shorts in the dining room for a 3 year old boy?

We're going on a 4 day to the Bahamas. I know the 4 days are more casual than the 7 days but I'm wondering if they would allow shorts for small children. He will be spending part of the time eating with us and then probably going up to adventure ocean before dinner is over. Most of his shorts outfits are nicer looking than his pants (blue jeans and camouflage), and we hate to buy new clothes if we don't have to because he would likely outgrow them before he wore them again.

One other note, don't have him wear camouflage in the islands. That is a major issue, especially on adults.

True, I got absolutely lambasted for posting a pic on the RC Facebook page of my camo backpack Ive ALWAYS taken on cruises :rolleyes: I had no plans whatsoever of taking it off the ship but of course, someone had to put their two cents in. Royal Caribbean has never said a word to me about it.

Its pretty stupid if you ask me as hunting camo looks NOTHING like military camo but it is what it is. Their island, their rules.

We're going on a 4 day to the Bahamas. I know the 4 days are more casual than the 7 days but I'm wondering if they would allow shorts for small children. He will be spending part of the time eating with us and then probably going up to adventure ocean before dinner is over. Most of his shorts outfits are nicer looking than his pants (blue jeans and camouflage), and we hate to buy new clothes if we don't have to because he would likely outgrow them before he wore them again.

They don't want shorts in the dining room at dinner, but feel free to ignore their request, because they will likely not enforce it.

I was on Voyager about a year ago and seen a family turned back because a child (about 4-5) had a camo outfit on. Parents were wear normal clothing. Please ensure that you follow their rules no camo on the island.

Edited by CaptData

He should be fine. Seen many young men/boys in the mdr in shorts and nice shirt but since your cruise has not happened no one can answer for sure.

Not all islands in the Caribbean do not allow camouflage. The islands with this restriction will be posted in the daily the evening before. Barbados and St. Lucia are two of the islands that prohibits the wear of camouflage. If you forget the ship security will stop you and won't let you disembark.

Edited by davekathy

if you are old enough to dress yourself, you are old enough to abide by the dress code suggestion. Pants can be had for under a buck at any Thrift store.

From what I have read on these boards about Royal Caribbean and their passengers, someone will probably throw your baby overboard....., but I'm just a Carnival guy going on an RCI cruise. Kinda like a Walmart shopper going to Target.

Edited by tlbutler33

Not all islands in the Caribbean do not allow camouflage. The islands with this restriction will be posted in the daily the evening before. Barbados is one of the islands that prohibits the wear of camouflage. If you forget the ship security will stop you and won't let you disembark.

hmm wonder if the Navy working uniform is barred heheh. Hubby will be pulling in to Barbados in a few days( although the ship is white it is NOT a cruise ship)

good thing Blueberries cannot be worn off the ship/past the end of the gangway on the pier.

From what I have read on these boards about Royal Caribbean and their passengers, someone will probably throw your baby overboard....., but I'm just a Carnival guy going on an RCI cruise. Kinda like a Walmart shopper going to Target.

LOL! Welcome aboard! Thats funny! Not ALL Royal Caribbean guests are like that! Most of us are NOT in others business and dont care what others wear as long as they wear something ;) Some of us shop at Wal Mart too ;)

Besides, its a 3 year old we are talking about :rolleyes::cool:

My son wore smart chino type shorts at that age with a polo shirt. In my view as long as your child is cleaned up from the beach and obviously in smarter than daytime clothes, no one will turn a head. Better to have a child who is relaxed and well behaved at dinner than have a huge paddy in the cabin or even the dining room because they are in hot and unfamiliar clothes.

My son who is just 7 now, loves dressing for dinner and picking his outfits but all comes with time and understanding of the environment.

if you are old enough to dress yourself, you are old enough to abide by the dress code suggestion. Pants can be had for under a buck at any Thrift store.

Any other parenting advice? I'll sharpen my pencil.

You'll probably have some people who are appalled at seeing a 3 year old "breaking the rules" by wearing shorts, but who cares. No one will kick you out for it.

The people that will be "appalled" by your 3-year old can spend their time more constructively by confronting the adults in the "wife beater and ball cap" uniform that they can't seem to dine without. If in the unlikely event that his dress is questioned by staff, just point out a few of the adult dress code violations that you will see all over the MDR, where the staff seems to have little interest in enforcement.

Your child will be cute as can be if nicely dressed with shorts. In the very-formal Victorian times, small children were considered dressed up when in shorts.

Edited by PSCruiser
added phrase

No one is going to worry about a 3-year led wearing shorts! Shorts are allowed for all guests for breakfast and lunch in the MDR. At dinner the suggested dress code is long pants. Many adults and older children wear shorts and risk being asked to change, but I can't imagine that for a 3-year old!

WOW! Really???? I'm sure this 3 year old is not going into his own drawer on the cruise and picking out his own clothes and then dressing himself! So what is the cutoff age for kids wearing shorts to dinner....10 months? 1?....2? :rolleyes:

My son wore smart chino type shorts at that age with a polo shirt. In my view as long as your child is cleaned up from the beach and obviously in smarter than daytime clothes, no one will turn a head. Better to have a child who is relaxed and well behaved at dinner than have a huge paddy in the cabin or even the dining room because they are in hot and unfamiliar clothes.

My son who is just 7 now, loves dressing for dinner and picking his outfits but all cromes with time and understanding of the environment.

That was my thinking too. Most of his shorts are cute matching top/shorts type outfits I can't see it really offending anyone so we'll go with that.

Thanks for everyone's advise!