What Makes Princess Special?

SteelMagnolia9

The crew, service, itineraries, ships, fares, food and entertainment have been consistently good on all of our cruises. We are comfortable with the demographics of the cruisers and the understated elegance of the ships. :D ....

Agree. Princess ships just fit our lifestyle. We cruise on others, but always come home to Princess. 17 cruises so far!

1. The overall atmosphere is relaxed, but not overly casual. We don't see binge drinking, belly flop contests, hairy back contests, and stuff like that. The guests seem to be civil and genteel without crossing over to dull and boring.

2. The option for Anytime Dining. Our days are never the same, and I like that we can dine at 6:00 if we need to, or 8:00 if we want to.

3. The wine policy. We have a decent collection at home and like to have special bottles on special occasions. For us, cruises are "special occasions". I like that we can bring our bottles with us and not be treated like drunks or smugglers.

(And now comes the controversial part as these apply only to the older ships):

4. We love booking a cabin that has a balcony that is big enough for our family to all be together outside. We typically book Mini-Suites which afford ample balcony space for all of us.

5. We strongly prefer ships that present themselves as ships. Where the whole point is to connect with the sea instead of escape from it. So we like ships with Promenades, and places at the bow where we can walk and let the sea wind smack us in the face. And not have to weave our way through an indoor shopping mall or "central park" just to get around.

But mostly #1. We don't want to cruise with adults pretending that they are on Spring Break, or with adults who are doing their best Thurston Howell III impression, or on a ship designed as an amusement park full of kids waiting in line so that they can scream their way through the water slide. That works for lots of people. But it is not what we are after. Princess does the best job of providing that to us.

Well said! That is exactly how we feel. We can't imagine sailing on a floating shopping mall! lol I hope Princess will keep or build some mid size ships for the fleet.

Our first cruise was on the Sea Princess when she was only 4 days old. What fun and we were hooked. We have since tried Hal (don't like the rest home feeling) and Celebrity (Meh) We are loyal to Princess now! Thank you for your post.

Agree with all the previous positives. Have only cruised princess 5 done and going 6th October 30 Melb to South Pacific. Hooked from the first cruise. Every cruise has been unique, never had a bad staff member or felt any pressure to be or do anything we didn't want too (hmm we do sidestep the photographers though - but that said, we haven't ever felt they thought we were party poopers either).?

Love the whole cruising experience (in fact taking 17 others with us next cruise!

Agree with all the previous positives. Have only cruised princess 5 done and going 6th October 30 Melb to South Pacific. Hooked from the first cruise. Every cruise has been unique, never had a bad staff member or felt any pressure to be or do anything we didn't want too (hmm we do sidestep the photographers though - but that said, we haven't ever felt they thought we were party poopers either).?

Love the whole cruising experience (in fact taking 17 others with us next cruise!

Can you take me :-)

We are platinum with Carnival and Ruby with Princess. I enjoy Princess significantly more. Ships are stunning, while still feel comfortable, crew well trained and engaged.

A couple of questions, Are there costs associated with the International area in the atrium? How late is a pool and/or a hot tub open? What is avaliable on the Regal to purchase for the week I thermo suites etc? TIA

Are there costs associated with the International area in the atrium?

Food items at the IC are free but coffee drinks cost extra. The coffee card ($33.35) gives you 15 specialty coffee drinks & unlimited brewed coffee during the cruise where it was purchased. On the Regal (and Royal) you can use a card punch at Gelato's instead of paying $3.50 for an ice cream sundae, waffle cone, scoops of ice cream & on most sea day afternoons freshly made crepes.

Alfredo's Pizzeria offers an expanded menu (appetizers, salads, pastas, pizzas & desserts) & is free.

This links shows menus although some items in the MDR menu have changed but it still gives an idea of what is available:

http://www.beyondships2.com/royal-princess-menus.html

Edited by Astro Flyer

Many of the comments fit what we feel. My first six cruises were on Carnival ships and then a co-worker offered a "friends and family" discount on a Princess cruise so we tried it out. Have stuck with Princess ever since.

We like having a fridge in our cabin, no matter the category (especially as we just get insides or OVs). We like the self-service laundries (I don't want to send out my clothing to be washed in regular detergent and dried at high temps).

I like the lack of obnoxious pool games and excessive public announcements (I can do without hearing about my need to go to the umpteenth last chance bingo match -- I have no interest in them or art auctions).

I like the lack of Vegasy flashing lights.

I like traditional dining so I hope Princess continues to offer this choice. And I like that I don't have to go to an additional-charge restaurant just to have a great meal.

While Princess is our favorite cruise line, we still cruise on others from time to time.

On Princess the [i]"It's Where We Belong" [/i]feeling is hard to explain. :)

LuLu

Us too. When we board we always say "We're home".

Theo

We agree with all above , have sailed many lines but Princess suits us best .

One big plus for us is being able to take guests and grandkids on board for lunch the day we sail . Our Grandson still talks about his experience .

Just so no one is misled that you can bring anyone on board with no problem, this is in reference to the Bon Voyage Experience (BVE) where for $39/person those not taking the cruise can come on board for several hours on embarkation day.

Princess is currently all I know, since my previous experience as a passenger was on two Carnival cruises in the early 90s. The thing I remember most was the surly bar staff, having come from working on RCCL's Song of Norway for two years, where the bar staff were friendly and engaging (ditto Princess)

Our first Princess cruise to Alaska in August 2011 has led to 6 more since with the next 3 weeks away. We do want to try other lines and have Celebrity Silhouette booked for next January. They offered an aft suite with free drink package, gratuities paid and $300 OBC and an itinerary that included Puerto Rico for a price we couldn't pass on. The ship is stunning and everything will be new to us.

The list of things we like about Princes are based mainly on experiences on the Grand Class ships. We are not drawn to the Royal Class.

*Our room is ready when we board-no waiting in the buffet with hand luggage

*Several options for lunch including MDR so we can avoid the buffet scrum.

*We don't have to pre-pay excursions

* Ultimate Balcony Dinner available (and worth the $100)

* Ultimate Ship Tour available (limited availability)

* Sanctuary available

*Multiple fresh water pools, fore mid and aft

* MUTS

*Afternoon Tea

* Pub Lunch

*Clean, elegant, easy on the eye Public Rooms-looks like you are on a ship

*Multiple deck levels above the Lido where you can find quiet spots-spreads the crowd out

*Muster drill indoors, efficiently conducted

*Lack of announcements

* Lack of rowdy drunks and pools of vomit to slide in

*Decks that allow you to walk entirely around the ship from bow to stern

*Teak furniture on the Promenade decks and Suite balconies

*Loyalty perks

*Live bands (but diminishing?)

* Upper decks that lack a water park that would attract families with young kids

*Entertainments in the Piazza-never a dull moment

*Consistently good food, vessel to vessel

* Hotel staff that appear happy to be working and serving you

* A Theater with great sight lines and a tray to place your drinks on

* They gave us a free upgrade to a Suite on our second cruise (and unleashed a monster )

* Tiered aft decks where you can enjoy a buffet breakfast and adult pool with a view

* 24 Hour International Cafe

* Always something to do or see or hear thanks to the CD staff-fruit or ice carving, acrobats and jugglers, interesting lectures, trivia, karaoke etc

* A relaxing piano bar

* Organized Embarkation/Disembarkation and Tendering

* The opportunity to relax quietly on sea days (away from MUTS)

*Passengers who show some respect and consideration to others

We appreciate all of these each time we step on board a Grand Class vessel.

As life is short we are curious to sail some new itineraries and experience how some other lines operate. Celebrity, Oceania and Azamara are on the radar.

It will take some very good experiences on those lines for Princess to seem like a second choice-but we shall see.

My 2 cents

Norris

What makes Princess special these days ? Well to be frank these days. NOTHING. The head office bean counters have ruined a once wonderful cruise line with so many annoying additional charges. Want a decent cup of coffee that doesnt taste like road tar, well thats extra. And the ships photographers are an absolute pest, totally out of control shoving their cameras in your face all day and night obstructing access to and from the ships.

What makes Princess special these days ? Well to be frank these days. NOTHING. The head office bean counters have ruined a once wonderful cruise line with so many annoying additional charges. Want a decent cup of coffee that doesnt taste like road tar, well thats extra. And the ships photographers are an absolute pest, totally out of control shoving their cameras in your face all day and night obstructing access to and from the ships.

Wow! I hope you find a cruise line that won't charge anything extra, with a fantastic crew. Of course, if you do, you'll either have to pay a lot more if you ever find such a gem. Please let us know if you do find it... enquiring minds want to know!

I would rather pay extra for coffee, which is minimal and be able to pay less for the cruise and still have a wonderful experience, which Princess does provide.

Ah, the wet blanket. Bound to happen. :D

Ah, the wet blanket. Bound to happen. :D

Yes, not everyone will have the same opinions which is understandable to me.

However opinions full of hyperbole such as coffee that tastes like road tar or photographers sticking cameras in my face makes it impossible for me to consider them as credible. If anything there are less attempts to take photos now than when they'd do things such as being at the MDR's entrance dressed in theme clothing. A simple "no thank you" is all it takes & I've never had any road tar tasting coffee although some of the Navy's coffee was like motor oil. :p

Edited by Astro Flyer

Oh, looks like I have to rethink my list of what I like about Princess.

I agree with the photographers part-on my last cruise on the Ruby I was in the shower at 5 a.m when the curtain suddenly opened and there was a ship's photographer with a Cruise Staff member in a dolphin costume- "mind if we just get a picture?". It was a good shot so I bought it.

I could have said "no thanks" and continued with my sudsing.

Norris