I Survived the Classic Drink Package!

panmalv

and virtually all cocktails on the menu were priced above the Classic price limit! .

I read this quote (above) and then I read others that say practically any cocktail can be ordered as long as it is not premium liquor. Which is it?:confused:

I read this quote (above) and then I read others that say practically any cocktail can be ordered as long as it is not premium liquor. Which is it?:confused:

Probably talking about their fancy drinks menu.

Yes--most "regular " cocktails are included under the classic, as long as you don't specify a premium liquor.

What's a regular cocktail? For example a Toblerone I call that a regular cocktail but I guess it wouldn't be included , it has

30mL Frangelico

30mL Kahlua

30mL Baileys

60mL Cream & Honey

Would that even be covered under their premium package?

..and now Iv given myself a craving for one [emoji47]

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Edited by Ru2on

Yes, when I say "menu" I mean the physical cocktail menus that are sometimes found at bars on celebrity. The prices on those menus are virtually all above the Classic Beverage Package price limit. But under the Classic Beverage Package, you can order whatever drink you want, so long as the ingredients are on the list of alcohol and mixers for the Classic Package. Just stay away from the drinks listed on the cocktail menu.

In answer to your later question about the "Toblerone," I've seen people specify an unusual cocktail recipe and the bartender makes the drink as instructed. Generally no problem, so long as the ingredients are the on the Classic Package, and it probably helps to make friends with the bartender. And it sounds delicious, by the way!:D

Technically, yes, that is two drinks. That being said, on my last cruise I was asked if I wanted a double Macallan by the bartender and I told him I was on the premium drink package and couldn't get doubles. He said "okay" and poured a double anyway. :) You'll probably be fine, but it really depends on the bartender.

Thanks for the info. I guess I could order one and my DH could order one, then I can just give mine to him too. Appreciate the help. ;)

Don't fall for that...Very ease to order a shot of pretty much any liquor from a nearby bar under Classic and add it to your Espresso. Just look at the list of spirits on the post above. Bacio also can serve you the shots as well as some well drinks.

On the Eclipse recently, we had the premium coffees in Bacio with various alcohols included under the classic package. No need to upgrade, then.

My question is not about the menu necessarily, but availability. If I want to take two drinks back to the room to have on the balcony before dinner with my guest, will a bartender poor me two drinks if I bring both seacards to show we're drink package users? I've read you can only have one drink at a time, but am curious on the ability to grab a drink for each of us if I were to stop by a bar and get something before taking a drink to them wherever we meet up in the room, dinner line, etc.?

My question is not about the menu necessarily, but availability. If I want to take two drinks back to the room to have on the balcony before dinner with my guest, will a bartender poor me two drinks if I bring both seacards to show we're drink package users? I've read you can only have one drink at a time, but am curious on the ability to grab a drink for each of us if I were to stop by a bar and get something before taking a drink to them wherever we meet up in the room, dinner line, etc.?

Yes, if you present two cards they will serve two drinks. Enjoy

Thank you OP for your fair and balanced review of the Classic Package.

We also have the drinks package as a perk and I'm not sure if I will upgrade or not. The last time we cruised (11/2013) I found the chardonnay selection pretty poor on the Classic so I did upgrade. I'll wait and see in Nov what the chards taste like. Hopefully it will be fine.

Anyone find a good chardonnay on classic?

Benziger seems to be the most widely available chard on most ships. I find it just OK. They might have a St. Francis or a Wente, which were very good IMO. I found these recently on the Connie, but not in the MDR (try Cellar Masters or the Rendez-vous bar.)

Classic cocktails such as Daiquiri,Pina Colada,Margarita's Martini's and Highballs will all fall under the classic package. They will just be made with the liquor that falls under the classic package. For example you can order an Absolute martini but Grey Goose would be a premium martini. The drinks that are offered on the menu seem to be drinks that are not common drinks that people would know to order unless they were on a menu or Celebrity specialty drinks.

Classic cocktails such as Daiquiri,Pina Colada,Margarita's Martini's and Highballs will all fall under the classic package. They will just be made with the liquor that falls under the classic package. For example you can order an Absolute martini but Grey Goose would be a premium martini. The drinks that are offered on the menu seem to be drinks that are not common drinks that people would know to order unless they were on a menu or Celebrity specialty drinks.

Thanks, Mike:)

Can you get piña coladas, Mai Tais, and strawberry daiquiris with the classic package?

Yes, infact I was never refused any cocktail. If it was an expensive one, they just used a slightly smaller class. That didn't happen with your choices though 😌

I think we have decided not to buy a drinks package for our Panama Canal cruise in November (I say, I think, because we keep changing our minds). I have never had a problem getting any cocktail I wanted under the classic package, but I really enjoy sparkling mineral water (something I drink every day). Yet despite it being cheaper than any cocktail, it appears its not available within the classic package :confused: Between that and taking acount of the port days, we think we will just pay-as-we go.

Has anyone heard of a change in the availability of sparkling water?

I think we have decided not to buy a drinks package for our Panama Canal cruise in November (I say, I think, because we keep changing our minds). I have never had a problem getting any cocktail I wanted under the classic package, but I really enjoy sparkling mineral water (something I drink every day). Yet despite it being cheaper than any cocktail, it appears its not available within the classic package :confused: Between that and taking acount of the port days, we think we will just pay-as-we go.

You can get Canada Dry Club soda which is almost the same. That's what I ordered

What's a regular cocktail? For example a Toblerone I call that a regular cocktail but I guess it wouldn't be included , it has

30mL Frangelico

30mL Kahlua

30mL Baileys

60mL Cream & Honey

Would that even be covered under their premium package?

..and now Iv given myself a craving for one [emoji47]

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

OMG:eek: Never mind the price how many calories lol!!

My mouth is watering - why did I have to read this

I LOVE Toblerone - oooooooh This will def have to be tried - but might leave it to the end of the cruise - If I have one early on I will have way too many!!

Before dinner I like dry clean martinis - but after dinner - and several glasses of wine - I go for pudding style creamy drinks which is SO bad - and piles on the LBS -

This is going to be my downfall lol!

Edited by Blondie008

Don't fall for that...Very ease to order a shot of pretty much any liquor from a nearby bar under Classic and add it to your Espresso. Just look at the list of spirits on the post above. Bacio also can serve you the shots as well as some well drinks.

Yet on the Century on the Classic package I got any coffee I wanted including the liqueur ones and the specials of the day (also usually alcoholic). I suppose it depends on the staff.

We also frequented only a few bars (including the cafe) and they knew us reasonably well and were willing to make what ever we wanted.

Thanks to the OP for starting this thread. On both our previous cruises my husband and I both upgraded to premium - seemed a 'no brainer' as many have pointed out.

Recently, the Canadian $ has plummeting against the USD so everything about the trip (pre-cruise transfers, hotel and meals) along with all our shore excursions and souvenirs will be costing us a lot more.

After reading this thread we are re-considering the upgrade to Premium.

Maybe you'd like to get the Premium Non-alcohol package? That includes the sparkling water, plus canned soda, Arizona iced tea, and anything you want at the Cafe al Bacio that doesn't have alcohol in it. It costs about $20/day. Less than half the price of the Classic alcohol package. If you aren't a big drinker, maybe get that one and pay by the drink for your occasional cocktail?

canned soda ~ classic or premium?

Canned soda is covered under five different packages:

- Soda package (covers JUST canned soda), costs roughly $8/day

- Classic NA package (covers soda, plain bottled water, canned Arizona iced tea, hot coffees/teas/hot chocolates at Cafe al Bacio, probably some other things...unclear exactly what), can't remember the cost, maybe $12/day or so?

- Premium NA package (covers really anything you could want that doesn't have alcohol in it, including frozen drinks and the smoothies at the Aqua Spa and Perrier and Vitamin water and whatnot, everything on the al Bacio menu except the alcohol drinks), roughly $20/day?

- Classic alcohol package--covers canned soda and more or less whatever is in the Classic NA package as well as alcoholic beverages as discussed ad inifinitum above.

- Premium alcohol package--covers all the alcohol options and all the non-alcohol options.

On our cruise on Equinox the classic package was included in the price and we found it easily met our needs.

Our recent cruise on Eclipse we had a last minute deal on a gty balcony cabin with no package. Having previously had it included we looked at the cost of paying for the same classic package. Aprox £1000 for the two of us for two weeks. We decided we just don't drink enough to justify that cost and would just pay as we went along.

Despite over inflated bar prices (presumably to make the package seem better value) we never even came close to spending a daily budget to match the package. We purchased a 7 bottle wine package for the evenings and took advantage of the discount vouchers in the cabin for wine purchased in the select restaurants. Our final bill was a fraction of the alcohol package cost and we were never tempted to over indulge.

We have come home healthier and wealthier and would never chose to purchase a package again. It suddenly makes 'deals' that include the drinks package not seem so good. We would wait for a low cabin price every time now.

I wonder just how many passengers are in a detox regime right now having drunk far more than they ever intended just because it was 'free'.