HAL no longer requires formal dress

Jade13

Thinking positive now, perhaps what HAL needs to do to get people to dress up for the "formal" or "gala" night is to offer an incentive.

For example, if a gentleman enters wearing a tux, he is given a coupon for two free drinks of his choice. If he wears a jacket and tie, he gets one free drink. Collar shirt and slacks gets a free soft drink. Anything else gets a glass of tap water! Just kidding of course, but an interesting thought!

In the past, Gala (read Formal) Nights were not just about guests' dress code. The dining room got dressier with white covers on the chairs. The menu was more upscale with lobster, steak, classic dishes. Photographers set up backdrops for taking portraits. A more festive atmosphere.

The dining room staff wore Formal Night uniforms not seen on other nights. Music was often different--musicians/bands stationed in different places than usual, and/or those bands played different music (big band, classical, jazz).

The salon and spa were packed the day of formal nights; you had to make a reservation first day or pre-boarding. Everyone was getting updos, blowouts, mani-pedi, facials, relaxing massages or body treatments.

I'm talking within the past few years, not decades ago... And YES, we can still do spa days, dress up , etc. But the excitement factor of a special evening is missing.

Edited by sofietucker

Thinking positive now, perhaps what HAL needs to do to get people to dress up for the "formal" or "gala" night is to offer an incentive.

For example, if a gentleman enters wearing a tux, he is given a coupon for two free drinks of his choice. If he wears a jacket and tie, he gets one free drink. Collar shirt and slacks gets a free soft drink. Anything else gets a glass of tap water! Just kidding of course, but an interesting thought!

And for the Ladies?

Love it! Tell corporate.

I like this!!!

Too dangerous for me to answer this. Perhaps one of the ladies on this board can come up with something.

Chicken! :)

Thinking back several pages, I think a bottle of champagne to the daring young lady in a sweater and long underwear. :D

And for the Ladies?

Notice how almost the entirety of this thread has to do with what the gentleman wears? That's because ladies already tend to be on board. Just like dancing, they accommodate the guy by dancing backwards, so to speak--and often in stilettos.

(Me: "Oh, foo! If he dresses down a notch, then so must I. Two notches? Why, he won't even be wearing those new cufflinks I gave him!")

In short, we don't need no steenkin' drink coupon.

Notice how almost the entirety of this thread has to do with what the gentleman wears? That's because ladies already tend to be on board. Just like dancing, they accommodate the guy by dancing backwards, so to speak--and often in stilettos.

(Me: "Oh, foo! If he dresses down a notch, then so must I. Two notches? Why, he won't even be wearing those new cufflinks I gave him!")

And we're glad you are on board. It would be lonely without you! :)

Aren't you violating the board policy by having the cruise company name for which you work in your signature? Just asking ...

E-Bay Cruiser, I am not the person you asked, but suggest your read the Cruise Critic Guidelines before questioning a posters signature: I bolded the part which specifically deals with this:

Quote Travel agents (and their associates, employees or designated representative) are encouraged to participate in the discussions on the Cruise Board and establish themselves as experts on a particular topic by responding to members' inquiries with useful answers. You are welcome to sign your name and note your professional business as long as you comply with the following:

- You may not use your business name as your Cruise Critic user name.

-You may sign your posts with your first name only.

- You may include your company name in your signature.

- You may not list your phone number, business location (city or state), web site address, contact info or e-mail address.

- You may not include your location and/or website address in your Cruise Critic profile.

- Responding to member's inquiries on the boards with an ad for your services is not allowed.

- Only items of a general nature may be discussed on the forums by any travel agent.

Unquote

Edited by serendipity1499

I will drink to that

Offering incentives to get people to participate in formal/gala nights is an admission that those occasions are no longer popular and it's time to just forget the whole idea.

E-Bay Cruiser, I am not the person you asked, but suggest your read the Cruise Critic Guidelines before questioning a posters signature: I bolded the part which specifically deals with this:

Quote Travel agents (and their associates, employees or designated representative) are encouraged to participate in the discussions on the Cruise Board and establish themselves as experts on a particular topic by responding to members' inquiries with useful answers. You are welcome to sign your name and note your professional business as long as you comply with the following:

- You may not use your business name as your Cruise Critic user name.

-You may sign your posts with your first name only.

- You may include your company name in your signature.

- You may not list your phone number, business location (city or state), web site address, contact info or e-mail address.

- You may not include your location and/or website address in your Cruise Critic profile.

- Responding to member's inquiries on the boards with an ad for your services is not allowed.

- Only items of a general nature may be discussed on the forums by any travel agent.

Unquote

Thanks for enlightening me. I was just asking not accusing. I know there are a lot of times I would be interested in someone naming a travel agency in a thread but knew it is not permitted. :)

The dining room staff wore Formal Night uniforms not seen on other nights. Music was often different--musicians/bands stationed in different places than usual, and/or those bands played different music (big band, classical, jazz).

The salon and spa were packed the day of formal nights; you had to make a reservation first day or pre-boarding. Everyone was getting updos, blowouts, mani-pedi, facials, relaxing massages or body treatments.

I'm talking within the past few years, not decades ago... And YES, we can still do spa days, dress up , etc. But the excitement factor of a special evening is missing.

Exactly. HAL doesn't do anything that makes the evening "gala."

No we don't, but I wouldn't turn one down. :D

Edited by 3rdGenCunarder

One of the things that has always irked me a little about formal nights is how western-centric they tend to be. The concept of what is formal clothing is so limited-what about clothes considered dressy or formal in other cultures? Mr. S looks very dashing in a guayabera.

We sympathize with all sides here, dress up can be fun, but on vacation we tend to want to relax. We are willing to be confined to quarters (room service!) on formal nights however.

All of our HAL cruises up to now have been full ship charter blues cruises where "anything goes", with theme nights and "pajama night" on the last night. Some of the lingerie is more elaborate than any ball gown I have seen.

I stumbled upon this thread and started reading the first few pages. Then, upon seeing the same old, same old. I skipped and skimmed - and jumped to the end.

This topic reminds me (and I am old enough to remember) of when my workplace decided to not require strict guidelines for dress code, as the "real world" outside was changing. Also, the new hires, relative to those of us who had been around awhile, were getting younger and younger.

No need to rehash the point/counter point opinions of the tread or workplace.

What I take from the stated rule from HAL's website is the strategic nature of what they are doing.

HAL has always impressed me as a well run operational company. They are difficult to beat on how they operate, maintain, service, etc., at a mid level cost structure. Nice to see they are being strategic, as well.

I am not sitting in the decision meeting, but the strategy and adjustment is clear. It is based on demographics. Those who are complaining the loudest may have 5, 10, maybe 20 years left to cruise. HAL has to adjust to the the changing preferences of the customers they wish to attract as times will move on. Those remaining customers may not want "formal", but prefer "gala". The old Trans Atlantic steamship days are over.

We have recently taken a few Princess cruises. A fairly well run cruise line, but I prefer HAL. Their demographics skew slightly younger. They have more activities, sometimes silly. When the older Princess (and other mid lines) clientele will prefer the quieter, more formal HAL like experience, will they want to wear tuxes, suits, or higher end dresses? Nope. Most of them are not CCers with these strong opinions.

Sure, there will be those who will not meet the intent of the rules.

My worst example is not someone who dressed down, but who "dressed up". While we overnighted in Hong Kong he bought a garish red and green monkey suit that depicted the worst Chinese stereotype you would find in an old old movie that did not know any better. He even wore a hat and queue (ponytail). Strictly met the dress code and the HAL staff could only look at him in horror. It took a few passengers to talk to him and point out how insulting he looked. He actually thought he looked cool. He never did understand. He at least took off his hat and queue.

Whatever the dress code, sh*t will happen.

If "only a few people who have made the effort to dress up", that should say something about the popularity of formal nights and the future direction of dress codes.
Amongst HAL's new market, perhaps. If this is what it takes for HAL to fill the new big ships, then that's HAL's choice.

"I am not sitting in the decision meeting, but the strategy and adjustment is clear. It is based on demographics. Those who are complaining the loudest may have 5, 10, maybe 20 years left to cruise. HAL has to adjust to the the changing preferences of the customers they wish to attract as times will move on. Those remaining customers may not want "formal", but prefer "gala". The old Trans Atlantic steamship days are over." Chewbaca

I have to agree with this statement. Even though I am approaching, or probably considered, the "over the hill gang", I can understand a company's desire to stay current with the times and please the upcoming generations, which are their future. We only hope they don't totally anger the older customer who perhaps doesn't agree, who may decide to follow their vacation dream in another manner. HAL is probably following a path it feels necessary in order to keep their company profitable in the future. Whatever they decide, I will try to adapt to the new ways, as I have adapted to so many changes that have occurred in my life, some good and some bad.

It will all work out somehow.......JMO.

Edited by Irish Eyes Are Sailing

"I am not sitting in the decision meeting, but the strategy and adjustment is clear. It is based on demographics. Those who are complaining the loudest may have 5, 10, maybe 20 years left to cruise. HAL has to adjust to the the changing preferences of the customers they wish to attract as times will move on. Those remaining customers may not want "formal", but prefer "gala". The old Trans Atlantic steamship days are over." Chewbaca

I have to agree with this statement. Even though I am approaching, or probably considered, the "over the hill gang", I can understand a company's desire to stay current with the times and please the upcoming generations, which are their future. We only hope they don't totally anger the older customer who perhaps doesn't agree, who may decide to follow their vacation dream in another manner. HAL is probably following a path it feels necessary in order to keep their company profitable in the future. Whatever they decide, I will try to adapt to the new ways, as I have adapted to so many changes that have occurred in my life, some good and some bad.

It will all work out somehow.......JMO.

The friends with whom we cruise range in age from 40 to 57. Every one of us dresses for the occasion. I don't think age has anything to do with it. We've all been cruising together for about 12 years and we dressed for dinner since the beginning. It's not going to ruin my evening if everyone around me is in khakis and polo shirts. I'll just pretend I'm a well dressed customer at Best Buy. :D

[snip, but agree re: guayabera]

All of our HAL cruises up to now have been full ship charter blues cruises where "anything goes", with theme nights and "pajama night" on the last night. Some of the lingerie is more elaborate than any ball gown I have seen.

Blues cruise is on the bucket list!, Just waiting for the right time/right lineup (that would have been Jan 2016), not booked solid a year in advance... (so not Jan 2016 which we learned of in Feb 2015)

(I know, I know, there's a forum--sorry; back to yr regular program...)

Blues cruise is on the bucket list!, Just waiting for the right time/right lineup (that would have been Jan 2016), not booked solid a year in advance... (so not Jan 2016 which we learned of in Feb 2015)

(I know, I know, there's a forum--sorry; back to yr regular program...)

We did the Blues Cruise on the Eurodam a few years ago and it was a blast! The most excitement I've ever seen on a HAL ship with singing & dancing going on 'til the wee hours. The ship had to set up extra bars (at the aft pool, in the showroom, etc.) to accommodate everyone. This is something I recommend to everyone, at least once.

Maybe they should do away with Open Dining? That would be a step in the right direction. And do away with specialty restaurants too and put that quality of food back in the MDR? That would be a major step in the right direction.

Seems like many people would be happy with assigned early and late seating for breakfast and lunch as used to occur back in the day as well.

Men - Suits or Tux or DON'T SHOW UP.

Women - Gowns. No more bling bling flip flops, black cocktail dresses, or sparkly stretchy clothes.

Goes both ways.

HAL has stopped making any pretense or effort to make formal night anything different from any other night. When someone says they dress for the occasion, I ask...WHAT occasion?

Maybe they should do away with Open Dining? That would be a step in the right direction. And do away with specialty restaurants too and put that quality of food back in the MDR? That would be a major step in the right direction.

Seems like many people would be happy with assigned early and late seating for breakfast and lunch as used to occur back in the day as well.

Men - Suits or Tux or DON'T SHOW UP.

Women - Gowns. No more bling bling flip flops, black cocktail dresses, or sparkly stretchy clothes.

Goes both ways.

HAL has stopped making any pretense or effort to make formal night anything different from any other night. When someone says they dress for the occasion, I ask...WHAT occasion?

I'm curious how not having open dining or specialty restaurants would change the food quality. I think the food quality would likely be better if they stopped selling cruises for $299.

I'm curious how not having open dining or specialty restaurants would change the food quality. I think the food quality would likely be better if they stopped selling cruises for $299.

Fixed schedule dining will lead to better ambiance and a less rushed staff.

No specialty dining means they can put that quality back into the MDR.

Where are these imaginary $299 cruises?

HAL stopped giving people reasons to dress for formal night by making it "just another night".

As far as fixed seating for breakfast and lunch; that is because people selectively pick the nostalgic things they want or do no want. I don't think anyone wants fixed breakfast and lunch seatings back.

Women are, by far, much more guilty of violating any sense of formal dress code than men are. Black spandex covered in shiny sequins is NOT formal in any way, shape, or form. The adherence of men to dress policies has been better than women for years.

Well, now HAL says the men can option for more comfort. DH will be delighted.

Maybe if HAL provided more special occasion events and great food they wouldn't need to sell $299 cruises (which I can't find anywhere, anyways).

$299 imaginary cruises?

HAL has been selling last minute Alaska cruises on Zaandam, Statendam, and Oosterdam @ $299-$399(before taxes) for the past two seasons. We are a drive away from Vancouver and keep an eye out for good prices.