Hot Tub Maintainance

hoffyhof

I'm sorry, but I have to agree - don't go in them. We have a hot tube at home, so I know what is necessary to maintain one in good condition. I have never seen anyone check a hot tube on a ship to ensure all is OK and they are kept lukewarm, so just a yucky place IMHO>

This is NOT a body shaming post, more of a hygiene shaming, but I just thought of something that I saw back in 2009 on the Explorer. As we all know, the showers in the cabins are tubular. Very small for large people.

I am a very early riser. I had gone up to the lido deck to get a cup of coffee and take a couple of pictures of the sun rise.

Out of the corner of my eye, I noticed a VERY large couple approaching one of the hot tubs. They had towels and other things in tow. (could not see what they were). The hot tubs were not running at that time and I thought it was strange that they were in them at this hour...not running....and at dawn.

After a couple of minutes of observing, I realized that she was shampooing her hair. OMG......they were taking baths in the hot tub. Ewwwwwww.

As I have already stated, you could not pay me to get into one of those things.

Even if they cleaned them every 2 minutes, there is always someone in there, doing disgusting things . I wouldn't step foot in one of those things if you paid me.

Agreed. I don't use the hot tubs on cruise ships and I don't go in the "cabana" type chairs in Oasis solarium. Sooo yuk. :p

OP, I know that they are drained and cleaned once every 24 hours. A walk around the pool deck at night will tell you that, as they do leave one open at a time while they clean the others and put the rope netting over them.

This is NOT a body shaming post, more of a hygiene shaming, but I just thought of something that I saw back in 2009 on the Explorer. As we all know, the showers in the cabins are tubular. Very small for large people.

I am a very early riser. I had gone up to the lido deck to get a cup of coffee and take a couple of pictures of the sun rise.

Out of the corner of my eye, I noticed a VERY large couple approaching one of the hot tubs. They had towels and other things in tow. (could not see what they were). The hot tubs were not running at that time and I thought it was strange that they were in them at this hour...not running....and at dawn.

After a couple of minutes of observing, I realized that she was shampooing her hair. OMG......they were taking baths in the hot tub. Ewwwwwww.

As I have already stated, you could not pay me to get into one of those things.

Peoples filth and dead skin is going to come off in a hot tub regardless of using shampoo or not [emoji3]

I'm sorry, but I have to agree - don't go in them. We have a hot tube at home, so I know what is necessary to maintain one in good condition. I have never seen anyone check a hot tube on a ship to ensure all is OK and they are kept lukewarm, so just a yucky place IMHO>

Have to laugh at my post - I got new contacts today and they were terrible! I really have a hot tub at home not a tube. And I threw the test lenses in the trash and now have my readers on. LOL

Without getting into the should our shouldn't use debate, I will add that they do regularly drain, clean and refill the hot tubs with fresh water. I have also seen the deck supervisors doing spot checks on the water/chemical mixture on several occasions.

The best answer I can give OP is to find the deck supervisor. He or she should know the cleaning schedule for the tubs.

Edited by DarthGrady

I will also add that DW and I are fans of the hot tubs and have been in the hot tubs on each RCI ship we've sailed on. The worst skin condition either of us have picked up are pruney fingers from staying in too long. :p No MRSA, staph, or any other communicable diseases to speak of, however.

Sorry. Could not resist. Even if they cleaned them every 2 minutes, there is always someone in there, doing disgusting things . I wouldn't step foot in one of those things if you paid me.

AGREED! Years ago, we saw a Love & Marriage show onboard, and when the CD asked where was the most outrageous place they made whoopee, the answer was the Solarium hot tub :eek::eek::eek:

I was on the infamous Celebrity Horizon Legionnaires Disease cruise to Bermuda (out of NYC) which was attributed to the hot tubs. They were subsequently totally removed. Luckily, I never used them. Unfortunately many got ill and I believe one passenger died as a direct result. It isn't enough for the water to be replaced every day and tub cleaned. The bacteria breeding pipes need to be checked and cleaned as well. Nope, no "human soup" (thanks MM, or not lol) for me.

We've been on 35+ sailings across multiples lines, mostly RCCL and my family and I use the hot tubs various times of day and happy to report we have never gotten ill or had any type of skin infection, etc. I have often seen staff check the water.

We typically use the solarium hot tubs where children are NOT allowed. I do not like using the hot tub children are in. But have sat in them when watching the scheduled pool activities that Royal puts on.

The hot tubs & pools are cleaned early every morning. I swim 1st thing everyday while cruising and have had to wait for them to finish cleaning to do laps.

We do this also .

First to enter the hot tubs or forget it .

Rather disgusting to think about using them later in the day :-(

Have to laugh at my post - I got new contacts today and they were terrible! I really have a hot tub at home not a tube. And I threw the test lenses in the trash and now have my readers on. LOL

I am sorry you corrected your post as I became very interested in finding out what a "Hot Tube" was, where you buy one and how well it works???