Mexican Riviera versus Caribbean

wlbox

We have enjoyed many wonderful cruises to the Caribbean. Have done the Southern, Eastern and Western cruises.

Thinking about trying something different and heading to the Mexican Riviera in November.

Princess offers stops at Puerto Vallarta, Mazatlan and Cabo San Lucas.

Living on the east coast transportation will be easier and less expensive.

Should we stick to the Caribbean or try the Mexican Riviera.

We love beaches and swimming. Not into the party scene.

Please help me decide Thanks

We have enjoyed many wonderful cruises to the Caribbean. Have done the Southern, Eastern and Western cruises.

Thinking about trying something different and heading to the Mexican Riviera in November.

Beaches and swimming hands down the Caribbean.

There are beaches in all three MR ports, several all inclusive excursions and other water related excursions available.

Do not expect bath water seas here. The Pacific is a misnomer. She was simply calmer than what Magellan experienced going under South America. She can be rough and cold.

We've sailed many cruises on the MR and only two (Eastern and Western) in the Caribbean. The MR is far less scary when walking off the beaten path.

Edited by SadieN

We love the Mexican Riviera. We love the people, the culture, the food, the history, the whole enchilada. We've been going on land and sea vacations for over 25 years - at least once a year. We especially like PV. We spent a week there last Feb. It was wonderful. We live in San Diego so it's easy for us to drive to San Pedro and be on vacation.

That said, we've done the Caribbean several times as well. The water is amazing, the music is fun and we enjoy the history. My wife says she doesn't care if we go back except for a Panama Canal cruise. We did feel threatened in Montego Bay a few years ago while on a ship's tour.

I say go for it. It's different. You might like it. We love it.

Smooth Sailin'

I worked for Disney Cruise Lines and my contract was based in the Caribbean. If you want a beach vacation, that's your ticket. We honeymooned on DCL in the MR and it was Mexico. It's a bit dirtier than the Caribbean. The water is much murkier and colder (we sailed in late Oct-early Nov). Not as many pushy people as the Carrib but you'll still get them. We are Southern California natives and Mexican food snobs- PV had the best food. I would def opt for Carrib over MR.

If you've enjoyed many cruises to the Caribbean, give Mexican Riviera a try.

You'll never know otherwise. It will be different but not necessarily bad.

I've taken many Caribbean cruises and have found (in my experience) a very different vibe onboard the ship. It's far more laid back and you experience more local culture in port. It was a breath of fresh air compared to the Caribbean. The negative is that there isn't itinerary variety. It would take a lot, though, to get me back to the Caribbean.

Edited by Pam in CA

Perhaps a lot depends on where you are from. Coming from the East Coast, the Caribbean is much easier to access and we prefer it by a mile to Mexico. I found a certain "sameness" to Puerto Vallarta, Mazatlan and Ensenada. Whereas one cannot help but notice the differences between St Thomas, St John, Virgin Gorda, St. Maarten/St. Martin, St. Kitts, St. Barts, Roatan and/or Belize. I find the Caribbean to be far superior to the MR in terms of water clarity, temperature, sand, reefs, snorkeling, fish watching, walking, hiking and anything else that you want to do around the water. There is always something to be said for going to new places. So that has to factor in. But having already been to the MR, I can't imagine what could possibly draw me back there if the Caribbean is also an option.

Are you set on cruising? The most beautiful white beaches and clear turquoise water we've ever experienced is at Grace Bay, Providenciales, in the Turks and Caicos .

A favorite for daily snorkeling is Roatan.

After tiring of many Carib cruises, we have spent land vacations at these both twice. Beach condos are easy to find.

Mexico is ok. We like the culture and history. Used to visit Cancun. But it got too busy. We weren't impressed with the beaches in PV.

If you haven't been, sure try it. Watch safety warnings tho.

Edited by eandj

The Caribbean is the place to go.....we love Cabo san lucas but Puerto:rolleyes: Vallarta, etc is no where near the ambiance of the Caribbean...we tried the Mexican Riviera cruise last year to loreto, etc and were very disappointed. We will always want to go back to Cabo but for an entire trip you cannot beat the Caribbean....we are beach lovers and snorklers.

eclue:rolleyes:

We have cruised both the Carribean many times... and the Mexician Reviera about 6 times over past 10 years... unlike you, we are not beach people at this point in our lives (seniors), so can't speak to the beach scene.

We are booked again, in December to go to Mexico because we can go out of San Francisco RT, take a taxi to the ship, we love being on board the ship. We do not wander far when we go to Mexico.

If you are looking for something different then go to Mexico. If you really don't feel like flying across country go to the Carribean... that is why we don't go to the Carribean any more... flying isn't that much fun.

I do feel folks going to Mexico need to be careful....while I have not heard anything recently about problems affecting tourists, I mention this since you are from the east coast and may not be aware to be careful. What little news there have been recently have been on our southern border.

I would give Mexico a try.....we like the MR better then the Caribbean for a variety of reasons....but the major reason is that it will be a rare day on a MR cruise you will experience 5 cruise ships in port at one time.....we had this happen on Caribbean cruises and there is nothing so enjoyable as being on a small island with 20,000+ of your closest friends for a day:)

The Caribbean has by far the better beaches. In fact, I think that Caribbean beaches beat French Polynesian beaches by a long way. I love the people, the walkability and the difference between the islands (they are definitely NOT all the same).

But saying that, I would definitely go to the MR at least once. I love the food and the tequila. The passenger make up on a MR is definitely different than on a Caribbean cruise...mostly West Coasters. On a Caribbean cruise you get more of a mix.

We have done the MEXRIV a couple of times and while there are aspects of it we rather like we would choose the Caribbean anytime over the MEXRIV any day. During the winter we have only a 4 hr drive to LA vs going up to LAS staying overnight, flying 4.5 hrs to FLL, staying in a hotel there and then getting on a ship the next day. No, the Caribbean still wins.