Passport or no?

The question is not for me and my family (we have them already) but I am organizing a girls retreat and I am going to suggest that for the obvious reasons everyone should have a passport, but technical does the following on Harmony of the Seas need one?

Fort Lauderdale, Florida

Cruising

Labadee, Haiti

Falmouth, Jamaica

Cruising

Cozumel, Mexico

Cruising

Fort Lauderdale, Florida

The question is not for me and my family (we have them already) but I am organizing a girls retreat and I am going to suggest that for the obvious reasons everyone should have a passport, but technical does the following on Harmony of the Seas need one?

Fort Lauderdale, Florida

Cruising

Labadee, Haiti

Falmouth, Jamaica

Cruising

Cozumel, Mexico

Cruising

Fort Lauderdale, Florida

By all means I say yes to passports. Not only does it make it easier getting back into the USA, it opens up a world of opportunity for other travel to other countries and you will be set for the next 10 years.

Fort Lauderdale, Florida

Cruising

Labadee, Haiti

Falmouth, Jamaica

Cruising

Cozumel, Mexico

Cruising

Fort Lauderdale, Florida

Technically, since it is a closed loop cruise, passports are not required. An official birth certificate and a government issued photo ID will be acceptable.

Fort Lauderdale, Florida

Cruising

Labadee, Haiti

Falmouth, Jamaica

Cruising

Cozumel, Mexico

Cruising

Fort Lauderdale, Florida

No, a passport is not required.

Fort Lauderdale, Florida

Cruising

Labadee, Haiti

Falmouth, Jamaica

Cruising

Cozumel, Mexico

Cruising

Fort Lauderdale, Florida

From RCCL's site, the official word:

CRUISES FROM A UNITED STATES PORT

The following requirements are for sailings from a United States port to the Caribbean, Bahamas, Bermuda, Canada/New England, Hawaii, Alaska, Panama Canal and Mexico.

United States and Canadian Citizens:

You MUST have one of the following:

A valid United States or Canadian passport. For additional United States passport information visit the United States Department of State travel information website or the Passport Canada website. Visa Central is the passport and visa service that we recommend, should our guests need passport and visa assistance. You may contact Visa Central for all your passport needs. Visa Central can obtain passports in as little as one day. US Residents, please contact VisaCentral online at http://www.visacentral.com/royalcaribbean, email rci@visacentral.com or call 800-858-8579, and be sure to reference Royal Caribbean account 44988 for reduced service fees. Canada residents, please contact http://www.visacentral.ca/royalcaribbean, email rci@visacentral.com or call 8888-665-9956, and be sure to reference Royal Caribbean account 10026 for reduced service fees.

- OR -

Western Hemisphere Travel Initiative (WHTI) or Trusted Travel Documents. Click here for a list of all approved documents.

Exceptions:

United States citizens on cruises that begin and end at the same port in the United States can use a original government-issued picture ID (i.e. driver's license) AND an original government-issued birth certificate or original Naturalization Certificate.

Minors under the age of 16 will be able to present either an original government-issued, original or certified copy of his or her birth certificate; a Consular Report of Birth Abroad Issued by DOA; or Certificate of Naturalization issued by United States Citizenship and Immigration Services.

Note: Baptismal papers and hospital certificates of birth are NOT acceptable. Military identification cards, voter registration cards or Social Security cards are NOT considered proof of citizenship.

United States Permanent Residents:

You MUST have the following:

United States Permanent Resident Card. Click here for additional information.

- AND -

A passport from your home country is strongly recommended.

Canadian Legal Residents:

Passport from your home country.

- AND -

Original copy of your Permanent Resident Card (PR Card), formerly the IMM 1000.

- AND -

Multiple entry United States visa (if applicable).

All Other Nationalities:

Passport from your home country.

- AND -

Multiple entry United States visa (if applicable).

All non U.S. or Canadian passport holders should contact the Embassy (Consular Services) of each country on your cruise or VisaCentral for specific visa requirements, information, forms and fees for your nationality. Visa Central is the passport and visa service that we recommend, should our guests need passport and visa assistance. You may contact Visa Central for all your passport needs. Visa Central can obtain passports in as little as one day. US Residents, please contact VisaCentral online at http://www.visacentral.com/royalcaribbean, email rci@visacentral.com or call 800-858-8579, and be sure to reference Royal Caribbean account 44988 for reduced service fees. Canada residents, please contact http://www.visacentral.ca/royalcaribbean, email rci@visacentral.com or call 8888-665-9956, and be sure to reference Royal Caribbean account 10026 for reduced service fees.

You may also contact your travel agent or local Royal Caribbean International office for further assistance.

It is the responsibility of the guest to identify, obtain and present necessary visas before the start of their cruise vacation. Requirements vary based on the guest’s nationality and countries visiting during the cruise. The following resources may be of assistance to guests in determining if a visa is required:

Please note the most recent visa requirements for non-United States guests sailing on an Alaskan itinerary require a Canadian visa to participate in the cruise. Click here to get more details.

If you travel GET THE PASSPORTS. if $100 is an issue simple just do not go. Flame away for being blunt!!!!!!!!

Having said that, you do not really need a PP but what if you do, in an emergency.

But what happens if you miss the ship and have no passport with you?

And what are the odds of someone missing the ship? I'm not saying it doesn't happen, but is it realistic?

People will often cruise without travel insurance. Not a good idea in my mind, but if they are willing to take the extra financial/time risk, that's up to them. It's the same with passports.

The OP already stated that for obvious reasons she would suggest that everyone have a passport. She already knows the reasons why people should not leave the country without one. The answer to the question that was asked, which everyone here pretty much knows, is no. Pretty simple.

Just wanted to add my recent experience. My family all has passports. I noticed four days before leaving mind had expired. Crikey!!! Anyway an original birth certificate and license was sufficient. However my license has my married name on it and I never thought nor did anyone at rcl mention to me ( I know I'm stupid to have not thought). They wanted a marriage certificate as well because obviously the names don't match up. They were able to accommodate me as I had my expired passport etc but it is so not worth the stress. Lesson learned. Check passports when you book

Make a copy of your passport and keep that with you. We leave the original in the room safe.

This is one argument that I never understood. If the issue here resolves around missing the ship, what is the point in having both the ship and your passport sail away while you are on land?

Just wanted to add my recent experience. My family all has passports. I noticed four days before leaving mind had expired. Crikey!!! Anyway an original birth certificate and license was sufficient. However my license has my married name on it and I never thought nor did anyone at rcl mention to me ( I know I'm stupid to have not thought). They wanted a marriage certificate as well because obviously the names don't match up. They were able to accommodate me as I had my expired passport etc but it is so not worth the stress. Lesson learned. Check passports when you book

you still would have boarded even without the expired passport. Hundreds do every day. They were just giving you a tough time for nothing.

The only time you need a marraige certificate is if someone newly married books under their new name and has no picture ID in that name

Edited by SeaUs

This is one argument that I never understood. If the issue here resolves around missing the ship, what is the point in having both the ship and your passport sail away while you are on land?

Heard that RCI staff will actually go into your cabin and open the safe and hand passport to the port agent before departing.

It is funny to me that people will spend thousands of dollars to cruise every year and spend hundreds on drink packages but will turn their nose up about spending $100 for a passport.

Heard that RCI staff will actually go into your cabin and open the safe and hand passport to the port agent before departing.

And we were told by an officer that that was a myth spread on cc and they don't hand in your passport to the port agent

Who to believe, who knows

Edited by Tiggertastic

It is funny to me that people will spend thousands of dollars to cruise every year and spend hundreds on drink packages but will turn their nose up about spending $100 for a passport.

Maybe because they see an immediate payback in the cruise rate and drink package, but the payout on a passport is only IF something bad happens?

Like I mentioned up thread, a passport is the same as trip insurance.