I Survived the Classic Drink Package!

panmalv

We also stayed on the classic package on our Eclipse cruise. I Had intended to upgrade after a few days as the particular wine I liked was on the premium package. But never needed to.

Our sommelier explained to us that we get asked to upgrade on the first day because everyone (including management) get a share of the total upgrades on the first day. This only applies the first day though which is why you don't get asked to upgrade after that.

Thanks OP have been trying to research the packages, A little confused (and not even onboard yet !) are the cocktails on the back of the page included in the classic package? And what about sparkling mineral water ?

We have the classics package and wondering about upgrading are you able to upgrade only one person in the cabins package or if you upgrade does it have to be both occupants ? I like my cocktails and think it's going to be confusing trying to work out if they in the classic or not . Actually thinking of doing what the OP did and downloading some recipes of cocktails to take onboard :) .

Cruising from Sydney to the sth pacific islands

On my next X cruise we have the classic package, $300 on board credit, and included gratuities as well as elite benefits. I will certainly wait until we are on board to decide but I note that the very premium coffee drinks are not listed on the classic menu. It is these special coffee concoctions that make me think about the premium package. I am trying to think of other uses for the OBC. Shore excursions are most likely done ahead using people like Dyea Dave. About the only other use would be one visit to a specialty dining venue. Much to think about.

On my next X cruise we have the classic package, $300 on board credit, and included gratuities as well as elite benefits. I will certainly wait until we are on board to decide but I note that the very premium coffee drinks are not listed on the classic menu. It is these special coffee concoctions that make me think about the premium package. I am trying to think of other uses for the OBC. Shore excursions are most likely done ahead using people like Dyea Dave. About the only other use would be one visit to a specialty dining venue. Much to think about.

We had lattes, Cappuccinos, expresso on the classic pkg. If the OBC is from ur TA, the unused portion goes back on ur CC. We had OBC from Celebrity, used it for the internet pkg and laundry....

Thanks for the posting. I'm still going to use the dreaded words " no brainer" for many. My wife loves cocktails and will always have a couple per day and likes to try new things. We always have a bottle of wine at dinner and prefer a better quality example. I also like to try different beers and the premium package allows us to do this without running up a big bill. So for many like us the classic package simply does not make sence.

Thank you OP for your fair and balanced review of the Classic Package.

We also have the drinks package as a perk and I'm not sure if I will upgrade or not. The last time we cruised (11/2013) I found the chardonnay selection pretty poor on the Classic so I did upgrade. I'll wait and see in Nov what the chards taste like. Hopefully it will be fine.

Anyone find a good chardonnay on classic?

Thanks OP have been trying to research the packages, A little confused (and not even onboard yet !) are the cocktails on the back of the page included in the classic package? And what about sparkling mineral water ?

We have the classics package and wondering about upgrading are you able to upgrade only one person in the cabins package or if you upgrade does it have to be both occupants ? I like my cocktails and think it's going to be confusing trying to work out if they in the classic or not . Actually thinking of doing what the OP did and downloading some recipes of cocktails to take onboard :) .

Cruising from Sydney to the sth pacific islands

You'll find answers to all these questions in the beverage package FAQ in this thread: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2167294

Mineral water is not included in the Classic package. You can upgrade one person at a time.

Thank you for the very helpful post. We are taking our first Celebrity cruise in January, and I am in a quandary as to whether to upgrade or not. I think I'll give it a couple of days.

One question: you mention a martini, but I don't see that on the cocktails list. Is the fact that vermouth and gin/vodka on the list enough to cover that?

Thanks everyone for the great responses to my post. Just to clarify a few things and answer a couple of questions:

The flyer I posted was distributed on my July 2015 Eclipse Baltic Cruise. I suspect it varies considerably from cruise to cruise (especially since it doesn't match Celebrity's own Web site). From reading the text on the front, I think the list on the back was intended to be a list of everything included on the Classic package.

I'm really not sure what to say about why they put the list of cocktails at the bottom -- maybe just some suggestions? It is a good example of why a list of cocktails just doesn't work -- there are just too many possible combinations of alcohol and mixers in this world! For example, they don't list a Martini or a Gin and Tonic -- that's about as basic as they come. I drank many (too many?) of both of these on my cruise, and they were clearly included in the Classic Package, so long as I chose a brand of vodka or gin that was included (and so long as I wasn't at the Martini Bar).

I don't know the answer to the double vodka question for certain, but I would bet that most bartenders would gladly serve you a double vodka, so long as it is one of the brands included. Or, they would be happy to serve you a single, and watch you come back two minutes later for another...:)

VERY good job on your posting OP!!

I too, feel that Celebrity tends to make things more complicated than necessary (their website is the biggest culprit). It seems they like to describe everything with lots of fluffy terms and very few facts. We have had the classic package quite successfully ourselves, but may upgrade on our next cruise simply to use OBC. ;)

We had the classic on the Eclipse and got the fancy premium coffees with alcohol at Cafe al Bacio several times.

We told our sommelier on the first night we had the classic and never had to tell him or any other bartenders/servers it was "only" classic.

My two daughters had the non-alcoholic classic package. One wanted to upgrade (and did) to the premium non-alcoholic package so she could get smoothies. The only decent smoothies were at the Spa Cafe -- others were kinda icky. She had a sticker on her card to indicate she had upgraded but still said she had trouble getting smoothies.

JoAnn

Thanks to the OP for a very informative bit of research! :)

We're regular Royal cruisers but taking a cruise on Equinox in November. Cheating like all get out with that reciprocal Diamond-Elite thing. We have the Classic and from all appearances it will meet our needs very well.

Again much thanks to the OP and those who have contributed handy tips on this thread!

I'm going to ask again, if someone orders a double house vodka on the rocks, is that considered TWO drinks or one? :confused:

Technically, yes, that is two drinks. That being said, on my last cruise I was asked if I wanted a double Macallan by the bartender and I told him I was on the premium drink package and couldn't get doubles. He said "okay" and poured a double anyway. :) You'll probably be fine, but it really depends on the bartender.

FYI -for us the cocktail of the day listed on the daily planner was not covered by the classic package. Other than that probably any cocktail would be made with the included liquor store.

This is a perfect example of my gripe about how Celebrity is handling cocktail menus/marketing. As another example, my wife ordered a pomegranate Mojito, and was told it was not available on the Classic plan. Even though all the ingredients were included on the Classic list, that particular cocktail was shown on the cocktail menu, and virtually all cocktails on the menu were priced above the Classic price limit! Of course the bartender gave her the drink anyway, but what a strange and confusing system.

but I note that the very premium coffee drinks are not listed on the classic menu. It is these special coffee concoctions that make me think about the premium package. .

Don't fall for that...Very ease to order a shot of pretty much any liquor from a nearby bar under Classic and add it to your Espresso. Just look at the list of spirits on the post above. Bacio also can serve you the shots as well as some well drinks.

Edited by BecciBoo

OK.. so I love this drink. I have been able to get it on other cruise lines with the lesser drink package but do not see it listed on the approved drinks for Celebrity. Does anyone know if this is ok with the Classic package. Seems like if you can get a long Island Iced Tea....or mud slide, you should be able to get this...or a strawberry Daiquiri. Can anyone confirm this. Thanks!!!!