PERHAPS RCI should consider allowing PETS to CRUISE

Dinkachu

I love my dog, and try to keep her well groomed, but home she stays:D

Some of us may have had to experience bedbugs, and then to deal with fleas....no thanks.....face it, some of our fellow cruisers may not follow the best hygiene process, imagine if they brought their fellow pets. I apologize if this sounded harsh:o.

I echo the same sentiment... I love my dog, but he doesn't get to cruise with us. I also would ABSOLUTELY NEVER go on a pet-friendly ship... even if there were no pets in rooms around me or if I rarely encountered one on the ship... if they stay with the general population, I would get sick from the smell. Pets don't belong on cruise ships, and IMHO, they don't belong in hotels either. I booked a hotel at a beach this past summer, not realizing that it was pet-friendly. Even with pets confined to certain rooms and on certain floors, my room on another floor smelled like urine and dog.

Like I said, I love my dog, and I even love other peoples dogs and cats, but would never want to be stuck on a ship with the lot of them.

Now I am very tolerant of real service animals that have been trained to perform a service for their master, such as a seeing eye dogs. They are highly trained and are 'working' all the time. These are NOT the same as pets.

Edited by SnappyNappi

Buy and old ship, refurbish, then charter out pet-friendly only cruises. Do reverse certificates for those that want to sail WITHOUT pets. No pet? Sign here stating you agree this is a pets-at-sea cruise and you can't complain about anything. Just as with a 'service animal' you sign to agree to be responsible for that animal.

You could do theme cruises too!!!

Pit-Bulls Through Panama Canal.

Tortoises' Takeover Tortola.

Cats Crash Grand Cayman.

Friends have animals better trained and with more manners than some children... I am sure the masses can attest to that... Oh, so and so has the most well behaved dog... But so and so's kid is a terror...

Give me the 4 legged fur-babies over the 2 legged tornados...

Our friends ask us... Why don't you have children???

We've got 2 cats and a valid Passport... Why would we???:D;)

Those certificates are not even worth the paper they are written on. There is no such thing as "service dog certification". As long as the person is disabled and the dog is trained to perform a task, its a service dog. Should there be stricter requirements? Well, thats another topic for another day IMO. :)

Unfortunately, HIPPA laws (which do a lot of good in most circumstances) prevent companies from asking how or why a person is disabled. Therefore, Royal cannot ask "Why do you need a service dog." or even "What service do they preform." It makes it easy for people to take advantage. That is a shame because I think most people who require a service dog would be happy to show why or how.

In Disney World a person could get a 'guest assistance pass' until people realized they didn't need to have a real disability and started abusing the system. Since no documentation needed to be shown, people started making things up. They revamped the system and those with true disabilities suffered.

I love my dog, and try to keep her well groomed, but home she stays:D

Some of us may have had to experience bedbugs, and then to deal with fleas....no thanks.....face it, some of our fellow cruisers may not follow the best hygiene process, imagine if they brought their fellow pets. I apologize if this sounded harsh:o.

Doesn't sound harsh at all. Like another poster, I'm also in dog rescue and I am a court advocate for animal abuse cases in Chicago. Yet, I would never dream of taking a dog or cat on a cruise. They don't belong confined to a ship without a place to roll in the grass or sniff or do the things dog enjoy doing. Cruise ships are for humans. Not everyone loves dogs or cats and I certainly would not subject an animal to humans who do not want them around.

Unfortunately, HIPPA laws (which do a lot of good in most circumstances) prevent companies from asking how or why a person is disabled. Therefore, Royal cannot ask "Why do you need a service dog." or even "What service do they preform."

Pretty sure that HIPAA doesn't have anything to do with that. More likely an ADA issue.

Unfortunately, HIPPA laws (which do a lot of good in most circumstances) prevent companies from asking how or why a person is disabled. Therefore, Royal cannot ask "Why do you need a service dog." or even "What service do they preform." It makes it easy for people to take advantage. That is a shame because I think most people who require a service dog would be happy to show why or how.

In Disney World a person could get a 'guest assistance pass' until people realized they didn't need to have a real disability and started abusing the system. Since no documentation needed to be shown, people started making things up. They revamped the system and those with true disabilities suffered.

It's actually HIPAA, not HIPPA and is not international law. So yes, cruise lines can request the data.

The only way I could see it working is if they did it like Cunard does. The pets are kept in their own special kennel away from the guests "out of sight, out of mind" and have their own caretaker and you can go visit Fido most anytime. I also believe its only allowed on transatlantic cruises.

Just like the children haters, there are also many pet haters here. You just think dress code and tipping threads are hot topics :eek: They would have nothing on this. It would be a full time job for the Admin keeping those under control.

I love animals and especially dogs but there is no way I'd take mine on a cruise. She runs our lives about 51 weeks of the year. She can do with out us the one or two weeks that we cruise.

And the way that Cunard does it, or used to do it, is actually very hard on a dog. A dog's biggest issue is the initial separation. Going to visit the dog several times a day just causes it to go through the separation anxiety several times a day. The dog would probably be better off if the owner didn't go to see it the entire voyage. Dogs, at least mine, are better off at home or kenneled where I know she is safe and taken care of so I can enjoy my week. She can be anxious for awhile after I leave, pout for the rest of the week if she wants, and return to running the house when we get back.

My dog needed surgery once. She was in the animal hospital for two days. I didn't go to visit her simply because I didn't want to put her through the stress of the repeated separations. She is VERY attached to me.

Edited by Ocean Boy

I would not take my dogs on a cruise ship nor would I cruise on a line that allows dogs. I've been in too many situations where irresponsible owners did not or could not control their dogs. Either they allow them to roam free or they are on those useless leashes that extend allowing the animal far too much freedom. Or, the owners are simply too unskilled, are incapable of controlling their dogs, or are simply irresponsible.

Several times, while walking my dogs on a leash, I've encountered unleashed animals. I've always been able to exert sufficient control to prevent a dog fight. Regretfully, we will no longer walk our dogs even in our neighborhood due to this issue. I can only imagine how many dog fights would occur on a crowded cruise ship. You would need a full time vet aboard.

About 18 months ago while walking our Great Dane we encountered a free roaming pit bull who attempted to attack our dog. It was a tough struggle, but I was able to extract my dog from the situation without dog blood shed. All four tendons were severed in my right hand from the strain of controlling my 160 pound dog. The surgeon was able to reattach the tendons. Four months of rehab and 18 months later, I have almost full motion back. Fortunately, I have very good insurance.

Even if I left my dogs at home, I have no assurance that other dog owners would control their dogs.

Edited by RocketMan275

I was a K-9 handler for years, my dog/partner was with me 8 hours or longer a day on patrol, after the shift was over he came home with me.

I would never have considered going on a cruise and bringing him along, nor do I want any "pets" on board.

A bigger issue for me (and my hubby and kids) is the fact that many, many people are allergic to pet dander. It would become a nightmare for those of us with pet allergies to be in areas where pets are allowed unless the cleaning post-pet was extremely thorough and complete. Even designating some cabins "pet friendly" would be difficult since dander can become airborne and travel into other cabins/areas.

I agree that kids and drunks can be annoying but at least no one is medically allergic to them (that I'm aware of).

I'd be all for a pet friendly cruise. I have zero problems being around animals, and would enjoy a good menagerie tour. I would even be comfortable if the leash rules were suspended in certain areas of the ship and the dogs could roam a little...

However, I highly doubt that the extra work for the staff, the extra stains/ship wear, the extra liability, and the extra challenge to fill such a ship with passengers who are as calm around animals as myself, would be financially rewarding.

I respect true service animals and what they provide. This is what we encountered. We were boarding a plane with my parents who are 79 and both use a cane. They made them wait to board because a couple carrying a poodle had priority boarding because it was a service animal. I am trying to figure out what the poodle provided that the spouse couldn't in this instance.

We were on a cruise where a service animal was in the dining room. Very well behaved and never moved while the owner ate. I just hope people don't use the service animal excuse to travel with them, and let the people that need them use them.

I would not want to be on a pet friendly ship. I tolerate service animals as far as the law requires but that's about it.

I would not take an animal on a cruise in part because I don't think it would be a very nice thing to do to the animal and partly because I think it would be a very rude thing to do to everyone else on the ship that either does not like my pet or perhaps is allergic to the pet I've brought.

AGREE!!

Unless they are needed as a documented Service Animal they should be left at home. Some animals can detect on coming medical problems-- there was a gorgeous Standard Poodle on a ship at one time. Trained service animals we have seen are VERY well behaved. They sit quietly by their companion and are seen but not heard.

Allergies and pet hair and barking etc. are not something we want to encounter on a ship. Would not want a hotel room where animals were in there before us either or a Cabin.

We had a Std. Poodle and that was great but would never had brought her on a cruise or any trip.

Edited by CVU

The only way I could see it working is if they did it like Cunard does. The pets are kept in their own special kennel away from the guests "out of sight, out of mind" and have their own caretaker and you can go visit Fido most anytime. I also believe its only allowed on transatlantic cruises.

Just like the children haters, there are also many pet haters here. You just think dress code and tipping threads are hot topics :eek: They would have nothing on this. It would be a full time job for the Admin keeping those under control.

Cunard-1.jpg

All I can think is how stressful this has to be for an animal. They don't understand why their loved one took them out of the safe environment of home to be put in a kennel with strangers looking after them in a strange environment and only visiting them when their not doing something....talk about selfish.Leave the pets at home period !

Edited by Midwestgal

All I can think is how stressful this has to be for an animal. They don't understand why their loved one took them out of the safe environment of home to be put in a kennel with strangers looking after them in a strange environment and only visiting them when their not doing something....talk about selfish.Leave the pets at home period !

Like i said, it's only for TA I remember reading. Some people still use Cunard as their way of travel to another country for extended stay like the old days I guess? :confused: many people have to board their pets to be able to cruise. That's just as you described too really

Edited by ryano

Not only making things up, but locals who DID in fact meet the qualifications the assistance pass was technically for started pimping themselves (or friends or family) out to the highest bidder.

A recent thread has me thinking. There seems to be little tolerance for 'service' animals aboard cruise ships these days. Especially when the animals appear to provide no service beyond emotional support for the owners. Perhaps, pets should be permitted to cruise once again, as they have in the past.

In cruising days past, pets were welcome aboard. Their owners had to purchase tickets for them, and there were designated areas of the ship for pets to use.

We are not talking about the distant past either...

Sure, why not? While we're at it, lets bring back smoking in the dining room too!:rolleyes:

I respect true service animals and what they provide. This is what we encountered. We were boarding a plane with my parents who are 79 and both use a cane. They made them wait to board because a couple carrying a poodle had priority boarding because it was a service animal. I am trying to figure out what the poodle provided that the spouse couldn't in this instance.

We were on a cruise where a service animal was in the dining room. Very well behaved and never moved while the owner ate. I just hope people don't use the service animal excuse to travel with them, and let the people that need them use them.

The dog in the Dining Room that you described is a true Service/Assistance animal.

Passengers are using the service animal excuse to travel with their dogs.