Same Price, what would you do?

I'm looking at options for a birthday celebration trip (for me...solo traveler) and have found two possibilities on Brilliance. Same price...

Option 1 (would be over my birthday)

12-night Med/Greek Isles

Barcelona

Cannes

La Spezia

Civitavecchia

2 sea days

Athens

Ephesus

Santorini

Sea day

Valleta

Sea day

Barcelona

Option 2 (the following 12 nights)

12-night Med/Venice

Barcelona

Villefranche

Livorno

Civitavecchia

Naples

Sea day

Venice overnight (so two days here)

Ravenna

Montenegro

2 sea days

Barcelona

Both look amazing. I love Italy and so far have only been to Florence. I really want to see Venice and Rome. I really want to go to Greece too! Not so sure about Ephesus (or Turkey for that matter...but it is hard to find a Greek cruise that doesn't hit Turkey). But I do like the thought of having my birthday ON the trip. I'm so torn!! (The Venice one is offered the cruise before the Greek one but only $50 less and we don't get out of school until 6/28 so it would be rushed getting ready.)

Has anyone done one or both of these itineraries? Thoughts on which might be better?

Brilliance also has option 2 on July 25th 2016. Not sure what day is your birthday.....but you could spend your birthday in Barcelona before getting on the ship????

Ooh there is a thought! I was looking at the 7/25 so as not to be rushed getting ready. I could go several days early. Good idea!!

I'm looking at options for a birthday celebration trip (for me...solo traveler) and have found two possibilities on Brilliance. Same price...

I've done both... very very difficult choice, but personally I would pick the overnight in Venice. I sailed on Serenade last year on the itinerary of a lifetime that RCL doesn't offer anymore, and did hit Kotor & Venice. Un-freaking-believable, absolutely and totally bucket list experience. Here's my Serenade review with lots of photos and tips starting in Kotor, Montenegro:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?p=44377600&highlight=kotor#post44377600

For the record, the most amazing thing I have ever experienced on any cruise ship is sailing in and out of Venice. Any and every cruise lover who does the Caribbean over and over and aver again absolutely MUST MUST MUST do Venice at least once in their lifetime. Ideally a back-to-back would be great as Malta, Santorini and the ruins at Ephesus are world class stops as well and memorable beyond belief, but because my Venice experience is #1 on my list in all the cruises I've taken, I give the Venice itinerary the nod. Whatever you choose, you will have an incredibly awesome cruise!!! :D

What is so great about Ephesus?

You do have a tough choice and can't go wrong with either one.

Please do some research on Ephesus. For me, that would be a

pro for that itinerary. The House of the Virgin Mary is a neat spot

to visit and most tours go there. I'm not a religious person but

there is such a sense of calmness there. And then of course

Ephesus has such history. Things are all pretty much close by

(like within 30 minutes or so) and relatively cheap to do whether

you are doing a private tour or on your own. Ephesus may end

up being one of the highlights of your trip.

What is so great about Ephesus?

Google ancient city of Ephesus and you will understand. No photos can truly capture the wonder when you walk the roads that others did thousands of years ago.

The Terrace Houses on site which require an add'l fee, will let you see what life was like for the wealthy of that time. It is said that Marc Antony and Cleopatra honeymooned there.

12-night Med/Greek Isles

Barcelona

Cannes

La Spezia

Civitavecchia

2 sea days

Athens

Ephesus

Santorini

Sea day

Valleta

Sea day

Barcelona

12-night Med/Venice

Barcelona

Villefranche

Livorno

Civitavecchia

Naples

Sea day

Ravenna

Montenegro

2 sea days

Barcelona

Both look amazing. I love Italy and so far have only been to Florence. I really want to see Venice and Rome. I really want to go to Greece too! Not so sure about Ephesus (or Turkey for that matter...but it is hard to find a Greek cruise that doesn't hit Turkey). But I do like the thought of having my birthday ON the trip. I'm so torn!! (The Venice one is offered the cruise before the Greek one but only $50 less and we don't get out of school until 6/28 so it would be rushed getting ready.)

Has anyone done one or both of these itineraries? Thoughts on which might be better?

My choice is #2 "Venice " option. We've done 3 of these and always amazed and awed when entering the Venetian canals. Last time they included Ravenna and has wonderful large sandy beaches.--to our amazement as most of the Italian beaches are rocky.

For us Europeans the Ephesus/Turkey has also another significant reason, other than being stunning historic venue. Turkey means a stop outside EU, hence no VAT for the purchases onboard. To me, that is important.

I've done both... very very difficult choice, but personally I would pick the overnight in Venice. I sailed on Serenade last year on the itinerary of a lifetime that RCL doesn't offer anymore, and did hit Kotor & Venice. Un-freaking-believable, absolutely and totally bucket list experience. Here's my Serenade review with lots of photos and tips starting in Kotor, Montenegro:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?p=44377600&highlight=kotor#post44377600

For the record, the most amazing thing I have ever experienced on any cruise ship is sailing in and out of Venice. Any and every cruise lover who does the Caribbean over and over and aver again absolutely MUST MUST MUST do Venice at least once in their lifetime. Ideally a back-to-back would be great as Malta, Santorini and the ruins at Ephesus are world class stops as well and memorable beyond belief, but because my Venice experience is #1 on my list in all the cruises I've taken, I give the Venice itinerary the nod. Whatever you choose, you will have an incredibly awesome cruise!!! :D

Oh holy crap! Thank you for sharing the link!! I literally teared up seeing Venice, so I think I can say with 100% confidence that if a cruise is the direction I end up going (I'm debating a few options) and assuming I like RCCL (Radiance will be my first this summer - I'm generally a DCL girl), that will be the itinerary I select!!

We booked option # 2 last month and will be leaving in September 2016, main reasons is we have not done Florence or Venice yet so this is one of my bucket list cruises, we liked Greece but love Italy.

I just read your review and loved it. We'll be doing a similar trip next year to Rome, Salerno, Florence, Venice, Ravenna, Kotor and Dubrovnik. I particularly appreciated your detailed description of getting into Venice which was a concern for me. The pics are incredible.

Thanks so much.

12-night Med/Greek Isles

Barcelona

Cannes

La Spezia

Civitavecchia

2 sea days

Athens

Ephesus

Santorini

Sea day

Valleta

Sea day

Barcelona

12-night Med/Venice

Barcelona

Villefranche

Livorno

Civitavecchia

Naples

Sea day

Ravenna

Montenegro

2 sea days

Barcelona

If you can swing it, just reward yourself and do a B2B. We do B2B's all the time!