached and you could see half of his body out of the water. It worked, just click on the gray blob below...the breach is at exactly 1:00 in the video.....but pay no attention to the man behind the curtain...I have a tendency to talk way too much on film...isch!

100%20He%20breaches-M.jpg

Edited by BecciBoo

We were in port and the ship across from us I noticed a guy and a younger girl on their balcony. They had two cabins with the divider open. I don't know why I noticed this but I saw the girl wave goodbye and go inside. A few minutes later the the guy was locked out. Both cabin doors had been locked. We checked back a couple of hours later and he was still out on the balcony pacing. Another hour goes by and we got out to the balcony in time to see the little girl return with what appeared to be his wife. The little girl runs up to him hugging him and kissing him. I bet he wasn't much in the mood for that.

Vortex Crossfire in 8x42 is a good value priced set of binos.

I have a balcony for my August cruise, but not sure I want to pack binos. If I don't I'll miss sometime spectacular...and if I do, nothing special will appear.

LOL.

Excited for our family's first RCI cruise on the Navigator in March 2016. Thinking about taking a pair of binoculars along in hopes of seeing something cool.

A couple questions for those that have cruised, Eastern Caribbean especially.

* What is the coolest thing you have seen from your balcony?

* Do you take binoculars along?

* If so what type/brand to you use and where did you buy them?

(Looking for a nice travel budget friendly pair, not necessarily the best in the world.)

Thanks everyone!

The view coming into port in St Thomas is nice! My first eastern cruise actually went to Labadee from Miami and we got close to some barrier islands on northern Cuba,. Looked liked a great place!