PERHAPS RCI should consider allowing PETS to CRUISE

Dinkachu

A recent thread has me thinking. There seems to be little tolerance for 'service' animals aboard cruise ships these days. Especially when the animals appear to provide no service beyond emotional support for the owners. Perhaps, pets should be permitted to cruise once again, as they have in the past.

In cruising days past, pets were welcome aboard. Their owners had to purchase tickets for them, and there were designated areas of the ship for pets to use.

We are not talking about the distant past either.

On our first cruise in the 1970's, there was a headliner act featuring a black panther and wild lynx. On that cruise, one elderly passenger traveled with a quiet and well mannered great dane.

The Emerald Seas, which we frequented out of Miami in the 1970's had several cats living aboard the ship. We enjoyed two small dogs one of the passengers had aboard one year.

Further back in cruise history, animals were frequent cruisers.

On the Titanic alone, there were cats, chickens, dogs, etc. Owners had to purchase tickets for them. A ticket for a canary, for example, cost the owner 25 cents.

The animals aboard Titanic included:

A King Charles Spaniel and an elderly Airedale Terrier, owned by William Carter,

Chow-Chow, a chow chow owned by Harry Anderson,

A champion French Bulldog called Gamin de Pycombe, owned by Robert W. Daniel, who had bought him in England for the very high price of £150 (£12,575 in 2012 prices) was on Titanic. So were a number of small pets, such as a

Kitty and another Airedale Terrier, owned by millionaire John Jacob Astor.

A Pomeranian owned by Margaret Bechstein Hays, which she kept in her cabin;

A dog owned by Elizabeth Rothschild, also kept in her cabin.

A Pekingese called Sun Yat Sen, owned by Henry Sleeper Harper and his wife Myra,

Frou-Frou, a Toy dog owned by Helen Bishop. The dog was allowed to stay in her cabin as the stewards considered it "too pretty" to put among the bigger dogs in the kennels.

There were probably more dogs aboard, but their details (and owners) have not survived. Passenger Charles Moore of Washington, D.C. made a last-minute change to his plans to transport aboard Titanic 100 English foxhounds, which he intended to use to start an English-style fox hunt in the Washington area.

As well as the dogs and cats, there were a number of birds aboard. Ella Holmes White of New York brought four roosters and six hens. Elizabeth Ramel Nye brought her yellow canary. Two dogs and a canary disembarked with the passengers who left the ship at Cherbourg, Titanic* '​s first port of call after Southampton. The animals travelled on their own tickets; even the canary that left at Cherbourg had to be paid for, to the tune of 25 US cents.[3]

Animals do still cruise today. Captain Johnny can be seen out and about on Allure of the Seas with his pet parrot.

Perhaps, if pets were allowed onboard, people who have emotional attachments to their pets, attachments that can be similar to those with people, would not need to insist that they are bringing aboard 'service animals'.

Royal could charge cruise fees based on the size of the pet and the could set limits on the size and type of pet that could travel. Certain portions of decks could be the 'pet deck'. (They do this at the Disney campground in Orlando - when we camp with our dog, we have to stay in the 'pet loop'). Keeping pets to a certain part of the ship would prevent allergy issues and keep the pet from interacting with those who want to cruise animal free.

Of course, there are those people who would still insist their pet is a service animal so that they can take it to off limits areas like the dining rooms. Allowing pets will not make a bit of difference in that regard.

I will be leaving my little dog home, but if I could purchase a ticket for him, I'd start packing his clothes.

Edited by Dinkachu

I'm sitting here with our mini long haired dachshund. I love him but he wouldn't go on a cruise with us even if he was allowed. I'm the one the does the significant amount of care for him and I need a break now and then. He has a wonderful sitter who comes and stays with him while we're away so he's fine being left behind.

I can't imagine any cruise line going back to allowing pets. All it takes is one pet to bite someone and it's lawsuit city.

Personally, I would not cruise on "pet-friendly" ship. I avoid pet-friendly hotels when possible. We have two cats, but their place is in my home, not anyone else's. I really don't care much for dogs as I seem to have pretty bad luck with them. I've been attacked and bitten a few times by "the sweetest dogs in the world that wouldn't hurt a fly". I was once at a pet-friendly hotel on business and another guest's leashed dog jumped on me and got dirt on my clothes and ripped my suit pants. While many people do have well-trained pets that behave, too many people are "numb" to their pet's poor behavior to make this work well.

A recent thread has me thinking. There seems to be little tolerance for 'service' animals aboard cruise ships these days. Especially when the animals appear to provide no service beyond emotional support for the owners. Perhaps, pets should be permitted to cruise once again, as they have in the past.

I would not want to be on a pet friendly ship. I tolerate service animals as far as the law requires but that's about it.

I would not take an animal on a cruise in part because I don't think it would be a very nice thing to do to the animal and partly because I think it would be a very rude thing to do to everyone else on the ship that either does not like my pet or perhaps is allergic to the pet I've brought.

Pets cannot be alone in a cabin so passengers would need to stay on board with their pets at every port. Further there are certain restrictions about bringing pets in and out of various countries.I read a few post on another thread about a person unknowingly booked on a service dog organization cruise. The passenger is concerned because of severe allergy issues.

I would not sail a "pet friendly" ship . I can just see it now....pets everywhere, in the pools, dining room, barking all night, etc.

Sorry - not for me

M

I'm all for there being a pet-friendly cruise line.

I would NEVER cruise with them - because that's certainly not something I'm interested in seeing or interacting with on vacation.

I'm sure there is a market for it - so why not? Just make sure that everyone looking to cruise is aware of there being pets onboard. Let them make their own decision about cruising with Menagerie of the Seas.

The only way I could see it working is if they did it like Cunard does. The pets are kept in their own special kennel away from the guests "out of sight, out of mind" and have their own caretaker and you can go visit Fido most anytime. I also believe its only allowed on transatlantic cruises.

Just like the children haters, there are also many pet haters here. You just think dress code and tipping threads are hot topics :eek: They would have nothing on this. It would be a full time job for the Admin keeping those under control.

Cunard-1.jpg

Edited by ryano

Just like the children haters, there are also many pet haters here.

Personally I like dogs, but it is because I like them that I would never subject one to a cruise ship. I've never had a dog that I would have thought would enjoy a week of hard floors under him. They need space outside to run and be animals.

The only way I could see it working is if they did it like Cunard does. The pets are kept in their own special kennel away from the guests "out of sight, out of mind" and have their own caretaker and you can go visit Fido most anytime. I also believe its only allowed on transatlantic cruises.

^^^agreed!

I would not cruise on a ship that allowed pets in regular cabins and in the public areas

Edited by DonnaK

I love dogs. I especially love my dog. However, I cannot imagine bringing her on a cruise. First of all, about 90% of the people on the ship would be terrified of her (she's a rescue pitbull), secondly, my stateroom would never see an attendant because of the alpha dog barking when anyone knocked on the door.

The problem is not service dogs - which come in all shapes, sizes and to serve different uses - the obvious ones and more obscure ones. The problem is with people who, simply because they can't bear to leave Fido at home, decide they have a "need" and can obtain a service dog certificate (for lack of a better term) on the internet!

Perhaps, the real solution is having a stricter requirement to verify that a dog is really a service dog. No more "Acme Service Dog Certificates" but something that is sanctioned by a bona fide service dog organization.

We have been involved in animal rescue for over 20 years, we have many of our own and although I love them, I would NOT want to vacation with them. NO THANK YOU. We love being able to go and do on vacation and not have to worry about taking care of anyone but ourselves :D Also, I do not think I would cruise on a pet friendly ship as I know (only too well), how odiferous they can be :rolleyes:

We have been involved in animal rescue for over 20 years, we have many of our own and although I love them, I would NOT want to vacation with them. NO THANK YOU. We love being able to go and do on vacation and not have to worry about taking care of anyone but ourselves :D Also, I do not think I would cruise on a pet friendly ship as I know (only too well), how odiferous they can be :rolleyes:

Pretty much says it all. Good post.

Just like the children haters, there are also many pet haters here. You just think dress code and tipping threads are hot topics :eek: They would have nothing on this. It would be a full time job for the Admin keeping those under control.

Cunard-1.jpg

Not a child hater, nor a pet hater, but don't like either on a cruise ship. That's my opinion.

Personally I like dogs, but it is because I like them that I would never subject one to a cruise ship. I've never had a dog that I would have thought would enjoy a week of hard floors under him. They need space outside to run and be animals.

I totally agree with you. I would not be interested in a pet friendly cruise where pets are roaming all over the ship. I have a service dog and I already feel the same way about subjecting her to such tight quarters with thousands of people for a whole week. Its not fair to her and its certainly not fair to other guests who have little to no tolerance for dogs. Plus, as I said yesterday. its like having a child. We all need a break once in a while. :) I love my girl with all my heart. As silly as it may sound to others, she is my only child, my faithful service companion among many other things to me. With all that said, she is best off staying here on shore when I go on a cruise :)

Edited by ryano

Perhaps, the real solution is having a stricter requirement to verify that a dog is really a service dog. No more "Acme Service Dog Certificates" but something that is sanctioned by a bona fide service dog organization.

Those certificates are not even worth the paper they are written on. There is no such thing as "service dog certification". As long as the person is disabled and the dog is trained to perform a task, its a service dog. Should there be stricter requirements? Well, thats another topic for another day IMO. :)

Edited by ryano

Cunard-1.jpg

I always had yellow Labradors like this one . Except for service dogs on board probably not a good idea. I can't believe that people can "buy" a vest saying Service Dog"!!! Seems like the people saying they do it is always for a little dog - the breeds that I doubt are real service dogs. If it lives in a purse or stroller - can't be much "help" to anyone.

If you rely on a furry animal to comfort you a cruise is probably not the best vacation for you and your beloved rover. We actually have 4 dogs but would NEVER want to bring them on vacation with us. I'm sure the dogs look forward to the breaks from humans as we do them.

Edited by CaribSailor

A recent thread has me thinking. There seems to be little tolerance for 'service' animals aboard cruise ships these days.

I think you start from a false premise. I think there is universal acceptance and tolerance for real service animals for people with real needs that the dogs receive a high amount of training.

Oh H-E- Double Hockey Sticks No! I do not want to walk into a cabin on my cruise and it smells like an animal had been in there! There are a lot of people in the world that does not have the fondness or care about animals as a lot of animal lovers do. I also know people who are just downright scared of dogs or cats! All it would take for me is to walk into a pile of dog poop somewhere on the ship and it would be on and poppin'!! :eek:

Edited by bigque