"Gala nights"

Moriah

Thanks for the menus Cruz Chic! It's very cool that you have a historical record.

Considering the mass throw away I'm doing lately it's a wonder I'm keeping them. Sorry about the crappy format but at least you get a rough idea. Its fun to look at them, I think.

He also made outstanding prime rib. :) The best, best, best liver and onions I ever had was in Venice. :)

Agree with you on that - for me it was Fegato alla Venezia at La Taverna Fenice - 1969 - never forgotten. Ambrosia. In a class by itself.

I'm surprised that anyone who loves fine food and wine would sail on HAL. There are valid reasons to sail on HAL, but good food and wine isn't one of them. You might as well stay home and visit Red Lobster and Olive Garden.

That's a bit harsh.

"Fine food and wine" needn't be the fancy art projects that are all the rage now. Top Chef, MasterChef, Heston Blumenthal and the have done a serious disservice to the food service industry. Just because something isn't the in the current fashion does not mean it's not fine food.

I've never had a bad meal on any of my Holland America cruises, but I've never seen art projects disguised as dinner either.

That's a bit harsh.

"Fine food and wine" needn't be the fancy art projects that are all the rage now. Top Chef, MasterChef, Heston Blumenthal and the have done a serious disservice to the food service industry. Just because something isn't the in the current fashion does not mean it's not fine food.

I've never had a bad meal on any of my Holland America cruises, but I've never seen art projects disguised as dinner either.

I am another person who really doesn't care for creativity in presentation. As long as the food tastes good and is neatly arranged on the plate I am perfectly happy.

It doesn't have to be exotic cuisine either. Heck, I just consider that I didn't have to shop for it, cook it, serve it or clean up after it. I honestly suspect this is why I love taking longer cruises as it means none of the aforementioned is required for a long time.

I like duck. Confit hash at breakfast is delicious. Duck breast is nice as well. I'm also quite fond of duck liver pate. (We gave up our PETA cards with the first mink.)

There were lots of duck offerings on our cruise. It was on the menu at least 3 times in the first 16 days alone :)

I just checked our docs for August and it says 2 formal and 5 smart casual, same as always. So I guess nothing "gala" is happening on our cruise.

That's one of the problems with formal nights on HAL. There's nothing special beyond the dress code, no event or venue that makes you feel that you should be dressed up.

In the old days of cruising, there was the Captain's cocktail party/reception on a formal night, and maybe a cocktail party for past passengers. Something to say "thank you for dressing up and making this an Occasion." That's one of the things I like on Cunard. Formal nights really are formal, and they make an effort to make the evening special.

Of course, I admit that I pay more per day for a comparable cabin on QM2 than I pay on HAL. And a larger ship has more room for balls and large parties. So I adjust my packing and expectations accordingly, depending on which line I'm on.

My biggest complaint about HAL's formal/gala nights is that they exist in name only. "Enforcement" varies widely. They need to decide what they want to be and not try to be all things to all people. Formal optional doesn't cut it. Those of us who like to dress up appreciate when others make the effort, too. I've been on another line where we went to a bar for a drink before dinner. We were in our formal wear, and at the next table I had an inescapable view of a couple in cut-offs and tank tops. I looked at my husband in his lovely tux and thought, why did we bother?

Since their formal nights get less formal all the time, maybe HAL should accept that and make it official. Be what they really are and not pretend to be something else.

I am another person who really doesn't care for creativity in presentation. As long as the food tastes good and is neatly arranged on the plate I am perfectly happy.

It doesn't have to be exotic cuisine either. Heck, I just consider that I didn't have to shop for it, cook it, serve it or clean up after it. I honestly suspect this is why I love taking longer cruises as it means none of the aforementioned is required for a long time.

Yes, exactly this.:)

Formal for one person is another's casual. We have friends traveling with us who live in a very rural area. Dressing up for them means black jeans. Why should they have to go buy formal clothes to fit another's idea of what should be?

With that said, as we do not want anyone to be uncomfortable, we will dine in our room on formal night so we can still have a nice sit down dinner and enjoy each others company.

For MYSELF, I dress how I want to and not for others. I DO dress up as that is my preference. I never feel out of place or "overdressed" because I know who I am. No one has ever commented or "said something" to me. If anyone did, I would wonder why a person would try to make someone else feel badly about their appearance!

Formal for one person is another's casual. We have friends traveling with us who live in a very rural area. Dressing up for them means black jeans. Why should they have to go buy formal clothes to fit another's idea of what should be?

With that said, as we do not want anyone to be uncomfortable, we will dine in our room on formal night so we can still have a nice sit down dinner and enjoy each others company.

For MYSELF, I dress how I want to and not for others. I DO dress up as that is my preference. I never feel out of place or "overdressed" because I know who I am. No one has ever commented or "said something" to me. If anyone did, I would wonder why a person would try to make someone else feel badly about their appearance!

They don't need to go and buy formal clothes. They can eat in Canaletto, at the buffet or have in room dining.

I concur. Someone above commented that they appreciate when others make the effort to dress up, too. Honestly, we work very hard to be able to travel and take relaxing vacations. We pay our cruise lines to provide this for us and I could honestly not care less what another passenger appreciates about me nor do I expect anyone else to care what I think when they are on their vacation. On the other hand, I will follow the dress code for the so-called formal evenings if this is what is expected and enforced by the cruise line itself, but, apparently, even the cruise line doesn't REALLY expect it or they'd enforce it more. Therefore, I say, "To each his/her own!" :D Life is much simpler that way!

They don't need to go and buy formal clothes. They can eat in Canaletto, at the buffet or have in room dining.

Yes, they could, but why should they if the MDR is allowing people to be seated if they aren't following the dress code? On our cruise last week, a guy was seated who wearing a t-shirt and shorts (albeit, the t-shirt had a tuxedo image screen printed on the front of it :D ) Instead of being aghast, I actually thought it quite funny. This gentleman was certainly having a good time on his vacation.

I'm confused because earlier on this thread it was linked that Gala nights no longer require a coat and tie. What am I missing?

The HAL description for men's attire clearly says jacket & tie on Gala night.

The reading that it is not appropriate was in error.

I concur. Someone above commented that they appreciate when others make the effort to dress up, too. Honestly, we work very hard to be able to travel and take relaxing vacations. We pay our cruise lines to provide this for us and I could honestly not care less what another passenger appreciates about me nor do I expect anyone else to care what I think when they are on their vacation. On the other hand, I will follow the dress code for the so-called formal evenings if this is what is expected and enforced by the cruise line itself, but, apparently, even the cruise line doesn't REALLY expect it or they'd enforce it more. Therefore, I say, "To each his/her own!" :D Life is much simpler that way!

(Bold is mine)

This is my point. HAL says they have formal nights, but what they say isn't what happens. They give a description of what passengers are expected/asked to wear. From my docs:

On festive Formal evenings,

ladies usually wear a suit, cocktail dress or gown and gentlemen wear a

jacket and tie, dark suit or tuxedo. There are approximately two formal

nights per week.

In order to complement your fellow guests, Holland America Line

asks that you observe the suggested dress code throughout the entire

evening.

If you had never sailed HAL before and read that, your expectations of what you "should do" and could expect to see would NOT match the actual experience. It varies widely from ship to ship and maître d' to maître d'. I have seen jacketless men turned away from the MDR on formal nights. I have seen jacketless men offered loaner jackets on formal nights. I have seen men in golf shirts (no jacket) be seated on formal nights. I don't mean to pick on the men, but these are easy examples to describe and compare to HAL's wording. There's even more variation in women's clothing.

Cost should really no longer be the issue about formal wear today: ebay has great selections in easy pack, easy wear fabrics for both men and women. Plus HAL offers rental formal wear at a nominal charge. We are talking a few dollars here, not hundreds of dollars.

People can pretty much wear whatever they want on "gala" night is the point right now. So just do it; no need for tortured explanations. Just show up how you best feel comfortable for yourself alone. I am glad HAL offers the option for special dressing for those who still find this a fun option on at least a few nights during a cruise vacation. Agree, it is a quirky tradition left over from the days of steamer trunks and multi-class ships passengers. Hate to see it go, but it is on creaky legs these days.

Edited by OlsSalt

Yes, they could, but why should they if the MDR is allowing people to be seated if they aren't following the dress code? On our cruise last week, a guy was seated who wearing a t-shirt and shorts (albeit, the t-shirt had a tuxedo image screen printed on the front of it :D ) Instead of being aghast, I actually thought it quite funny. This gentleman was certainly having a good time on his vacation.

They do enforce it on some ships.