New Princess Ship - 2017

panamapd

If SF was close to Asia in revenue, I could see that argument. But right now that's way too much money to leave on the table. As more ships get moved there, eventually the market will saturate, but for now, Asia is home to 3/4 of a BILLION potential first time cruisers (who are the most profitable) with 6 ships there full time averaging 4000 pax they could flip the ships over with all new cruisers every week and still have a 500 year supply.

Despite repeatedly saying that I understand the profitability issues, apparently you feel that's it's necessary to convince me that I'm wrong to want a new ship on the west coast which is not going to happen and maybe it's just time to "agree to disagree". :rolleyes:

The name should be a "no-brainer". Let's see now.....There is a Ruby, and an Emerald, and a Sapphire, and a Diamond.....What gemstone is there that is crucial to the cruise industry that has not yet been used as the name for a Princess ship? Ah yes.....Ladies and Gentleman, I give you......

The Tanzanite Princess!!!

That is a great name and so fitting. Maybe a ship in the future will be named "Photos Princess"

The name should be a "no-brainer". Let's see now.....There is a Ruby, and an Emerald, and a Sapphire, and a Diamond.....What gemstone is there that is crucial to the cruise industry that has not yet been used as the name for a Princess ship? Ah yes.....Ladies and Gentleman, I give you......

Good one , I like it.

I thought my whining might elicit such a comment & only surprised that Colo Cruiser didn't post it first...ha, ha! ;)

I have heard Columbus stopped in Denver at some point. :cool:

They have been ignoring us too. :(

I am thinking alternating starting with the Platte River in Omaha NE and they can then go North Platte in Wyoming or connect with South Platte and visit Colorado. It could possibly go by Colo Cruiser's home. He could give private tours!

Edited by Coral

I am thinking alternating starting with the Platte River in Omaha NE and they can then go North Platte in Wyoming or connect with South Platte and visit Colorado. It could possibly go by Colo Cruiser's home. He could give private tours!

Ha, I was going to bring up the Platte!!! But I figured nobody would get it. :)

Hi everyone,

I have just been reading your suggestions regarding the name for any new ships that Princess may be bringing to the fleet.

I have done a little bit of research about the age of some of the ships that we in Australia have had sent our way via P & O and Princess.

The very first cruise ship/migrant ship I sailed on was the SS Strathaird, she according to P&O was the first cruise ship to Australia in 1938, there is a great photo of her docked at Circular Quay in Sydney on the internet under Strathaird.

I know some of you are complaining about having old ships, here in Australia I think we must have some of the originals.

Pacific Pearl (1989) - 26 years

Pacific Jewel (1990) - 25 years

Pacific Dawn (1991) - 24 years, all P&O and all still in service

Sun Princess (1995) - 20 years

Dawn Princess (1997) -18 years

Sea Princess (1998) -17 years

Diamond Princess(2004)- 11 years, all Princess and still in service in Oz

In relation to naming the new ship 'Sky Princess' we have already had a ship sailing to Australia under this name.

I have done some delving on her past and she was previously known as -

Fairsky (1984) -1984-1988

Sky Princess - 1988-2000

Pacific Sky - 2000-2006

Sky Wonder - 2006-2009

Atlantic Star - 2009-2013

Antic - 2013 -? after been sold to Turkey

As you can see, we down in Oz have been getting the much older boats for years now and we haven't complained too much. We in Australia are a reasonably new market to conquer so that is one reason that we are now going to have the Golden and Emerald Princesses heading our way.

P&O is introducing the Pacific Aria and Pacific Eden onto the Australian scene later this year, I think they have both been re-named so I am not quite sure how old these two ships are. P&O ran a competition for the cruising public to name and vote for the new names of these two new ships.

ps. there were 4 'Strath' boats that came to Australia, mainly as migrant ships, Strathnaver (1930), Strathaird (1932), Strathmore (1935)

Stratheden (1937) and no they didn't have any airconditioning.

I can remember as a child having to go and sleep up on deck whilst sailing through the Suez Canal as there was not much air down below to sleep in, they thought we might never wake up so we slept up on deck under the stars, a great experience but we didn't appreciate that at the time.

Please don't let these older ships put you off coming down to see us in Oz and New Zealand, the Dawn Princess is an excellent ship to sail on and looks great when she sails by, she looks very sleek and stylish, not top heavy like some of the new ships are becoming that are being built to cater for a couple of thousand people more per cruise.:):)

P&O is introducing the Pacific Aria and Pacific Eden onto the Australian scene later this year, I think they have both been re-named so I am not quite sure how old these two ships are. P&O ran a competition for the cruising public to name and vote for the new names of these two new ships.

Holland-America's Statendam and Ryndam entered service in 1993 and 1994 respectively.

:D

Thanks for the info.

So hopefully there will be a Mediterranean itinerary before China. If so, we will be on it!

By the way, I too like the names Resplendent and Imperial. I don't think it could be Sky as NCL already has that in its fleet?

Thanks for the info.

So hopefully there will be a Mediterranean itinerary before China. If so, we will be on it!

By the way, I too like the names Resplendent and Imperial. I don't think it could be Sky as NCL already has that in its fleet?

It's not been uncommon in the past for some cruise lines to use the same suffixes or prefixes for ship names:

Carnival Magic and Disney Magic

Norwegian Spirit and Carnival Spirit

Sun Princess and Norwegian Sun

Freedom of the Seas and Carnival Freedom

Carnival Liberty and Liberty of the Seas

Carnival Dream and Disney Dream

Disney Fantasy and Carnival Fantasy

Norwegian Star and Star Princess

Carnival Legend and Legend of the Seas

Splendor of the Seas and Carnival Splendor

Celebrity Cruises and Holland-America have some rather unique names among the mass-market lines.

:D

I vote for PERIDOT! (my birthstone) :)

• 2 weeks later...
We were told by the captain on the Regal that the new ship would be named the SKY Princess.

Bummer... I was hoping to keep with the Royal/Regal "theme" and given that it will be based in Asia, that IMPERIAL PRINCESS had a pretty awesome ring to it

In relation to naming the new ship 'Sky Princess' we have already had a ship sailing to Australia under this name.

I have done some delving on her past and she was previously known as -

Fairsky (1984) -1984-1988

Sky Princess - 1988-2000

Pacific Sky - 2000-2006

Sky Wonder - 2006-2009

Atlantic Star - 2009-2013

Antic - 2013 -? after been sold to Turkey

Sky Princess 1 was sent to Alang and scrapped. She was the last passenger ship built with steam engines.

Not passing judgment but Princess has re-used a lot of it's ship names - Sun, Dawn, Regal, Crown, Royal (twice), Ocean, Star, Golden, Pacific, Island, Sea are all repeats...so I would venture to guess that Ocean or Sky would be the front runners for the new ship.

Edited by bdjam

My guess is that she will be named the Jade Princess.Now if I am correct what is my prize...a key chain, a coffee mug or the coveted Princess pen?

Oh, I'm so sorry, somebody already sent in that answer via their cell phone. They'll get the prize if that's the correct name! :D Better luck next time!

Tom