I Survived the Classic Drink Package!

panmalv

My observations of the Classic Package:

We were on Equinox for the 11/20 sailing.

These will be random, so warning, "flight of thoughts"!

I saw the World Class Bar not nearly as utilized as the Molecular Bar. In fact, there were many times when there was only a couple of people.

I eventually upgrade the package (on day 6 of a 10 day cruise) so I did visit the new bar. I was underwhelmed with the bar tender and the menu. He was very blah and the menu uninspiring that I only drank there once. Perhaps I should have given it another chance, but I don't usually drink that sort of alcohol and didn't want to try to learn to like it.

Speaking of blah bar tenders. One day I went to the Slush Bar (actually two days). The bar tender there had absolutely no personality. I think he thought that flipping bottles and glasses (clumsily I might add) would be enough, that being friendly was optional.

I love chardonnay. I found the St. Francis to be all right and Beringers was OK also. I was able to get St. Francis at most bars and Beringers at Cafe Al Bacio. I don't know which chardonnay they were serving at the Ensamble Lounge, but it was so nasty I couldn't even drink it. And to add insult to injury, the waitress messed up the charging of the drink and I had a $17 plus change on my account at the end of the day. They did straighten it out for me.

I was very underwhelmed with our sommelier in the MDR. The first night of the cruise, before I realized how few chardonnays were on the classic package, I asked him if he had any more full bodied chardonnays. He looked down at me (physically and figurativly) and stated "Madam, there is only 1 chardonnay on your package". To which I replied, OK, "I'll have that one". I think it was St. Francis. I like the Berringer a tad more so I would stop at Al Bacio on the way to the MDR and pick up a glass there.

Once I upgraded, things became easier. And more tasty. Since the MDR sommelier was so condescending, I decided to upgrade with my favorite barista, Zora. What a lovely woman she was. She always remembered my name and went above and beyond what I would expect from such a busy position. She was knowledgeable about wines and offered me a few nice ones (once upgraded). She was so evil (in a good way, of course ;)) she would pack a few chocolate treats to go with my red wine that I do enjoy once in a while.

In conclusion (if you're still with me :p), I like the way I did the package. I saved a bit of $$ by not upgrading the first day. I liked that I could choose who would receive the tip on the upgrade. And once upgraded, it was definitely more interesting.

I just re-read my observations. What I whiner I am! So sorry. There were so many kind and friendly people working on this ship, don't think for one minute that these people I had negative comments about ruined my cruise! I simply didn't return to their bars. And for our MDR sommelier, well, he did get to offer wine on the premium package to me. But for just one dinner. We didn't return for the last few nights so he really didn't have a chance to show what he knew. Who knows, he may have been awesome!

One question. I didn't see the bar tab at the end of the cruise. Did they stop printing that out? Saving ink I imagine!

3 reasons why many folks want to upgrade to premium from classic.

1) Martini Bar

2) Better wine selection.

3) Better beer selection.

Is Molecular Bar the reason why people want to upgrade to the premium package before.

While Molecular Bar being replaced to World Class Bar, that is getting lots of bad reviews lately, Classic package might do this time.

One question. I didn't see the bar tab at the end of the cruise. Did they stop printing that out? Saving ink I imagine!

I noticed that on my last few cruises too! I wonder when that stopped?

I've done it the same way as you, upgrading part way through the cruise (after I've seen and tried the wines they have on the Classic package) and choosing my favorite bartender/wine steward to upgrade with (since I gather they get some kind of incentive or "brownie points" for each upgrade they do). I love chardonnay too and I'm happy with the St. Francis or Wente that are on the Classic package, which is fortunate because I don't recall any better chardonnays on the Premium package without an upcharge.

I don't believe that to be so.

It's my understanding both from reading post here, and reading the various menus, only two or three domestic beers are available, such as Bud and Coors, plus a couple of imports, Corona and Hineken.

All the craft beers tend to be higher than Classic beer cost.

Most all beers are available on classic package....no worries!

It's my understanding both from reading post here, and reading the various menus, only two or three domestic beers are available, such as Bud and Coors, plus a couple of imports, Corona and Hineken.

Agreed!! I'm not a huge beer drinker, but I like Stella or blue moon with lunch on a cruise-- I don't think of these as "craft" beers, but neither are available on the classic plan.

I noticed that on my last few cruises too! I wonder when that stopped?

I've done it the same way as you, upgrading part way through the cruise (after I've seen and tried the wines they have on the Classic package) and choosing my favorite bartender/wine steward to upgrade with (since I gather they get some kind of incentive or "brownie points" for each upgrade they do). I love chardonnay too and I'm happy with the St. Francis or Wente that are on the Classic package, which is fortunate because I don't recall any better chardonnays on the Premium package without an upcharge.

Sadly, on this cruise, Wente was not on the classic package (well, for the cab anyway.)

I really liked the Cellar Master's Chard a couple of years ago. It wasn't quite as good this time but I did frequently drink it. I did pay the upcharge a couple of times. If I had more wine knowledge (or had a not so snooty sommelier), I would have been more adventurous.

• 3 weeks later...

The classic list is available on board. Have never seen one in the cabin. We have always worked with the sommelier and had them provide wines not on the classic list. Some kind words (seem to be in short supply lately especially on this forum) and a $5 bill go a long way to expanding your drink selection just as it would at a local drinking establishment!

Also remember ship have constantly changing availability of wine especially for non USA based cruises. They gladly substitute and many of those substitutions are upgrades.

My undying thanks to the OP....just what I needed! Viewing the menu itself is a great help...I found everything I need.

We have done the upgrade on Relection and wanted to stick to Classic on Solstice...thanks to you, my pics are already made!:D

Agreed!! I'm not a huge beer drinker, but I like Stella or blue moon with lunch on a cruise-- I don't think of these as "craft" beers, but neither are available on the classic plan.

I hate to break it to you fine folks, but if you are sailing from a US port, all the "Imports" you named are now made in either Milwaukee or St. Louis by AB-ImBev or SAB/Miller-Coors.

Edited by K&RCurt

We were two weeks on the Millie out of Singapore last January with the classic pkg. One week out they ran out of the chardonay, so we switched to pinot grigio which they ran out of two days later and pretty hit much hit and miss from there. On our upcoming b2b on the Connie we will upgrade to premium (should have done it when they ran out of the chardonay).

We were two weeks on the Millie out of Singapore last January with the classic pkg. One week out they ran out of the chardonay, so we switched to pinot grigio which they ran out of two days later and pretty hit much hit and miss from there. On our upcoming b2b on the Connie we will upgrade to premium (should have done it when they ran out of the chardonay).

I would have expected them to give me/you the higher grade of wine if they aran out.

I was just on the Equinox and had the classic package as part of the perks for booking and we are not big drinkers but kinda wine snobs the service and wine were more than acceptable, not great but more than just drinkable and a giant step from Oak leaf at Walmart. Actually the wine in the MDR under the drink package was better than the bars or elite lounge. The sommelier service was great.

I have to agree if they run out they should offer a reasonable alternatives and I would not be looking to upgrade my drinks package. That could be a ploy to get people upgrading, not me though I would dig in and not settle for anything less.

Sent from my SM-T330 using Tapatalk

There are two reasons why I have upgraded from Classic to Premium previously:

1. The expanded beer/wine selection which has been mentioned previously, if I only drank cocktails I feel like I would be totally fine on the Classic.

2. Last time I sailed with a package if you wanted a drink that was above and beyond what your package was (expensive wine, scotch, etc.) with the premium you only had to pay the difference between the max per drink cost of the package and the cost of what you ordered. With the Classic, I believe you have to pay the entire cost of the expensive drink. This actually paid for the upgrade itself for me with my after dinner drink.

My observations of the Classic Package:

We were on Equinox for the 11/20 sailing.

I love chardonnay. I found the St. Francis to be all right and Beringers was OK also. I was able to get St. Francis at most bars and Beringers at Cafe Al Bacio. I don't know which chardonnay they were serving at the Ensamble Lounge, but it was so nasty I couldn't even drink it. And to add insult to injury, the waitress messed up the charging of the drink and I had a $17 plus change on my account at the end of the day. They did straighten it out for me.

I was very underwhelmed with our sommelier in the MDR. The first night of the cruise, before I realized how few chardonnays were on the classic package, I asked him if he had any more full bodied chardonnays. He looked down at me (physically and figurativly) and stated "Madam, there is only 1 chardonnay on your package". To which I replied, OK, "I'll have that one". I think it was St. Francis. I like the Berringer a tad more so I would stop at Al Bacio on the way to the MDR and pick up a glass there.

Once I upgraded, things became easier. And more tasty. Since the MDR sommelier was so condescending, I decided to upgrade with my favorite barista, Zora. What a lovely woman she was. She always remembered my name and went above and beyond what I would expect from such a busy position. She was knowledgeable about wines and offered me a few nice ones (once upgraded). She was so evil (in a good way, of course ;)) she would pack a few chocolate treats to go with my red wine that I do enjoy once in a while.

In conclusion (if you're still with me :p), I like the way I did the package. I saved a bit of $$ by not upgrading the first day. I liked that I could choose who would receive the tip on the upgrade. And once upgraded, it was definitely more interesting.

Where was Zora working? We'll be on the Equinox 2-1-16 and will look her up. I too love my Chardonnays and might have to upgrade, but thanks to this thread, I'll wait until I give some of the wines a try first.

Thanks for all the great advice. Thanks to the OP for a great review!

On our last Equinox cruise we had the classic package. This worked well for us, but I wanted to try the molecular bar and some of those martini's. So with 4 days left on the cruise we upgraded. It was worth it for those few days to enjoy other drinks/wines. Next cruise we'll start with the Classic and decide if the upgrade is worth it.

Where was Zora working? We'll be on the Equinox 2-1-16 and will look her up. I too love my Chardonnays and might have to upgrade, but thanks to this thread, I'll wait until I give some of the wines a try first.

Thanks for all the great advice. Thanks to the OP for a great review!

Zora is a barista at Cafe Al Bacio. I miss that woman.

Also, I just want to say that once I found a place to call 'home' I did tip once or twice a day. Just $1, but they were very nice and I always received excellent service. More than worth it. Tell Zora hello from Barbara!

Zora is a barista at Cafe Al Bacio. I miss that woman.

Also, I just want to say that once I found a place to call 'home' I did tip once or twice a day. Just $1, but they were very nice and I always received excellent service. More than worth it. Tell Zora hello from Barbara!

Will Do! I'll try to report back!

We have had the Classic and the Premium and will stay with the Classic package as it suited our needs. Bought the wines we like and paid the $25 surcharge (Royal Caribbean has done away with this) which I personally think is ridiculous. But we drank the wine we liked. Ended up with two bottles we bought in Luminae and it was very good and not priced too bad. Otherwise we like the Classic package and they just added premium coffees:D

Thanks to this thread I decided to go with the Classic package for our Constellation cruise next month. It is good to know that I can upgrade to premium during the cruise if I think it is necessary.

Thanks to the OP for a great thread!

On the cruise I booked today I got one "extra". I choose the classic drink package for 2. Problem is I travel solo so was hoping they would upgrade my 1 package to Premium. But no go. I don't sweat the small stuff and am just excited about whatever extra benefit I get. So I am happy with the classic package. This thread makes me feel like I shouldn't even worry about upgrading to Premium on the ship. And EXCELLENT to know about the frozen drink situation as that is what I like to drink during the day. I will just tell the bartender to "make me a BBC, and make sure it fits in what is covered in the classic package!"

In the evening I only drink wine and there were a couple reds on the list you showed that work for me.

Thanks!