Use of legally prescribed Marijuana on board

ghstudio

actually in NH that IS true. There's been many cases thrown out by judges for cops lying about this. Entrapment IS illegal in NH. If you ask: "Are you a law enforcement officer?", by state law they have to say yes. Of course it ALWAYS helps to have a witness who heard the discussion.

Entrapment is illegal everywhere in the US. An undercover cop saying he's not a cop is not entrapment.

Entrapment is illegal everywhere in the US. An undercover cop saying he's not a cop is not entrapment.

Right. Entrapment would be if an undercover cop offered someone free drugs if he sold drugs for him and the arrests the guy for selling drugs. He's creating the crime. That's illegal whether he says he's a cop or not. That comes up the most under prostitution stings because if you pull up and the girl is smart enough not to offer sex for money, the conversation they have that leads to the offer could be viewed either way.

If an undercover cops pulls up to a drug dealer Or a prostitute, says I'm not a cop, and are offered drugs/sex. That isn't entrapment.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I wonder how Celebrity will handle a situation where a passenger wants to bring legally prescribed marijuana on board and wishes to "take their medication" either in their room or in a public place.

Seems like this is a very sticky problem area that will undoubtedly come up quite soon....and one where Celebrity HQ needs to take firm policy decision that is implemented across all ships.

There are probably two cases to consider.

Case 1...a cruise that only stops at US ports...eg. Hawaii, Alaska Cruises

Case 2...a cruise that stops in non-us ports.

Throw them off the ship faster than you can say Colorado. Legal at home does NOT make MJ legal anywhere else especially on a cruise ship flagged in another country. And no I did Not read all 4 pages to come to this conclusion.

Technically, if the ship makes a stop in Canada (such as some of the Alaskan cruises) and you don't get off the ship, you are not on canadian soil and you are not subject to canadian law. This is equally true in international airports where there is an international zone. Of course if you choose to pass through immigration, that's a different situation.

Additionally, it is not ILLEGAL to have marijuana on a Celebrity ship....it is their rules of passage that prohibit it.

I think it's somewhat inevitable that more states and even the federal government will legalize medical marijuana. Once that happens, the issue will almost certainly arise on cruises that leave from the United States.

However that's the future...I'm wondering what would happen now if you were found to have marijuana on board and you had a legal prescription for it. Would Celebrity challenge you? They would be prohibiting you from taking a medicine prescribed by your doctor.

Just raised the question for people to think how this will evolve.

I watched an episode of border security (TV show) and because the ship was in Canadian waters border security officers searched the vessel. They found prohibited items and charged the passengers. Would that apply to cruise ships as well that dock at Canadian ports?

I watched an episode of border security (TV show) and because the ship was in Canadian waters border security officers searched the vessel. They found prohibited items and charged the passengers. Would that apply to cruise ships as well that dock at Canadian ports?

They would have had to have reasonable suspicion in order to board and search a foreign vessel, or the Master's permission, whether in territorial waters or docked.

Still a totally biased law! Like I said..What would happen if it was a straight couple doing the exact same thing on their balcony. Is that fair?

All laws can be said to be biased.

They were fools, that simple, in many places a "straight" couple would also be arrested for having sex in a public place.

Still a totally biased law! Like I said..What would happen if it was a straight couple doing the exact same thing on their balcony. Is that fair?

I agree. It is blatantly prejudicial. The fact that they still use the archaic term "buggery" just proves how outdated their laws are.

Edited by galensgrl

I agree. It is blatantly prejudicial. The fact that they still use the archaic term "buggery" just proves how outdated their laws are.

It's their country and their laws. If you feel it's wrong, either don't go there, or move there, become a citizen and fight to change the law. Don't try to impose our morality onto others around the world. That's why the world hates us.

Good link http://www.cruzely.com/can-i-bring-marijuana-on-a-cruise/

There would also be the fire safety rules to keep in mind if you choose to smoke the THC I don't think celebrity allows smoking currently in the rooms because of fire safety.

Celebrity does not allow smoking in the rooms or balconies. They don't allow smoking in any indoor area. There are a few designated outdoor smoking areas.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

It's their country and their laws. If you feel it's wrong, either don't go there, or move there, become a citizen and fight to change the law. Don't try to impose our morality onto others around the world. That's why the world hates us.

Exactly. The thought of vacationing in a third world country has never appealed so no worries there. Someone else said that it was unfair and I agreed. I wasn't trying to impose anything on anyone so you can save your self righteous lecture for the next unfortunate poster you choose the chastise over what amounts to an opinion.

Edited by galensgrl

The oils I wanted to bring on are consumed, not smoked. But, with all your logical advice, I no longer plan to bring anything with me on my long awaited carribean cruise that may get me kicked off or put in prison! I didn't think about all the airport security checks I will need to go thru in order to make my cruise. Stupid me, but that is a side affect of medical marijuana. lol

actually in NH that IS true. There's been many cases thrown out by judges for cops lying about this. Entrapment IS illegal in NH. If you ask: "Are you a law enforcement officer?", by state law they have to say yes. Of course it ALWAYS helps to have a witness who heard the discussion.

Sorry Keith, not true and I would suggest you actually look up the definition of entrapment, most people who use it actually have no clue what it means.

The world hates us? The world sure wants us as a best friend when they have their hand out.

Vast generalization. The whole "world hates us?" Maybe the terrorists, etc. But claiming everyone hates us is utterly ridiculous.

In the Bahamas the customs officers board the ship with drug sniffing dogs while you are out on your excursions and search the ship. IF the dog signals, they search the cabin the dog signals. In the US, this would be a warrantless, illegal search and seizure. In the Bahamas, it is routine business.

When you return, they arrest you and shake you down for cash. $500 makes it all go away, otherwise you spend three months in jail:

"When the cruise guests go ashore, the customs officers board the ship with their sniffer dogs and conduct warrantless searches without probable cause."

From: http://www.royalgazette.com/article/20140624/NEWS04/140629872

Don't take anything illegal, even if you are leaving it on the ship. That includes pot gummy bears, etc.

(BTW - that story was about the NCL Breakaway which I believe is flagged in the Bahamas, so they can board and search without regard to universal human rights granted by our creator).

Edited by fshagan

They would have had to have reasonable suspicion in order to board and search a foreign vessel, or the Master's permission, whether in territorial waters or docked.

Not true. When you enter the waters of any country, unless you are claiming innocent passage through their waters, that country's Customs has full authority to conduct Customs border searches. The Master has no say in a Customs boarding.

The oils I wanted to bring on are consumed, not smoked. But, with all your logical advice, I no longer plan to bring anything with me on my long awaited carribean cruise that may get me kicked off or put in prison! I didn't think about all the airport security checks I will need to go thru in order to make my cruise. Stupid me, but that is a side affect of medical marijuana. lol

Glad you re-thought it, could have been a bummer if a vacation otherwise. I imagine that if you live in a state where it's legal recreationally you might 'forget' that it's still and 'illegal drug' to everyone else. In my state smoking is banned in and around all public buildings and it's the best. Forget that it's a state thing until every time I leave the state and notice someone light up a cigarette in a bar or restaurant. When you live around that ever day it just seems like the way things are.

We went to Amsterdam recently. No, still couldn't smoke it cause I get drug tested at work, and as far as work is concerned, I'm testing positive for an illegal drug, whether or not it's consumed legally. It was unreal (and got annoying very quickly) to run into these coffee house ever couple blocks with all the marijuana smoke drifting out of them.

Glad you re-thought it, could have been a bummer if a vacation otherwise. I imagine that if you live in a state where it's legal recreationally you might 'forget' that it's still and 'illegal drug' to everyone else. In my state smoking is banned in and around all public buildings and it's the best. Forget that it's a state thing until every time I leave the state and notice someone light up a cigarette in a bar or restaurant. When you live around that ever day it just seems like the way things are.

We went to Amsterdam recently. No, still couldn't smoke it cause I get drug tested at work, and as far as work is concerned, I'm testing positive for an illegal drug, whether or not it's consumed legally. It was unreal (and got annoying very quickly) to run into these coffee house ever couple blocks with all the marijuana smoke drifting out of them.

Cannabis is still illegal in Amsterdam and the rest of the Netherlands. The only difference is in Amsterdam they have chosen to decriminalize it. In short, the police can't be bothered to arrest and charge individuals with small amounts. It's not actually legal though.

Happened in Dominica. One of the guys was a cop. It was done on purpose, too. we're a gay couple & would never do anything so stupid. Still, I have to wonder, if it was a straight couple, would the same penalty apply? That's when you can tell if the law is fair or not.

I really don't think sexual orientation is relevant here.They were obviously morons and deserved what ever punishment they received. Straight couples deserve exactly the same.

Edited by Mynki

Not true. When you enter the waters of any country, unless you are claiming innocent passage through their waters, that country's Customs has full authority to conduct Customs border searches. The Master has no say in a Customs boarding.

While 19CFR162.3 does give Customs the right to search any vessel within the Customs area of the country, there is a case precedent, US v. Witted, where the court held that search of a cruise ship cabin requires "reasonable suspicion". That's just using the US as an example, other countries may have other limitations on customs searches.

While 19CFR162.3 does give Customs the right to search any vessel within the Customs area of the country, there is a case precedent, US v. Witted, where the court held that search of a cruise ship cabin requires "reasonable suspicion". That's just using the US as an example, other countries may have other limitations on customs searches.

Can they board the ship with anti-4th Amendment doggies and let them provide the "reasonable suspicion" by signaling that a particular cabin door might have drugs behind it?

In other words, if boarding and inspecting is allowed but to search a cabin itself they need "reasonable suspicion" a drug sniffing dog can provide it easily enough.

Even if the dog only wants another cookie.

Can they board the ship with anti-4th Amendment doggies and let them provide the "reasonable suspicion" by signaling that a particular cabin door might have drugs behind it?

In other words, if boarding and inspecting is allowed but to search a cabin itself they need "reasonable suspicion" a drug sniffing dog can provide it easily enough.

Even if the dog only wants another cookie.

I suspect you give up that right when you agree to the cruise contract as well as when you enter another country which has different rights than you believe you're entitled to.

BTW those professionally trained, working dogs are different than your puppy at home that will take a treat from anyone. :eek:

Edited by ChucktownSteve