What have you seen from your balcony?

Kermit426

Always bring my binoculars...

Like to look at other ships..some are so far on the horizon you can't see them with the naked eye...

Seen a few warships...a carrier conducting exercises off Virginia...

The craziest thing was a boat load maybe 15-20 Cuban Refugees off the coast of Grand Cayman and watching the whole rescue.

The saddest thing , we were on an Aft balcony and have to wave at a lady as we pulled away in Aruba . She looked so helpless. :(

We were on the way back to Miami from Labadee when a lighthouse appeared seemingly out of nowhere. I could not see land anywhere, except for this lighthouse. I assume it was Bahamian, as were the fishing boats. Also, the water was the calmest I've ever seen.

DSC_0011.JPG

Edited by cyntil8ing

We were about midway between NJ and Bermuda just relaxing outside when suddenly a bird (a finch) swooped down and landed on the balcony railing. After a few seconds, it flew into our cabin, did a few laps around the room and exited. Never saw that bird again all week...:)

We always take binoculars if we're sailing in a balcony cabin. I have Nikon "Action EX" 8x40. Wonderful bright image for a great price - and waterproof. Bought online from Amazon.com .

You don't want to buy anything stronger than 8x, you'll have a hard time keeping them "on target" if there's ship motion. 7x50 used to be almost a standard for ship bridge use, for example.

Edited by pspercy

We always take binoculars if we're sailing in a balcony cabin. I have Nikon "Action EX" 8x40. Wonderful bright image for a great price - and waterproof. Bought online from Amazon.com .

You don't want to buy anything stronger than 8x, you'll have a hard time keeping them "on target" if there's ship motion. 7x50 used to be almost a standard for ship bridge use, for example.

10X are OK for most people too. The guy who recommended 16X binoc's...................:rolleyes:

We have 2 pairs of the Nikon Action EX binoculars. We've only taken them with us on Alaska cruises. I haven't really seen the need on Caribbean itineraries, although I'm sure if there were a pod of dolphins or a rescue occurring, they would be nice to have. We'll be taking them with us for our upcoming Norwegian Fjord excursion though.

We ALWAYS take binoculars :eek:

We have seen so many things including Dolphins, pier runners (love them), one couple missed the boat and had to be hoisted aboard by ropes (yes ropes!), deceased being taken off the ship, an erupting volcano in Hawaii, cool storms in the distance and of course beautiful sunrise and sunsets.

Once you have a balcony, it's hard not to.....

Excited for our family's first RCI cruise on the Navigator in March 2016. Thinking about taking a pair of binoculars along in hopes of seeing something cool.

A couple questions for those that have cruised, Eastern Caribbean especially.

* What is the coolest thing you have seen from your balcony?

* Do you take binoculars along?

* If so what type/brand to you use and where did you buy them?

(Looking for a nice travel budget friendly pair, not necessarily the best in the world.)

Thanks everyone!

I always take binoculars with me. I normally haven't seen anything exciting....just a distant island or a ship. But it is still fun to have them and look at things. I'm not sure what brand they are...but they are an old pair that my grandma used to have.

If you're prone to dizziness don't stare at the water close to the ship while under full power for a long time. You won't notice it while on the ship, but when you get home, your head will be spinning for days.

We do take a small pair of binoculars, depending on the cruise. You can always see ships in the distance and it fun to try to find out what kind they are.

Be aware of balconies near you, even above you. You may see things you don't want to see.

If you're prone to dizziness don't stare at the water close to the ship while under full power for a long time. You won't notice it while on the ship, but when you get home, your head will be spinning for days.

We do take a small pair of binoculars, depending on the cruise. You can always see ships in the distance and it fun to try to find out what kind they are.

Be aware of balconies near you, even above you. You may see things you don't want to see.

Really????

I forgot to mention that while in port we saw a naked person from "behind" packing their suitcase. We couldn't figure out if it was a man or woman :p

Edited by lovesthebeach2

The funniest thing we ever saw from a balcony was in Juneau. A group of kids built a bonfire on the beach and mooned us. Binoculars are the first thing we pack. We always take pictures of other ships we see. You never know when you will be onboard one of them.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Naked people!:eek: Seriously! We had an aft balcony on Brilliance in Jan. 2015 and we were docked in Cozumel next to the Liberty. We were having a glass of wine, watching people coming back to the ship when we noticed a guy on the Liberty just walk out onto his balcony completely naked to talk to his wife. He looked over our way, then jumped back into the cabin and pulled the curtain around himself. :D

A few minutes later there was another couple who never closed their curtains as they dressed for dinner. With cabin lights on, we could see right into their cabin! The man was doing all kinds of body building poses in front of the mirror!! We were not trying to be "creepy peepers" but it was all out there! Remember to pull those curtains when in port!!

Who are you kidding ? you enjoyed every minute of it .