I Survived the Classic Drink Package!

panmalv

There are two reasons why I have upgraded from Classic to Premium previously:

1. The expanded beer/wine selection which has been mentioned previously, if I only drank cocktails I feel like I would be totally fine on the Classic.

2. Last time I sailed with a package if you wanted a drink that was above and beyond what your package was (expensive wine, scotch, etc.) with the premium you only had to pay the difference between the max per drink cost of the package and the cost of what you ordered. With the Classic, I believe you have to pay the entire cost of the expensive drink. This actually paid for the upgrade itself for me with my after dinner drink.

I thought it was just the difference when I got a Hard Cider @ the bar (forgot bar name and it wasn't a Strongbow, that is included in the classic). Decided not to argue the $7.50 + 18% charge.

I did have a great bartender on the Mast bar who'd aready reach for the Strongbow each time I'd approach him. Did need to tip him......:D

On the cruise I booked today I got one "extra". I choose the classic drink package for 2. Problem is I travel solo so was hoping they would upgrade my 1 package to Premium. But no go. I don't sweat the small stuff and am just excited about whatever extra benefit I get. So I am happy with the classic package. This thread makes me feel like I shouldn't even worry about upgrading to Premium on the ship. And EXCELLENT to know about the frozen drink situation as that is what I like to drink during the day. I will just tell the bartender to "make me a BBC, and make sure it fits in what is covered in the classic package!"

In the evening I only drink wine and there were a couple reds on the list you showed that work for me.

Thanks!

I have never cruised solo, but are you saying when you cruise solo you have to pay double the Big price and only get one of the choices? That really does not seem right or logical. I certainly understand the paying double of the base price, but not the inflated price with the Big perk. The solo mark up perhaps should only include the baseless to 75% of the Big price. Of course it is of no value what the rest of us think and I do not mean to turn this into a discussion concerning the solo supplement.

Depending on how much you drink and the length of the cruise you might be better off with the $300 OBC instead of the classic package.

It does sound like you are the perfect candidate for just staying with the classic.

Enjoy your cruise.

Edited by jagoffee

I'm also cruising solo and since my promo is go better and having already gotten the $300 OBC, also asked if my classic beverage can be upgraded to premium since it is for 2 but I am solo....

I was also refused the upgrade. At least they are consistent.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for all the invaluable information. I have forwarded the whole thread to my 5 girlfriends who will be cruising with me on our first "girls only" cruise. We are joining a large group of line dancers so I hope we dance a lot! I will need to work off the extra calories or just hope for rough weather so no one will notice me walking funny.

Wonderful information here so I thought I would ask if anyone has ordered NA beer such as O'Douls on the Classic package.

MY DH has been able to get it during Elite happy hours but it is not listed

on the classic information we have seen.

We both enjoy drinking but he has to limit his intake and NA beers fit

the bill for him.

Anyone have any information on non- alcoholic beer?

Last I saw, NA beers are not included in Classic Pkg, but are in Preminum Pkg.

Wonderful information here so I thought I would ask if anyone has ordered NA beer such as O'Douls on the Classic package.

MY DH has been able to get it during Elite happy hours but it is not listed

on the classic information we have seen.

We both enjoy drinking but he has to limit his intake and NA beers fit

the bill for him.

Anyone have any information on non- alcoholic beer?

I expect to upgrade again. Have a Perrier addiction so that makes it worth it. Will remember to order brand name drinks always - grey goose martini etc. But for me a guilty post dinner treat is a nice rum or whiskey.

In terms of up selling - we were really annoyed that the sommelier in Blu was trying repeatedly to get us to go to wine classes etc where the wines on offer were covered by the package and after telling him we don't drink during the day. Turned us off the restaurant.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 2 weeks later...
On the cruise I booked today I got one "extra". I choose the classic drink package for 2. Problem is I travel solo so was hoping they would upgrade my 1 package to Premium. But no go. I don't sweat the small stuff and am just excited about whatever extra benefit I get. So I am happy with the classic package. This thread makes me feel like I shouldn't even worry about upgrading to Premium on the ship. And EXCELLENT to know about the frozen drink situation as that is what I like to drink during the day. I will just tell the bartender to "make me a BBC, and make sure it fits in what is covered in the classic package!"

In the evening I only drink wine and there were a couple reds on the list you showed that work for me.

Thanks!

I agree it would be nice if they would do something for those of us traveling solo like upgrade to Premium. (And then the gratuities - not that I probably won't tip extra, but it would be nice if they would pay double for solos on those included "for two".)

• 3 weeks later...
Where was Zora working? We'll be on the Equinox 2-1-16 and will look her up. I too love my Chardonnays and might have to upgrade, but thanks to this thread, I'll wait until I give some of the wines a try first.

Thanks for all the great advice. Thanks to the OP for a great review!

Just returned from the Feb. 1 sailing of the Equinox and we too had no problem with the Classic package. I had intended to upgrade (I love my wines) but decided to wait and see if I could find drinkable wines on the package. We had a great sommelier in the dining room that paired our wine every night with what we were having for dinner. I might add that he never tried to upgrade us, which so many people have posted was a problem. The wines served in the bars were different in each, but we always found something we liked. However, the wines in Oceanview Cafe were not my favorites, and after a couple glasses, decided to get my wine in other bars.

Do the included drinks vary ship to ship?

I love Bombay Sapphire which appears included on this list but not on Celebrity's website?

Also I love sparkling mineral water and not sure whats included on the Classic might upgrade just for the San Pellegrino!

Thanks!

What other options do you have to choose from? Is there an OBC option? If so, I would see if that covers the cost of the drink package. If it does, take the OBC and then buy one drink package on board so you can use the OBC to pay for it. I think it is very unfair to solo cruisers to give them only one drink package when you are paying for two people. They should have a more equitable way to work out the perks for their solo passengers.

Do the included drinks vary ship to ship?

I love Bombay Sapphire which appears included on this list but not on Celebrity's website?

Also I love sparkling mineral water and not sure whats included on the Classic might upgrade just for the San Pellegrino!

Bombay Sapphire is on the Premium Package as is all sparkling water. So, for you, the upgrade to the Premium makes sense. The only water on the Classic is plain bottled water--not Evian.

Bombay Sapphire is on the Premium Package as is all sparkling water. So, for you, the upgrade to the Premium makes sense. The only water on the Classic is plain bottled water--not Evian.

Thanks thats me upgrading then ;)

Just got off the eclipse with the classic package...thought we would upgrade the last few nights but had no reason to...got enough wine choices and all the mixed drinks we wanted. No problem getting service...dinner was no issue..waiter got the wine immediately...no one tried to upswell us.

Back Side:

IMG_20150716_092014532_zpsxof3jcct.jpg

if !

I notice a lot of people asking what drinks are on the classic package yet a copy of the package was in the very first post!

A copy is above. And yes there is Bombay Sapphire. As well as a list of beers....

There is the correct drinks list on the celebrity web site and worth checking on that as classic does not show bombay sapphire?

Sent from my GT-I9195 using Tapatalk

Exactly -- what I posted was the drink listing from my July Baltic Cruise on the Eclipse out of Southampton. It is not consistent with the listing on the Celebrity web site, which is here: https://secure.celebritycruises.com/celebrity/media/celebrity/shared_assets/pdf/Classic-Premium-Bev-Pckgs.pdf

So, your experience will vary depending on the cruise -- If you're looking for a specific brand, I'd recommend finding out once you get on board and then decide about upgrading.