Why clean the cabins twice a day?

fstuff1

wouldn't ncl save ALOT of labor if they only cleaned the cabins in the morning, like land hotels?

Yeah maybe, would you want to make up the room for the evening? Pull down the beds, turn down service, resupply products/ice etc. We normally see our steward more than twice each day and he/she always has things to be done. Some rooms need a lot more work than others!!!

wouldn't ncl save ALOT of labor if they only cleaned the cabins in the morning, like land hotels?

The don't clean the cabins twice a day. They are cleaned / may up in the morning and are turned down in the evening. Turn down service takes about 5 minutes.

They'll also replace towels and toilet tissue, take away dirty dishes, provide more ice, replace used glasses, empty trash and have been known to dry showers and sinks. Then there's the towel animals that have to be made, linens to store, curtains to be pulled, lights to be set (yeah, I'm getting carried away here.). Regardless, that's a lot more than 5 min.

They'll also replace towels and toilet tissue, take away dirty dishes, provide more ice, replace used glasses, empty trash and have been known to dry showers and sinks. Then there's the towel animals that have to be made, linens to store, curtains to be pulled, lights to be set (yeah, I'm getting carried away here.). Regardless, that's a lot more than 5 min.

I agree with this, plus deliver the dailies for the next day. If they did not do this the one thing I will really miss in addtion to the daily is the ice. There is no way to get ice except in your bucket.

Edited by drvalo

Unlike the staff at a hotel, the crew lives on the ship and they are there anyway. They don't get paid hourly but a set monthly amount per contract. Unless they did double duty like work in the bars during the evening (which could get very complicated) it would just mean extra time off for them. No savings to NCL plus less productivity and lower customer service rankings as people enjoy the turndown service. I don't see how this would benefit NCL or the consumer at all.

Why be so concerned about saving NCL money anyway? Trust me they are doing just fine and I assure you they are not looking for ways to save you any money. We certainly don't need to give them anymore ideas to degrade the experience. They are doing that just fine on their own.

There's always putting up the 'Do not Disturb' sign and cleaing the room plus making your bed yourself. [emoji57]

Sent from my SGH-T399 using Tapatalk

Yep! Sometimes we will be late leaving the cabin in the morning and I know this is an inconvenience to the steward. So a quick pick up and pulling the beds together is really all we need to do. If we do see the steward we always tell him everything is OK. Usually all we need are fresh towels and that can provided in the evening.

Also it's a good idea when you initially meet your steward is to let him know that you don't want to hold him up and will require little maintenance.

On our first cruise our steward was pestered often by one couple. One of them would stand in the cabin doorway and yell "Steward" until the poor fellow dropped everything and came running!

So by not being demanding we've found that our stewards have been outstanding! OK there was that one that was so glum and had a rigid schedule but after a couple of days all was well.

There's always putting up the 'Do not Disturb' sign and cleaing the room plus making your bed yourself.

This doesn't always work. We put up the DND sign to take a nap and within 1 hour we got a phone call from guest services telling us that the steward needed to turn the room down. :(

Some land hotels do clean twice a day...once in the morning and again a quick 'clean up' when they come in to turn down the bed.

However, feel free to tell your room steward to only come once a day :)

Harriet

Sorry I was trying to be sarcastic, the little icon never showed up. Yup they spend a decent amount of time their second time around. Its pretty simple if you don't want that done, just put of the do not disturb sign.

Some land hotels do clean twice a day...once in the morning and again a quick 'clean up' when they come in to turn down the bed.

However, feel free to tell your room steward to only come once a day :)

Harriet

Absolutely, some land hotels do also clean twice a day.

Per above, if you only want your room steward to do it once a day, just tell him. No Problem! :)

LuLu

Unlike in a hotel we spend more time aboard ship, especially on sea days. It makes sense to have a change of towels a second time since after using the pool or being on a tour, we shower before dinner. We also appreciate having the ice bucket filled with fresh towels.

Even if nothing else were done, fresh towels and fresh ice makes sense.

Unlike in a hotel we spend more time aboard ship, especially on sea days. It makes sense to have a change of towels a second time since after using the pool or being on a tour, we shower before dinner. We also appreciate having the ice bucket filled with fresh towels.

Even if nothing else were done, fresh towels and fresh ice makes sense.

I've never had my ice bucket filled with fresh towels, only ice. :D

Sorry, just couldn't resist. LOL.

My advice to you; stay in better hotels on land.

I am a twice a day shower person, three times sometimes on holiday and get through a lot of towels/toiletries. It's a big advantage having the twice daily service and not having bundles of towels in the bathroom.

A UK Carnival brand 'Ocean Village' only did once a day service but it just meant the housekeeping staff were allocated more cabins, your cabin would sometimes be serviced later in the day and they worked throughout the day but had the night off, meaning they often missed getting off on shore.

Unlike the staff at a hotel, the crew lives on the ship and they are there anyway. They don't get paid hourly but a set monthly amount per contract. Unless they did double duty like work in the bars during the evening (which could get very complicated) it would just mean extra time off for them. No savings to NCL plus less productivity and lower customer service rankings as people enjoy the turndown service. I don't see how this would benefit NCL or the consumer at all.

Why be so concerned about saving NCL money anyway? Trust me they are doing just fine and I assure you they are not looking for ways to save you any money. We certainly don't need to give them anymore ideas to degrade the experience. They are doing that just fine on their own.

Actually most of the compensation for the stewards comes from the service charge passengers pay, so this wouldn't save NCL any money at all. (And how many people really want to pay more money for less service, since they just raised the service charge amount).