Attaching Luggage Tags

bluewhite

Have just noticed on our luggage tags it says, Attach before leaving home.

I have never seen before.

So when do people attach them? We have always done it at pre cruise hotel if we are flying into port

Just curious and interested in other peoples answers.

Have just noticed on our luggage tags it says, Attach before leaving home.

I have never seen before.

So when do people attach them? We have always done it at pre cruise hotel if we are flying into port

Just curious and interested in other peoples answers.

Whoever posted that probably does not fly, or has not yet had their cruise tags cut off the bags and discarded by an airline ticket agent or skycap. ;)

We attach our cruise tags at the pier when we turn the bags over to the porters.

I always put mine on just before I leave for the cruise port. And for the poster who wonders why people put them on their hand luggage--what if you set it down and forget it while waiting to get in your cabin? I've been known to set things down and forget how much I'm carrying. Plus, lots of times my carryon is a blue Celebrity bag--there are zillions of those in circulation.

Edited by Happy Cruiser 6143

I am in the group who puts the tags on while I am in my hotel room

the morning I am heading out to the port.

Alcpa1, 4 upgrades? WOW.....3 different cruiselines have given you 4

different upgrades? They must love you:p

We also put them on when ready to go to the port. We bring clear packaging tape ~ 2 inches wide and completely cover the luggage tags to help prevent them from ripping off (learned this from a CC member many years ago who had seen one of these flimsy tags ripping off when the porters handled them in port). We repeat this the night before leaving luggage in the hall the night before disembarkation. Make sure the barcode is not wrinkled so they can scan it.

They haven't lost anything of ours yet (we still make sure other identifying info is on/in the suitcase in case).

Another who does attaches them in the hotel before heading for the port. I normally add one to my carry on, just in case we get separated, although that has never happened.

It's been 18 months since our last Celebrity cruise. Are they still providing the airline-like labels that are run through the handle?

I always put mine on just before I leave for the cruise port. And for the poster who wonders why people put them on their hand luggage--what if you set it down and forget it while waiting to get in your cabin? I've been known to set things down and forget how much I'm carrying. Plus, lots of times my carryon is a blue Celebrity bag--there are zillions of those in circulation.

I do the same thing particularly since you usually have to wait a couple hours after boarding before you can get to your cabins. We've forgotten things also. Just playing it safe since that usually has my meds.

Edited by dkjretired

Never put them on before you arrive at the airport to fly to your destination. That is a clear signal to every baggage handler that you're going to be gone for X number of days.

If you happen to be one of those not-so-savvy people that put their home address on a personal luggage tag, the baggage handler now knows where you live and how long you'll be gone. Not good. Either put a work address, a friend/family member's address or just an email and phone contact. That's what we do - email and phone only. If someone needs to know more than that, they can call or email me.

Also, take a picture of your suitcase with your cell phone. If it gets lost, you can show the picture to the airline rep. and even email it to them so they can print it out. It's much better than saying, "Well, it's black, about so big and about so wide...".

Never put them on before you arrive at the airport to fly to your destination. That is a clear signal to every baggage handler that you're going to be gone for X number of days.

If you happen to be one of those not-so-savvy people that put their home address on a personal luggage tag, the baggage handler now knows where you live and how long you'll be gone. Not good. Either put a work address, a friend/family member's address or just an email and phone contact. That's what we do - email and phone only. If someone needs to know more than that, they can call or email me.

Also, take a picture of your suitcase with your cell phone. If it gets lost, you can show the picture to the airline rep. and even email it to them so they can print it out. It's much better than saying, "Well, it's black, about so big and about so wide...".

This is such a good idea! I've been travelling by air since I was 12, and I've never before thought to do this. I'm 59 now, so obviously, I'm a bit of a s slow learner! :p

Never before I fly to the destination. Always when we leave the hotel for the port.

We get way more than we need so we put two on everything (none on our carry-ons although I see people who do that and always wonder why ---).

They probably do it just in case they get separated from their bag.