Celebrity Reflection 11 Night Eastern Mediterranean No Istanbul

cruiserhal

Having never done a Mediterranean itinerary myself, I am curious as to why some don't like Athens as a port? I would have figured that, being such a historical city, it would be full of beauty, architecture, art, and history. Maybe that's just wishful dreamer thinking on my part?

Nothing wrong with Athens as a port, but Istanbul is one of the most beautiful & magical cities in the world, the only place I can compare it to is Rome... Paris comes in a distant third for me, & I really like Paris.

I'm shocked they are canceling, & am wondering if there is info we aren't privy to... we were in Athens with Celebrity in 2011 during the height of the riots, & our itineraries weren't affected, except we did have some days switched around. Felt fine taking public transport, did get to photo lots of broken glass/grafitti, overturned cars as the like, but never felt personally endangered.

We were in Rome during riots also, & again, while it made for interesting photos, we felt safe.

Sorry for those who are missing out on this amazing city.

I believe in using common sense when it comes to safely, & I would not feel unsafe doing a land trip to Istanbul right now. Could that change if circumstance change? Sure, but I think this was not the greatest decision on Celebrity's part.

I only hope things settle down there because I have the Holy Land cruise booked again for next year and would be very disappointed to put it mildly. Istanbul is my favorite city next to Paris and I planned to spend at least a week there before the cruise. I have been to Greece at least 5 times but not recently so wouldnt mind being diverted there but so disappointed to miss Istanbul. I guess there are things you have to accept but sorry for all the cruisers who will miss Istanbul as it is beautiful and unique..

Just another reason you should NOT put off traveling to places you want to see as there may not be other opportunities. So thankful I visited Egypt when I did.

I think Celebrity is just as if not more worried about the ship being attacked. Ships dock right in the heart of the city in Istanbul, so I assume Celebrity does not want to put its ships and passengers in harms way.

I'm in the 9/21 Reflection cruise with overnight in Istanbul, and I'm pretty sure our itinerary will be affected as well (no communication yet). I still believe that Istanbul while not 100% safe, still acceptable for tourists. But I agree that the ship itself is a very 'appealing' target for any terrorist: big, crowded, beautiful (terrorists HATE beautiful things), and it symbolizes all what they reject: luxury, party, good life, foreign influence, you name it.

I would expect the Turkish government taking even more actions, and show enough guarantees and confidence on security to stop the fleeing cruises... Every cancelled stop are at least 2,000 tourists + crew, that will not leave money in the city.

Edited by Pipo

I hope this is readable. :)

Arrive Depart

Mon Rome (Civitavecchia), Italy 5:00 PM

Tue At Sea

Wed Santorini, Greece 2:00 PM 10:00 PM Tender

Thu Mykonos, Greece 7:00 AM 6:00 PM Tender

Fri Athens (Piraeus), Greece 6:00 AM Docked

Sat Athens (Piraeus), Greece 6:00 PM

Sun Ephesus (Kusadasi), Turkey 8:00 AM 5:00 PM Docked

Mon Rhodes, Greece 6:30 AM 4:30 PM Docked

Tue Chania (Souda), Crete, Greece 8:00 AM 5:00 PM Docked

Wed At Sea

Thu Naples / Capri, Italy 7:00 AM 6:30 PM Docked

Fri Rome (Civitavecchia), Italy 5:00 AM Docked

Thanks Hal we are on the same cruise as you!

We haven't had anything from Celebrity yet, no change on reservation either. Was about to get my Turkish Lira today - wont get as much now.......

Absolutely gutted main reason we booked this cruise and I know before anybody tells me again that ports can change but this is a pretty significant alteration!

Been to Rhodes and Crete many times so not really any sort of consolation:(

I hope this is readable. :)

Arrive Depart

Mon Rome (Civitavecchia), Italy 5:00 PM

Tue At Sea

Wed Santorini, Greece 2:00 PM 10:00 PM Tender

Thu Mykonos, Greece 7:00 AM 6:00 PM Tender

Fri Athens (Piraeus), Greece 6:00 AM Docked

Sat Athens (Piraeus), Greece 6:00 PM

Sun Ephesus (Kusadasi), Turkey 8:00 AM 5:00 PM Docked

Mon Rhodes, Greece 6:30 AM 4:30 PM Docked

Tue Chania (Souda), Crete, Greece 8:00 AM 5:00 PM Docked

Wed At Sea

Thu Naples / Capri, Italy 7:00 AM 6:30 PM Docked

Fri Rome (Civitavecchia), Italy 5:00 AM Docked

Thank you CruiseHal for the info.We are on the same cruise 8/31. Still have not heard anything from our Travel Agent yet! So disappointed. Turkey was the reason we chose this cruise (+ 1000euros more for this cruise). I agree more time in Santorini and Naples would have been a better alternative to Athens.(although never been to Athens). Rant over! That is life.

Edited by naqqina

Having never done a Mediterranean itinerary myself, I am curious as to why some don't like Athens as a port? I would have figured that, being such a historical city, it would be full of beauty, architecture, art, and history. Maybe that's just wishful dreamer thinking on my part?

Istanbul is unique and wonderful. Athens is too, but can't make up for the difference. We stayed in both cities last year - there are still lots of things to see in Athens, :o

The Equinox was berthed in Istanbul last Monday and is already well away from Istanbul. But did cancel its two overnight stops there.

I wonder if this is due to the Equinox docking there today and them assessing things/sorting out things in Port? The Atlantis chartered cruise was due to let everyone off today (Pretty sure it was a 10 day cruise) and let new cruisers on.

I got an email from my friend working in Istanbul last week and his assessment is most the Westerners he knows there feel pretty safe but I understand the concerns. Hes coming home in a week as his contract has ended.

Turkey is stunning but there are plenty of great places around Athens and an overnight is always quite a nice change on a cruise.

Velvet, friends on the current Equinox cruise embarked on Monday. I understand Tuesday became a sea day and today (Wednesday) is calling at Kusadasi.

Small irony -- our recent B2B leaving Istanbul 18th July was originally scheduled to leave from Athens. Don't know why the itinerary change was made (many months ago) but I would have been very disappointed indeed if this had been reverted!

There are some amazing things to see in the centre of Athens but Istanbul is far more interesting and beautiful (IMHO). I think some of the reason people are disappointed to stay overnight in Athens is also due to the location of the port. Piraeus is a large industrial port with nothing of interest around it and is some distance away from the centre of Athens.

We recently overnighted on a cruise in Istanbul and that was the main reason we chose that cruise and I would have been very disappointed if we hadn't called there so can understand why people feel this way.

We've also been to Athens many times and usually now stay onboard as it's a trek into the city centre - but with an overnight I would take the opportunity to go further afield and catch a ferry to one of the islands - as cruisemom42 suggested earlier.

no one can disagree that Athens is surrounded in fantastic history however if you were booking a cruise today based on an overnight in Athens would you do it? I would't, now having been to Istanbul that's a different story.

Feel sorry for the folks who have based their trip around Istanbul.

Athens is a great place to overnight for two reasons.

Firstly you can look at some longer excursions that take in places like Delphi, Marathon, Corrinth, Cape Sounion..... Delphi is to my mind one of the most amazing places on the planet and I am a world wide traveller. You will be able to book private tours that include stopping somewhere spectacular for an evening meal.

Having visited Greece by land as well as cruising I know you miss the best of Athens by not being there at night. We have such happy memories of wandering through Plaka, finding a restaurant with views overlooking the Acropolis.....slowly and leisurely enjoying the food, drinking the Metaxa....

Crete and Rhodes also have much to offer that is not listed on Celebrities general tours...hire a car for the day and really explore. Knossos is amazing and walking through the valley of the butterflies in Rhodes or climbing up to the top in Lindos is great for the more energetic.

My next cruises are 'bucket lists' like the OP I would be upset if my itinerary was changed but we do have to accept it is outside our control and really make the most of our alternatives.

Finally if you are uninspired by your new destinations speak to the officers, they will be in home territory and should be able to give lots of restaurant recommendations!

Hope you have a great cruise, despite the itinerary changes.

Still nothing from Celebrity we fly out on Friday and no disrespect to the OP but I want to here it from them. Looking at the itinerary 6 days have now changed which I think is way over the top. We have booked restaurants, car hire and excursions with very little time to change. We are likely to be out of pocket as a consequence and as per another poster we paid a premium for this itinerary anyway. Not a happy bunny.............

Still nothing from Celebrity we fly out on Friday and no disrespect to the OP but I want to here it from them. Looking at the itinerary 6 days have now changed which I think is way over the top. We have booked restaurants, car hire and excursions with very little time to change. We are likely to be out of pocket as a consequence and as per another poster we paid a premium for this itinerary anyway. Not a happy bunny.............

We too paid a premium price but that was the risk we took over 12 months. We to would like to hear something from Celebrity and as our surname begins with B I would thought we would be pretty high on the list. If we weren't members on here we would be non the wiser. Who will contact us do you think Celebrity or our TA, if it's the latter they've had their cut so it's highly unlikely we will hear anything.

We too paid a premium price but that was the risk we took over 12 months. We to would like to hear something from Celebrity and as our surname begins with B I would thought we would be pretty high on the list. If we weren't members on here we would be non the wiser. Who will contact us do you think Celebrity or our TA, if it's the latter they've had their cut so it's highly unlikely we will hear anything.

Hi Phil,

we met on Infinity last year. Did you have a UK TA? If so, there may be a slight delay informing you. Also, have you checked if changes are showing up online on your booked X cruises?

Wishing you a great cruise whatever the itinerary

Gill

Was Istanbul really canceled because of (the lack of) safety issues? Or might there be some other reason? In cases where Istanbul is 'just' part of the itinerary (most often with an overnight), the port might be easy to change (for the cruise line, not for the passengers) even in the last minute; but both EQ and CS have a lot of itineraries in Sep and Oct where Istanbul is the departure port. Those are probably not so easy to change on such short notice. Not only do passengers have air arrangements to Istanbul, but RCCL will also have a lot of contracts with local suppliers, fuel, perhaps some maintenance scheduled, etc. Interesting if the regular cruise calls of Reflection are canceled out of safety concerns whereas the turnaround calls for EQ and CS will remain unaltered. I would think that the threat of any attack of any kind will be bigger when the docks are filled with workers, trucks driving all the way to the ship, etc.

Velvet, friends on the current Equinox cruise embarked on Monday. I understand Tuesday became a sea day and today (Wednesday) is calling at Kusadasi.

Small irony -- our recent B2B leaving Istanbul 18th July was originally scheduled to leave from Athens. Don't know why the itinerary change was made (many months ago) but I would have been very disappointed indeed if this had been reverted!

Ah I think I am a day behind as its summer holidays here :)....kept thinking it was the 24th yesterday. I have no idea about the current Equinox itinerary but I do know the Gay chartered cruise ended there...well thats what the crew said anyway.

There are some amazing things to see in the centre of Athens but Istanbul is far more interesting and beautiful (IMHO). I think some of the reason people are disappointed to stay overnight in Athens is also due to the location of the port. Piraeus is a large industrial port with nothing of interest around it and is some distance away from the centre of Athens.

True!!! This is the problem!

I would contact your travel agent or Celebrity directly. As of now, the only communications I received was a copy of a PDF file from Celebrity announcing the change for our trip. I would attach the PDF but I don't know how. Sorry.

I'm concerned that no one else has said they received the same notice since it is so close to sailing. Like you, we fly out tomorrow and arrive in Rome Friday.

No Istanbul - Celebrity just sent a notice that we are not going to Istanbul. They are adding an overnight in Athens, Rhodes, Greece and Chania (Souda), Crete, Greece.

Ugh. That is why we booked this trip.

Almost wish we could cancel the trip.

I hope this does not impact other cruises later.

Such is life. :(

Hal

Here is the new route.

Mon Rome (Civitavecchia), Italy

Tue At Sea

Wed Santorini, Greece

Thu Mykonos, Greece

Fri Athens (Piraeus), Greece

Sat Athens (Piraeus), Greece

Sun Ephesus (Kusadasi), Turkey

Mon Rhodes, Greece

Tue Chania (Souda), Crete, Greece

Wed At Sea

Thu Naples / Capri, Italy

Fri Rome (Civitavecchia), Italy

Thank you for sharing this information. We are on the 9/21 sailing. The overnight in Istanbul was one of the main reasons for booking the cruise. I have been watching news and happenings in Istanbul since the attack at the Dolmabahce Palace last Wednesday and it has been quiet. However, that attack happened in a tourist packed location not far from the cruise ship terminal which surely has Celebrity very concerned. We hope they do not change our itinerary, but that is up to Celebrity to determine based on the information they have. If they do, we will make the best of the new stops.

The other logistical item I noticed in a later post is that it looks like the port time in Kusadasi has changed from 11am-8pm to 8am-5pm. Anyone that has a tour booked may want to reach out to the tour company.

Edited by davrap222

I'm concerned that no one else has said they received the same notice since it is so close to sailing.

Not to increase any concerns, but I just noticed that this particular itinerary (8/31/2015) can still be booked (Insides, Verandas and Concierge are still available) and the Celebrity website still lists Istanbul as a port of call (including the overnight) :confused: On previous occassions of satefy issues in the region there was also a message on the homepage of the website saying that some itineraries had been changed and that Celebrity would keep monitoring the region, etc, etc. But there is nothing this time.

So they're still going to Israel where a ship was attacked with a rocket but they're cancelling Istanbul? Makes perfect sense :eek:

OP, I'd be devastated

Moreover, almost all the incidents in Istanbul have nothing to do with ISIS or other jihadist groups; they're carried out by people with political disagreements with the Turkish government. Those groups do not have the military resources of ISIS etc etc.

IMHO they should have kept Istanbul on the itinerary, perhaps losing the overnight stay, for the many people for whom it was a major reason for booking. Those of a nervous disposition could stay on board.

Stuart

Not to increase any concerns, but I just noticed that this particular itinerary (8/31/2015) can still be booked (Insides, Verandas and Concierge are still available) and the Celebrity website still lists Istanbul as a port of call (including the overnight) :confused: On previous occassions of satefy issues in the region there was also a message on the homepage of the website saying that some itineraries had been changed and that Celebrity would keep monitoring the region, etc, etc. But there is nothing this time.

All good points. There should be something stating the changes on their main page as well as changing the itinerary on this sailing if you can still book this sailing. Good luck to everyone on this cruise. I hope it all works out for the best. I would not be happy to not get notification directly from Celebrity about the changes 6 days before sailing. If you did online check in, they know how to reach you.

Hi - we booked direct with Celebrity on board so there is no middle man for us!

Realistically in your case it is likely to be your travel agent in the UK. When this happened to us a few years ago our travel agent rang us to confirm a port change.