Does anyone else NOT fly?

Hi I am a single widow 59 years young and just now thinking of my first cruise.(solo)......but I do not and cannot fly.....this poses a real problem to get to the port of embarkation Anyone else have this dilemma?. I live in beautiful Colorado so Miami seems to be a daunting bus ride....lol.......I want to go to Caribbean. so any past for present cruisers that do not fly please let me know your experiences.. Thanks.

I have a friend who cannot fly for medical reasons, and another who will not fly for psychological reasons. They cope by using cars, buses, and trains. Do your research and find the best way for you to get to a port.

You may find (after a Caribbean cruise) that you love cruising so much that you expand your cruising to a Panama canal cruise - Miami to Los Angeles for example, or to a New England / Canada cruise that is a round trip from New York, or an Alaska cruise that is round trip Seattle. There are many options for you. You have one limitation on your travel parameters, but so many adventures you can still enjoy. Just figure it out and do it. :)

Hi

I can't help with your question, sorry! But I just wanted to say that I hope you do make it out to the Caribbean and have a wonderful cruise (in whatever mode of transport you choose). Safe and happy travels to you!

I wish I didn't have to fly! I hate going through airports, but there are parts of the world I'd have to miss, so I do it begrudgingly. If I had the time, I would drive and/or take the train whenever I could. I love road trips, but I usually don't have the extra time to add days on to a vacation for the road trip there and back.

I have been on Amtrac from Denver -Glenwood when flights not running to Aspen. They are either a gorgeous ride or a filthy train filled with unruly kids. Buses can be worse. I would just fly. They used to have classes for people afraid of flying. But have not heard of them in years. What is your fear? CHANGE is GOOD!

Edited by zoncom

I love the actual FLYING (or did, until they jammed everyone together like sardines!)...it's the airport bull**** that I hate....

Unless you have tons of time, flying is the best way to get to faraway places quickly!

I accept the OP's premise that she CANNOT fly. She did not ask for rationalizations about the advantages of flying. Now, living in Colorado does mean there is significant travel time to a port, any port. Reality is - to get to a cruise she would have to travel on the ground. I believe she is an intelligent, reasonable adult who can figure out how to get to a cruise on the ground. The question then becomes: does the inconvenience of traveling to a port outweigh the benefits of cruising? Only she can answer that question.

Edited by Shorex

Hi I am a single widow 59 years young and just now thinking of my first cruise.(solo)......but I do not and cannot fly.....this poses a real problem to get to the port of embarkation Anyone else have this dilemma?. I live in beautiful Colorado so Miami seems to be a daunting bus ride....lol.......I want to go to Caribbean. so any past for present cruisers that do not fly please let me know your experiences.. Thanks.

Welcome to Cruise Critic! :)

You might want to discuss your situation with a good Travel Agent who could give you information on options to get to your port without flying.

LuLu

I am not saying that this would apply to OP, but I have known several people who, for years, "could not fly", who ultimately weighed the cost (in money, in time and in lost opportunities) of not being able to fly - and decided to invest the time and money in programs which enabled them to fly.

My FIL (also living in Colorado - Western Slope) does NOT fly. He takes the train to either coast. He's done the Amazon, Panama Canal, Alaska, Europe (that was 5 cruises in a row that went from FLL to NYC) and is still considering Australia/NZ. Just be sure to allow extra time. It isn't just planes that don't always arrive on schedule. ;)

Might a departure from Houston or Galveston work for you? It seems it might be a less daunting trip.

My husband hates to fly and we try to avoid it if possible, but he will fly if he really wants to go somewhere. I don't know your circumstances and why you cannot fly. However, if it is within the realm of possibility that you could make an exception, your options would open up greatly.

Hi Grandma needs a cruise,

Welcome to your first post on cruise critic :)

I'm sure you've figured out by now -- the answers to your question take one of two paths: 1) answers that accept that, for whatever reason, flying to a port is out of the question and 2) recommendations about overcoming your reluctance (refusal, inability, pick a word any word) to fly.

It would help all of us who genuinely want to encourage you in your quest to cruise, if you would clarify: 1) flying is out of the question and no one needs to inquire as to the reason or 2) you are open to suggestions on overcoming your reluctance (refusal, etc, etc, ) to fly.

I love that you are willing to take on the adventure of cruising as a solo. That is so cool! There are many solo cruisers we have met on different lines - they all just relish the experience and have a great time.

Carpe diem. Go for it.

I don't care much for flying. Once you've been in a plane that made a crash landing.......things change.

New Orleans is closer to you than Florida. Two hard days drive would get you there. Amtrak could do it but you must allow time.

Grandma, is it possible to find a friend who will be willing to take turns driving down to Galveston to take your Caribbean cruise with you and share traveling expenses with you. I know you probably all ready thought of this but don't give up. Try a senior center, your church, neighborhood etc. to see if anyone out there would be willing to do this with you.

And, welcome to Cruise Critic.

Not sure where you are in Colorado, but Denver to Galveston would be about 16 hours drive, Denver to Miami about 29 hours drive. If the Caribbean is where you want to go it would be best to look at Amtrak.

Have you considered cruising out of California and doing the Mexican Riviera instead of the Caribbean?

As someone who doesn't like flying, I can certainly understand wanting to find alternatives. My last three cruises were the Hawaiian RTs, which are great for me as we're within easy driving distance of the Port of LA. The time before that, we took Amtrak from Southern California to Seattle for an Alaskan RT out of Seattle.

We do have some cruises on our "dream list" which would mean flying.

I tolerate flying because it gets me where I want to go faster than other methods, but that is not the only way to get from point A to point B!

Amtrak is a viable option. Make sure to give yourself enough time and bring along lots of books for the evenings when it's too dark to see any scenery. I like the Amtrak trains I've been on -- they're comfortable and you can get up and move around. Also, bring some sandwiches or something - the food offerings on the train can be limited.

Greyhound is a viable option. I haven't used this option in years and years, but they run and are reliable.

You could also add a road trip on to your cruise. I, personally, love road trips enough that I bought a travel trailer.

So, pick your cruise. Pick your port. Add in enough extra time for the land travel. And go! You can totally do this.

** Oh, and I'm a twice divorced 45 year old woman. I get around fine and go where I want to and can afford to. You really can handle this.

Edited by Bizmark'sMom
added a thought

Sorry "grandma" but it is not that you "cannot" fly. Rather, it is that you "choose" not to fly. I don't mean this as a negative comment- just reality. Talk to your physician about connecting with someone who can help you deal with your phobia.

My mom was over 80 before she first stepped on a plane in NY to visit me in California. Don't limit yourself. Get some help.