shorts in the dining room for a 3 year old boy?

This is the first I have ever heard about the camo thing. Maybe because I don't wear it.

But why is there a rule for some islands that you can't wear camo?

Was told by hotel front desk in Barbados that it is not allowed because they have reports of people being robbed after being stopped by camo wearing "bandits." I believe several islands have this rule. This was during a land-based vacation not a cruise but have always remembered.

Its pretty stupid if you ask me as hunting camo looks NOTHING like military camo but it is what it is. Their island, their rules.

You may find it "stupid," but some of these islands still have issues of instability. The anti-government rebels wear cammo. Many of the drug cartels wear cammo. So they outlaw cammo. Why do you find it "stupid?"

I have a question....at what age is it expected that a "child" should dress according to the dress code. I have read this very same question asked about a 3 year old, a "tween" and a "teen". For myself, my kids were a jacket and tie when they were 3 years old at appropriate times. They still wear a jacket and tie, and they are no longer "children".

This question always amuses me. It's not what RCCL will do. Instead, its a parenting question. That is why, you will always get so many answers. Yes, I believe you can never be too young to follow. At age 5, kids wear a uniform to school. I know, not all kids, but many. Go to any of the islands you visit, and every school age kid you see is wearing a uniform. My school district has a hybrid uniform policy.

That's the reason, I find this topic amusing. Toddlers, tween, teens and sometimes even adults, feel that they are special in some way and that they should be excused.

So, if you want to use these moments as a teaching moment, than go ahead. It's what you teach that is important, such as go as you please, or dress appropriately. It's you choice, and either way, it won't bother me.

again with the parenting judgment. For your information, every private school in my area has uniform shorts for use during the warmer months. You don't get to define "appropriate."

I have a question....at what age is it expected that a "child" should dress according to the dress code. I have read this very same question asked about a 3 year old, a "tween" and a "teen". For myself, my kids were a jacket and tie when they were 3 years old at appropriate times. They still wear a jacket and tie, and they are no longer "children".

This question always amuses me. It's not what RCCL will do. Instead, its a parenting question. That is why, you will always get so many answers. Yes, I believe you can never be too young to follow. At age 5, kids wear a uniform to school. I know, not all kids, but many. Go to any of the islands you visit, and every school age kid you see is wearing a uniform. My school district has a hybrid uniform policy.

That's the reason, I find this topic amusing. Toddlers, tween, teens and sometimes even adults, feel that they are special in some way and that they should be excused.

So, if you want to use these moments as a teaching moment, than go ahead. It's what you teach that is important, such as go as you please, or dress appropriately. It's you choice, and either way, it won't bother me.

It still isn't very practical to dress them up in nice clothes and then have them go off to Adventure Ocean (half way through our meal) where they have paint, chalk and other fun things to ruin those wonderful thrift clothes! There are many many teaching moments and this is one that I feel he could miss and probably gain something more out of not being restricted by rules that better fit adults. Again I'm not really looking for approval, Just wanted to know if we would be turned away. I think I have my answer.

It still isn't very practical to dress them up in nice clothes and then have them go off to Adventure Ocean (half way through our meal) where they have paint, chalk and other fun things to ruin those wonderful thrift clothes! There are many many teaching moments and this is one that I feel he could miss and probably gain something more out of not being restricted by rules that better fit adults. Again I'm not really looking for approval, Just wanted to know if we would be turned away. I think I have my answer.

You are absolutely right - you can easily choose any number of other times, places, and occasions to "teach a lesson" if you feel your child needs one. Vacations are supposed to be relaxing!

Kids and adults have a right to enjoy what they are wearing while they eat without feeling judged by those who deem themselves perfect!

Sorry, I take back what I said earlier, claiming that people are not "passing judgment" here. You seem to have done a classic job of it.

again with the parenting judgment. For your information, every private school in my area has uniform shorts for use during the warmer months. You don't get to define "appropriate."

I doubt I'll ever get through to you, but here's yet another example of where you're accusing others of being judgmental, when it's just not there. This person said, and I quote:

This is not parenting "judgment." It's acknowledgement that different people have different ways of parenting.

I don't understand why anyone cares what a 3 year old is wearing.

I would rather spend my time in the MDR enjoying my meal and the company of the people at my table.

100% agree

They won't on the ship. The mindset on CC is way different than on the ships. Some of these people think they run the line, speak for the line, and make the rules. They think its all about them. Royal owns and runs their ships/mdr's as they see fit and has always been that way.

They won't on the ship. The mindset on CC is way different than on the ships.

Really? The mindset on CC, where most people have said that no one will care what your 3-year-old is wearing, is way different than on the ships? Hmmm

I don't understand why anyone cares what a 3 year old is wearing.

I would rather spend my time in the MDR enjoying my meal and the company of the people at my table.

What does it matter what anyone wears no matter their age, race or gender. Everyone needs to MTOB!

What does it matter what anyone wears no matter their age, race or gender. Everyone needs to MTOB!

The problem with this is that people come here to ask questions. Should we just mind our own business, and not answer any questions? Or are you suggesting that only those whose opinions match yours should answer, and others should MTOB? ;)

The "problem" is that cruise critic seems to attract more than its share of pot-stirrers, who relish the chance to jump in any thread and make controversy where there doesn't need to be any in the first place.

Edited by clawmachine

Wearing camouflage-style clothing on many Caribbean islands (including Grenada, Barbados, Jamaica, and St. Kitts) is against the law because people have tried to impersonate local police or military officials to harass or rob people. If you’re seen wearing camouflage clothing while in port, the real police on these islands may ask you to change your clothes or — worse — charge you a fine or even arrest you."

Also, Aruba, Antigua, St. Lucia and others. Easier just not to wear it. Also not allowed on your luggage if you are traveling there by plane, and even children have been refused entry (to the country) for wearing camo.

The "problem" is that cruise critic seems to attract more than its share of pot-stirrers, who relish the chance to jump in any thread and make controversy where there doesn't need to be any in the first place.

Perhaps, but we have to tolerate you, anyway.

if you are old enough to dress yourself, you are old enough to abide by the dress code suggestion. Pants can be had for under a buck at any Thrift store.

Always cracks me up when the anti-kid poster has this type of advice - but in this case - I think your advice is Great because that means that shorts are okay for a 3 year old! Most of them cannot Infact dress themselves!!!

OP - If the future king of England could wear shorts to his sisters christening you can probably get away with shorts on your 3 year old..that being said, my kids - who live in freezing cold Boston that had 4 feet of snow while we cruised - didn't like to wear shorts during dinner because it was cold - especially after a day out in the sun..

I would probably buy a pair of pants if I were you ...

Always cracks me up when the anti-kid poster has this type of advice - but in this case - I think your advice is Great because that means that shorts are okay for a 3 year old! Most of them cannot Infact dress themselves!!!

I don't really care how someone dresses a 3-year-old for dinner, but I've seen several responses like yours. Is it really that common for a 3-year-old to be unable to dress themselves? Maybe my kid was exceptional, but I don't think he had any trouble with that by age 3. I mean, we still picked out his clothes at that age, but he was able to put them on.

Thanks for the laugh - everyone who says a 3yo can make clothing decisions and dress them self. Ok, maybe they can physically handle putting the clothes on if laid out and enough time is given and a little help, but op just asked if it would be allowed. She didn't ask for anyone's judgement or opinion.

And as many have said here, you are good to go with shorts!! Have a great cruise.

Go to any of the islands you visit, and every school age kid you see is wearing a uniform.

This is a safeguard for the children in those countries. If kidnappers can't tell the rich kids from the poor ones, it's harder to take a kid for ransom.

Poor argument.

She didn't ask for anyone's judgement or opinion.

And as many have said here, you are good to go with shorts!! Have a great cruise.

If the OP didn´t ask for judgement or opinion, why are you giving an opinion instead of Facts?

Fact is the cruise line asks for no Shorts in the MDR and this is not age restricted.

If they are good to go with Shorts for the three yo or not is an opinion ;)