Taking alcohol on board- No more?

Captain Rob

I hope P&O don't follow Carnival and ban bringing alcohol onboard. https://help.carnival.co.uk/app/answers/detail/a_id/2633/kw/alcohol

We like our VAT in the room while we get ready.

I agree. I liked the idea of bringing on a small(ish) supply with me before. It didn't stop me from spending in the bars either (as my on-board account can testify!) It was nice to be able to enjoy a glass prior to the meal in my cabin whilst getting ready, and still had a glass at the table and a couple of beers in the bar later.

I agree. I liked the idea of bringing on a small(ish) supply with me before. It didn't stop me from spending in the bars either (as my on-board account can testify!) It was nice to be able to enjoy a glass prior to the meal in my cabin whilst getting ready, and still had a glass at the table and a couple of beers in the bar later.

We can't be bothered, we just buy a drink from the nearest bar and take it back to the cabin while we get changed (sometimes I get sent back to get a second one!)

Oh gosh Captain Rob, what will we do now regarding our pre-dinner soirees :eek:

Hi Pat

I will have to fill up on beach days with rum punch and hope it lasts for sea day. Don't think your half bottle of free champagne will go far.

Robin

I couldn't be bothered bringing alcohol on board. I don't want to drink in the cabin. Much rather be in a bar.

I agree entirely. In over 30 cruises I have never felt any need to bring my own drinks for onboard consumption.

Don't like their soft drink policy!

As a diet cokeaholic I drink quite a few cans a day. Fine on Celebrity as they supply what I want and I can pay as i go or buy a package. On P&O the cans are tiny.

Also it is lovely to have a glass of wine on the balcony before dinner - lovely part of cruising. I couldn't be bothered to have to walk to bar and bring a couple of glasses back

But I wouldn't walk to the bar and bring it back??? I would drink it there in the bar. Diet coke is about one of the worst things you can drink, but I expect you know that? http://www.health.com/health/gallery/0,,20739512,00.html

Not even going to look at that link. I have few vices so am not too bothered.

Last Christmas when I was on Adonia the bars were really cold in the evening - glass of wine in cabin much more pleasant

Not even going to look at that link. I have few vices so am not too bothered.

Last Christmas when I was on Adonia the bars were really cold in the evening - glass of wine in cabin much more pleasant

Goodness, we just sailed on Adonia and found Andersons a lovely place for a drink. In fact, half the time you could hardly get a seat. Nice guy playing the piano as well.

It seems to refere only to the American Carnival brand not P and O. I wouldn't cruise with any company that treated me like a naughty schoolgirl and required me to "smuggle" my bottle of gin onboard.

One bottle of gin for balcony consumption does not stop me spending money in the bars as my bill shows! And I buy the tonics from P and O.

On the only ship where I was forbidden to bring alcohol aboard, I managed to. Treat me like a naughty child and I'll behave like one!

There is nothing on the P&O site to indicate that Carnival's new ruling will apply to P&O. Rules tend to be different on American ships.

Quite correct nothing has changed as I can see for over 15 years and as this is one of the aspects which makes P&O stand out I cannot see it changing.

Goodness, we just sailed on Adonia and found Andersons a lovely place for a drink. In fact, half the time you could hardly get a seat. Nice guy playing the piano as well.

I have cruised on Adonia 4 times and on the first 3 cruises loved Andersons. Last Christmas though it was freezing - the air con was on full blast. After 3 nights we gave up and had some drinks in the Crows Nest which was dead at about 7.30pm and some in our cabin

I felt that Christmas cruise was really flat on a lot of grounds and pre dinner drinks was one of them

The only time I have bothered with a bottle in the cabin was when in a balcony cabin in the Caribbean. I bought a bottle of Bailey's and had one last thing at night on the balcony with a coffee.

We tend to take a bottle of Pimms with us. You can have a glass of Pimms from the bars on board but you can't buy a bottle. We enjoy a glass of Pimms -usually get the lemonade on board - lovely, especially in warmer climes!

The thing is, P and O's way is civilised. Being able to take a bottle aboard for a drink on the balcony is civilised.

Making silly rules about taking a reasonable amount of alcohol onboard is uncivilised. It is treating adults like naughty children.

If I cannot take my bottle on board, and maybe bring aboard a bottle of something local along the cruise to try, then I shall not book a balcony, and save money. I do hope someone from P and O is reading this thread. They WILL lose my business if they act stupidly.

Of course there are ways to get your bottle of gin or whatever onboard. I've done it when I cruised once with an uncivilised line. But it's not the way i want to cruise.

I couldn't be bothered bringing alcohol on board. I don't want to drink in the cabin. Much rather be in a bar.

Not possible for everyone, my wife is disabled and it takes her a long time to get ready for dinner, so it is easier to have a drink in our cabin and then head straight for dinner.