Why are you happy to pay gratuities?

outoftowner

We agreed to it. Prepaid or otherwise. We are not ignorant of the arrangement.

We answer to a higher law than poorly understood and wrongly interpreted "case law".

The cruise staff work hard and we are appreciative of good work ethic and kindness.

What about you?

I am not happy to pay gratuities.

I do however pay them and usually give extra tips, not because I believe in the tipping culture but because I recognise that the service staff are poorly paid. I would much rather they were better paid and the fare was all inclusive. And before the usual yobs come along and tell me how much more that would cost I have already had multiple cruises on all inclusive lines. *yawn*

I am happy to pay the gratuities, because I am grateful for the service. And we go above and beyond the suggested amount, by giving cash for various services if it is exceptional.

My philosophy is don't take the cruise if you're not going to tip. It is what it is, and it's a necessary expense to be factored into the equation.

Personally, I would not enjoy myself if I did not tip, while experiencing a luxury vacation at the expense of other's sweat and toil.

Being an intelligent person, I fully realize that if the cruise lines were to remove the $175 of gratuities that I might be paying on a particular cruise, they would be raising the price of the cruise by at least that same $175 so the affected staff will still have the same income. I am intelligent enough to understand that I will be paying for the staff's income either way.

I am endlessly puzzled why some people don't get this simple fact. :confused:

So, my answer is "Yes, I am happy to pay the tips." It makes me feel more connected with the staff I am in contact with than if I paid the same amount in higher fares. I don't complain or try to weasel out of paying it like some selfish people do.

Edited by SantaFeFan

We agreed to it. Prepaid or otherwise. We are not ignorant of the arrangement.

We answer to a higher law than poorly understood and wrongly interpreted "case law".

The cruise staff work hard and we are appreciative of good work ethic and kindness.

What about you?

Maybe I'm just tired, but I've read your post a few times and really have no idea what you are getting at. :confused:

I am not happy to pay gratuities.

I do however pay them and usually give extra tips, not because I believe in the tipping culture but because I recognise that the service staff are poorly paid. I would much rather they were better paid and the fare was all inclusive. And before the usual yobs come along and tell me how much more that would cost I have already had multiple cruises on all inclusive lines. *yawn*

I don't resent paying gratuities. Also, I tip extra when the service is excellent.

Further, I don't believe the service staff is poorly paid.

We make a point to get to know a lot of our servers and stewards. Most come from countries where working on a cruise ship is a huge increase over what they would make in their home countries.

Some have indicated to us that they will work 10-20 years, saving their money and go home and start a business.

I have worked in the Middle East, where many different nationalities come to make money. I remember a construction project where there was a worker from Bangladesh who had a PhD from an English University. He said he was making more working as a construction worker than what he would make at a University in Bangladesh.

I don't resent paying gratuities. Also, I tip extra when the service is excellent.

Further, I don't believe the service staff is poorly paid.

We make a point to get to know a lot of our servers and stewards. Most come from countries where working on a cruise ship is a huge increase over what they would make in their home countries.

Some have indicated to us that they will work 10-20 years, saving their money and go home and start a business.

I have worked in the Middle East, where many different nationalities come to make money. I remember a construction project where there was a worker from Bangladesh who had a PhD from an English University. He said he was making more working as a construction worker than what he would make at a University in Bangladesh.

so do you tip the captain for getting you in to port on time and for avoiding bad weather?

Being an intelligent person, I fully realize that if the cruise lines were to remove the $175 of gratuities that I might be paying on a particular cruise, they would be raising the price of the cruise by at least that same $175 so the affected staff will still have the same income. I am intelligent enough to understand that I will be paying for the staff's income either way.

I am endlessly puzzled why some people don't get this simple fact. :confused:

So, my answer is "Yes, I am happy to pay the tips." It makes me feel more connected with the staff I am in contact with than if I paid the same amount in higher fares. I don't complain or try to weasel out of paying it like some clueless people do.

Yep. That too! We are paying the tips or with an all-inclusive will be paying a price increase. I'm accustomed to it anyway, it's a big part of the restaurant culture in the Philadelphia area, Philly folks are well known as generous tippers.

Wow. Well the captain makes a huge salary' date=' and the cabin steward cleans toilets for a lot less. Hmmm. Apples and oranges.[/quote']

You need to re-read the post I quoted as they insisted that cabin staff were already very well paid

You need to re-read the post I quoted as they insisted that cabin staff were already very well paid

How do you go from "paid better than positions in their home countries" to "very well paid"? :confused: They may be making a salary that's *somewhat* comparable to blue-collar work in a developed country, as opposed to living in extreme poverty by any civilized standards; they also work 16-hour days for months on end without days off for that salary. Would you want to do what they do?

There are plenty of times in life when I feel like I'm being constantly ripped off (my internet & satellite TV bill comes to mind...) I have no problem whatsoever with daily charges on cruises, I'm getting more than my money's worth out of them.

Edited by Illyria

How do you go from "paid better than positions in their home countries" to "very well paid"? :confused: They may be making a salary that's *somewhat* comparable to blue-collar work in a developed country, as opposed to living in extreme poverty by any civilized standards; they also work 16-hour days for months on end without days off for that salary. Would you want to do what they do?

For heavens sake, why are you attacking me for questioning someone else?

If you have an argument with my views then properly read my views and not just my response to someone else.

For heavens sake, why are you attacking me for questioning someone else?

If you have an argument with my views then properly read my views and not just my response to someone else.

I apologize, I misread your 2nd post (where you were pointing out someone else saying that...missed the word "they").

I apologize, I misread your 2nd post (where you were pointing out someone else saying that...missed the word "they").

And there is the rub with tipping threads. Certain cultures are adamant their forms of renumeration of service staff are unquestionably the best. And if anyone dares question they attack without properly reading or considering the arguments.

But I thank you for your apology.

I resent it being called a tip, it's a fixed fee automatically added to your bill. I also resent them telling me how much money to tip, it should be a personal choice based on how exceptional the service was. Working hard is not a reason to tip, the results of the hard work is. The cruise rates should be adjusted to reflect good service. If somebody excels, the cruiser can give them extra if they choose.

It is a tip...even tho they call it something different....you are SUPPOSED to tip those that serve you...it's polite. I guess there are just so many uneducated travelers nowadays, the cruise line felt they had to direct the "tipping", since so many don't seem to know the accepted convention of tipping.

It amazes me that so many don't seem to know that you're supposed to tip your housekeeper in a hotel....

Remember not to criticize because someone on here will have your opinions erased...I have no problem with tipping and also tip extra if warranted. Over the years my DH and I have made some great friendships with crew members! On our last cruise(early July)we wrote Celebrity about a crew member who was outstanding; he wasn't even ours!

Sick and tired hearing about how underpaid these servers are. They are waiters from third world counties.

According to the cruse ship these are their average salaries:

Tipping personnel

Tipping personnel are the staff with direct contact with the guests who pay them "tips". There are specified amounts of tips per particular positions which are advised to guests prior to embarkation and which vary from one cruise line to another. Such personnel are waiters, busboys /assistant waiters, bar waiters/waitresses, bartenders, cocktail waitresses, etc. Tipping personnel have a small base salary. Most of their earnings are tips. Approximate sample earnings in this group are (in U.S. Dollars per month):

Waiter from $2500 to $4000

Busboy / Assistant Waiter from $1500 to $3000

Bar Waiter / Waitress from $1000 to $2500

Bartender from $1500 to $3000

How many waiters and bar tenders in the US net this much a month after tax's and all expenses (room and board is free on cruise ship to people who work there).

If it really be known the entertainers are the ones really in need of tips as they only make 2000 or so a month and are not allowed to solicit tips so always buy their CD and throw it away it you want. This is the one way we can get better entertainers on board if they are paid better.

I am happy to pay the gratuities' date=' because I am grateful for the service. And we go above and beyond the suggested amount, by giving cash for various services if it is exceptional.

My philosophy is don't take the cruise if you're not going to tip. It is what it is, and it's a necessary expense to be factored into the equation.

Personally, I would not enjoy myself if I did not tip, while experiencing a luxury vacation at the expense of other's sweat and toil.[/quote']

Well said!

Sick and tired hearing about how underpaid these servers are. They are waiters from third world counties.

According to the cruse ship these are their average salaries:

Tipping personnel

Tipping personnel are the staff with direct contact with the guests who pay them "tips". There are specified amounts of tips per particular positions which are advised to guests prior to embarkation and which vary from one cruise line to another. Such personnel are waiters, busboys /assistant waiters, bar waiters/waitresses, bartenders, cocktail waitresses, etc. Tipping personnel have a small base salary. Most of their earnings are tips. Approximate sample earnings in this group are (in U.S. Dollars per month):

Waiter from $2500 to $4000

Busboy / Assistant Waiter from $1500 to $3000

Bar Waiter / Waitress from $1000 to $2500

Bartender from $1500 to $3000

How many waiters and bar tenders in the US net this much a month after tax's and all expenses (room and board is free on cruise ship to people who work there).

If it really be known the entertainers are the ones really in need of tips as they only make 2000 or so a month and are not allowed to solicit tips so always buy their CD and throw it away it you want. This is the one way we can get better entertainers on board if they are paid better.

How many waiters or bartenders do you know that work 18 hours a day/7 days a week for 9 months straight?