SINGLE HSC/TIPPING THREAD (Previously "Why are gratuities not included in Fares?")

wannagonow123

Clearly, it would be to leave the HSC intact unless you encounter remarkably consistent service failures throughout your cruise.

This message may have been entered using voice recognition. Please excuse any typos.

So what's the answer that doesn't punish the crew or affect their wages?

If the poor service warrants it, reduce the HSC, but notify Guest Services as to who caused the reduction (this can steer the reduction to the specific service area without affecting the other areas). If you don't wish to reduce the HSC, then simply mention the service failure to Guest Services, preferably in writing, and or on the questionnaire at the end of the cruise.

I hate the system, but it is the reality of the industry.

Would someone in the know please give me a definitive answer. When one tips a bartender or room steward for service above and beyond, does that person keep the tip, or is it pooled. I generously tip the room stewards who look after me so well on a long cruise; do they keep the tip?

If you look around the board, you will see dozens of threads on tips, including the info you seek.

The bartender is on a different contract than the room steward. The bartender gets to keep all tips.

The room steward, if you have not canceled the hotel service charge, gets to keep any extra tips. If you canceled the hotel service charge, the room steward has to pool their "extra" tips you give.

On one ship I saw a Crow's Nest bartender put a cash tip into a large pitcher with other cash. I don't know if that was a pool for just the two bartenders there, or if it included the servers there, or if it was pooled with other venues. Or if it was just that one bartender's tips. :)

Edited by jtl513

If you look around the board, you will see dozens of threads on tips, including the info you seek.

The bartender is on a different contract than the room steward. The bartender gets to keep all tips.

The room steward, if you have not canceled the hotel service charge, gets to keep any extra tips. If you canceled the hotel service charge, the room steward has to pool their "extra" tips you give.

I absolutely agree with CruiserBruce.

Not 100% sure, but I think any additional gratutities that are offered during or at the end of a cruise to Lounge Steward/ess are also kept by them as well and not required to be put into a pool.

As long as you do not remove the "Hotel Service Charge" -- you can tip anyone you want to.

We never remove the Hotel Service Charge so that we can tip extra to those whom we feel have made our cruise enjoyable. This includes our room stewards, staff in the specialty restaurants, main dining room, etc.

Some bars pool the cash tips. Others do not. I don't think that there's a hard and fast rule. It's probably by mutual agreement among the employees. I just figure that once the money leaves my hands, it's no longer my concern.

Some bars pool the cash tips. Others do not. I don't think that there's a hard and fast rule. It's probably by mutual agreement among the employees. I just figure that once the money leaves my hands, it's no longer my concern.

We were told by a couple of bar staff that the 15% gratuity charged is shared by ALL bar staff on all ships -- union contract. This was told to us by a beverage manager.

This came about because of rotation of bar staff and some workers getting more working time during "Happy Hour".

We were told by a couple of bar staff that the 15% gratuity charged is shared by ALL bar staff on all ships -- union contract. This was told to us by a beverage manager.

This came about because of rotation of bar staff and some workers getting more working time during "Happy Hour".

I was referring to cash tips. Sometimes they go into a jar. Other times the employee puts them in his or her pocket. We've actually seen it both ways on the same ship.

Would someone in the know please give me a definitive answer. When one tips a bartender or room steward for service above and beyond, does that person keep the tip, or is it pooled. I generously tip the room stewards who look after me so well on a long cruise; do they keep the tip?

And I bet we end up with multiple 'definitive" answers.

I was referring to cash tips. Sometimes they go into a jar. Other times the employee puts them in his or her pocket. We've actually seen it both ways on the same ship.

I've seen it both ways too. Martini bar on Celebrity all bar staff added it to the same jar the last night assuming going to be split equally.

We were told by a couple of bar staff that the 15% gratuity charged is shared by ALL bar staff on all ships -- union contract.
That's a necessity because of the difficulty of allocating the 15% included in pre-purchases otherwise.

That's a question that will be very difficult to get a definitive answer.

The HSC charges are all collected and go into one account to be paid to crew. How these "pooled" monies are distributed has never been clearly demonstrated on CC. You would think that of all the years that CC has been in existence and all the crew employed that some former crew members would have provided the answer by now.

The other issue of crew pooling extra tips will generally vary from ship to ship and department to department. Much like on land, some establishments pool tips, others do not.

One of the reasons that some crew will not confirm the pooling of tips is the fear that you may reduce your tip if you knew that the particular crew member you want to reward may not actually receive all of the reward.

That's a question that will be very difficult to get a definitive answer.

The HSC charges are all collected and go into one account to be paid to crew. How these "pooled" monies are distributed has never been clearly demonstrated on CC. You would think that of all the years that CC has been in existence and all the crew employed that some former crew members would have provided the answer by now.

The other issue of crew pooling extra tips will generally vary from ship to ship and department to department. Much like on land, some establishments pool tips, others do not.

One of the reasons that some crew will not confirm the pooling of tips is the fear that you may reduce your tip if you knew that the particular crew member you want to reward may not actually receive all of the reward.

I am more inclined to share your view that it may vary from ship to ship and department to department, based on the different responses I got from those area.

Is it possible or acceptable to tip your stateroom attendant (extra, NOT in place of HSC) with a gift card? I read this as a tip on another website but wasn't sure what the protocol was, specifically on HAL? It mentioned something like it may be a nice treat for them to receive a gift card for a place in port. Is this a possibility? Or would it be unable to be used since it can't be split up amongst the other staff?

And if it is a good idea, any suggestions of places in Seattle or Alaska that would appreciated by them?

Side note: I used the search function before posting this but it is possible I did not use the correct verbage as it did not come up with anything that was related.

It is possible for you to over tip by providing a gift card. I would advise against it though. Many gift cards have restrictions and fees associated with them that reduce the over all value of the card. Most crew need cash in order to support families back home and the gift card may be useless back home. Also, keep in mind that many crew cannot get off the ship in all ports so the ability to use the gift card in port is diminished.

Finally, and my own pet peeve with gift cards, is that often times your purchase does not use all the available funds on the gift card and you are often left with a gift card with a very small balance. More often than not, you never use that small balance and it diminishes the value of the gift.

Is it possible or acceptable to tip your stateroom attendant (extra, NOT in place of HSC) with a gift card? I read this as a tip on another website but wasn't sure what the protocol was, specifically on HAL?

Ca$h is always better than a gift card, or some other form of giving thanks (with the possible exception of a positive mention in a review of the cruise). The person receiving a gift card may not have time off the ship in that port, so will have difficulty using it.

Even if they can use it, or sell it to someone who can, they won't get the full range of choice that ca$h gives.

I bolded your last sentence..Completely agree with you!

It is not our concern!:cool:

[/b]

I bolded your last sentence..Completely agree with you!

It is not our concern!:cool:

I also agree. The pooling of cash tips is none of my concern. I figure if the staff reach that agreement amongst themselves then they feel comfortable with that arrangement and whoever are members of the group.

To be fair, no such agreement was agreed upon "amongst themselves". It is a system imposed on them by their employers and recruiters. Having said that, it is one of hundreds of aspects of the industry that are insidious and unflattering​. There's no reason to call this one out among the many. We either take the industry as it is, complete with all its various aspects of fairness and unfairness, or avoid it entirely.

This message may have been entered using voice recognition. Please excuse any typos.