Does anyone else NOT fly?

Hi I am a single widow 59 years young and just now thinking of my first cruise.(solo)......but I do not and cannot fly.....this poses a real problem to get to the port of embarkation Anyone else have this dilemma?. I live in beautiful Colorado so Miami seems to be a daunting bus ride....lol.......I want to go to Caribbean. so any past for present cruisers that do not fly please let me know your experiences.. Thanks.

I would suggest the train. With a sleeper if available. I have had good experiences the the train especially with a sleeper accomodation.

best wishes.

It is possible that the OP has a medical reason she "cannot fly". It seems presumptuous to assume it is a choice.

No more presumptuous than to assume that there is a medical reason. It can be a greater kindness to suggest seeking help rather than to facilitate a life-diminishing (and arguably beatable) phobia --- which many people have, in fact, beaten.

Hi I am a single widow 59 years young and just now thinking of my first cruise.(solo)......but I do not and cannot fly.....this poses a real problem to get to the port of embarkation Anyone else have this dilemma?. I live in beautiful Colorado so Miami seems to be a daunting bus ride....lol.......I want to go to Caribbean. so any past for present cruisers that do not fly please let me know your experiences.. Thanks.

Would you be able to rent a car and drive it there?

I live in Illinois and have always wanted to drive to cruises, but currently how my husband's days off work we don't get enough time or would have to do a shorter cruise to drive.

I grew up with my parents driving to family vacations. I think with a family of 4 it was cheaper for them, now it just feels nostalgic to me to drive. I would happily drive. I love being in the car, being on the interstate, seeing the sights and places. I can recall stopping in georgia and buying peaches and eating them in the car. Oh we had just as much fun driving as we did on vacation sometimes.

That being said, I would not want to do it on a bus. I mean I get the idea of someone else doing the driving, but I've done long bus trips before, but that was on a charter bus for a trip that we rented the bus for, not a public bus. That sounds so unpleasant. Even the chartered bus was unpleasant.

Thank you so very much for your opinions and posts on both sides of the spectrum. To clarify without going overboard. I have a condition that causes vertigo and everything that goes with it. Yes it would be cheaper to fly and yes faster......but the anxiety, airsickness and vertigo are NOT worth it......I would have to be "HEAVILY" medicated, and a mess due to that for 24-36 hours. (Not an option) *** I know the next question...........And you want to take a cruise/ with vertigo?........Yes I do and my Dr recommends that I "try it" I will either be fine with the aid of motion sickness meds........or I will spend a week in bed.......either way..........I can find out if I can cruise or cross it off my my BL..Train is the option I prefer and I do not work so that gives me the time needed to leave early and see things as I go and I have met "wonderful" people on the train........heck I might meet someone that is going on my cruise too?

I have also read some posts where cruisers had vertigo and did fine.....per dr altitude at sea level is the best. I am a little intimidated by going solo....but I have no one that wants to cruise .......fear of water and titanic really?....when its your turn doesn't matter where you are......I am a pretty tough cookie so I am just going to go for it....still trying to find the best line for my age group and the right activities.........hoping for April 2016 I really wanted to go on NCL Gateway out of Miami but seems Amtrak goes all the way to DC and then back down........ that seems stupid to me.....so I am looking at New Orleans and Galveston......for NCL Dawn......I love meeting people so this is the right place for me to be....

Thank you so very much for your opinions and posts on both sides of the spectrum. To clarify without going overboard. I have a condition that causes vertigo and everything that goes with it. Yes it would be cheaper to fly and yes faster......but the anxiety, airsickness and vertigo are NOT worth it......I would have to be "HEAVILY" medicated, and a mess due to that for 24-36 hours. (Not an option) *** I know the next question...........And you want to take a cruise/ with vertigo?........Yes I do and my Dr recommends that I "try it" I will either be fine with the aid of motion sickness meds........or I will spend a week in bed.......either way..........I can find out if I can cruise or cross it off my my BL..Train is the option I prefer and I do not work so that gives me the time needed to leave early and see things as I go and I have met "wonderful" people on the train........heck I might meet someone that is going on my cruise too?

I have also read some posts where cruisers had vertigo and did fine.....per dr altitude at sea level is the best. I am a little intimidated by going solo....but I have no one that wants to cruise .......fear of water and titanic really?....when its your turn doesn't matter where you are......I am a pretty tough cookie so I am just going to go for it....still trying to find the best line for my age group and the right activities.........hoping for April 2016 I really wanted to go on NCL Gateway out of Miami but seems Amtrak goes all the way to DC and then back down........ that seems stupid to me.....so I am looking at New Orleans and Galveston......for NCL Dawn......I love meeting people so this is the right place for me to be....

Grandma, there will still be people who tell you that you need to just conquer your fear and overcome. Only you know the extent of your vertigo and associated conditions. Do what is within your power to do. Try the cruise. Like the doctor said, you will be fine or you will be in bed. Either way, you will know.

Just ignore the people who tell you that you have to do as they say and not as they do. I think we all have conditions and fears that we have tried to conquer and decided that, for whatever reason, we will just accept what is and move on with life.

Some people on these boards are quite helpful. Some are quite miserable. Those that are miserable and know-it-all, I just ignore.

Also make sure you have a mid-ship cabin not too high up-less rocking/rolling.

I have had really good luck with the scopolamine patch for seasickness. It might also help with vertigo since part of its mechanism of action seems to be related to stopping input from the otoliths from reaching the brain. Might be worth asking your doctor what he thinks about the patch as a possible seasickness med for you. Some people have unpleasant side effects from it and don't like it, others, like me, have no side effects and love it.

I hope you can find a cruise and a way to the port that will work for you!

My husband and I prefer not to fly but still do when necessary. For our repo crusie coming up - Boston through Caribbean to New Orleans, we are driving to Boston (just a couple hours) and then taking Amtrak from New Orleans to Chicago and then Chicago to Boston over three days with 2 sleeper cars. We have always wanted to take a long train trip so we will be able to cross that off our bucket list.

Now as to you, OP, here is my one concern for someone who can't fly, as opposed to someone afraid of flying. What happens if there is an emergency with the ship. With the Carnival "poop cruise" didn't people have to fly back from Mexico? If your ship breaks down somewhere, would they find a way to get you back without a plane?

I don't know. It is something to ask the cruise line before booking.

Fitzk23:

Now as to you, OP, here is my one concern for someone who can't fly, as opposed to someone afraid of flying. What happens if there is an emergency with the ship. With the Carnival "poop cruise" didn't people have to fly back from Mexico? If your ship breaks down somewhere, would they find a way to get you back without a plane?

I am not looking for trouble before it comes......but "if" that were to happen.......I suppose I would have to fly........but ti would not be pretty. But thanks !

I hope you find the cruise you want and have a wonderful vertigo-free time.

Just being out to sea is the most peaceful feeling. Have a wonderful time with wherever you choose to go. :)

My husband and I prefer not to fly but still do when necessary. For our repo crusie coming up - Boston through Caribbean to New Orleans, we are driving to Boston (just a couple hours) and then taking Amtrak from New Orleans to Chicago and then Chicago to Boston over three days with 2 sleeper cars. We have always wanted to take a long train trip so we will be able to cross that off our bucket list.

I don't know. It is something to ask the cruise line before booking.

There are roads between Mexico and the US. It's just a matter of whether there's buses or cars you can rent.

You can manage to get to the cruise ports--look upon it as PART of your grand adventure!

I took a train trip across Canada which lasted many days (including stops at wonderful hotels), and enjoyed it very much.

Driving through all the states between Colorado and Florida would be super, if you research and plan it out. Once, we drove from Michigan to Orlando and took four days to do it, but we saw wonderful places.

On our last cruise (Panama Canal Miami to LA), we met a couple who did not fly--they were from Belgium! They had taken a transatlantic cruise to Fort Lauderdale, joined our cruise two days later, and were then going to explore America by car before returning to Europe on another transatlantic. It can be done! (Given enough time and money.)

Enjoy and don't let anyone's opinions get in your way. Go, granny!

There are roads between Mexico and the US. It's just a matter of whether there's buses or cars you can rent.

Of course. I was using this episode as an example. What if the ship broke down in Grand Cayman instead. Just something to consider.

I believe Amtrak has a route out to San Francisco from Denver. If you are not a "lay out by the pool all day" type of person, then the coastal cruises are excellent. You could even do a back to back (some are not allowed) and hit a coastal and then Alaska or Mexico. Amtrak also runs up and down the coast from California to Canada. We are in Washington and do these cruises all the time. We are used to shorts when the weather gets into the 60's and we are dying in the 80's so these cooler weather cruises are great for us. We also enjoy the interactive on-board activites. People on cruisees are so friendly and finding other singles or a group to adopt you would make it alot of fun.

Sorry "grandma" but it is not that you "cannot" fly. Rather, it is that you "choose" not to fly. I don't mean this as a negative comment- just reality. Talk to your physician about connecting with someone who can help you deal with your phobia.

My mom was over 80 before she first stepped on a plane in NY to visit me in California. Don't limit yourself. Get some help.

That is a totally presumptuous response. You do not know anything about her.

DON