SINGLE HSC/TIPPING THREAD (Previously "Why are gratuities not included in Fares?")

wannagonow123

I was merely reporting what I encountered on my cruise and what I did to stop it, albeit with only one person. I'm sorry you interpreted my post differently.

You did right and the other person must have thought the same if they opted back in to autogratuities.

Why not? there are new people posting all the time and they have a right to post.

I think the point being made was that on certain 'hot button' subjects (tipping being one of them), there is always so much discussion and information already available (by taking the time to do a simple search) on these boards; that there really isn't a good reason to start a whole new thread covering the same material over and over again.

And I happen to agree.. ;)

Our cruises tend to be 7 nighters so the tips are not massive amounts and i always prepay or autopay plus give extra to deserving people.

I am sure when people stop their autotips some might well tip individually to who they want but IMO no where near the amount they would on autogratuities.

JMHO, but I completely agree. In my opinion, the majority of those will give some pittance to assuage their conscience but it will be no where near the HSC.

People can always find ways to justify being cheap.

JMHO, but I completely agree. In my opinion, the majority of those will give some pittance to assuage their conscience but it will be no where near the HSC.

Exactly.

I was merely reporting what I encountered on my cruise and what I did to stop it, albeit with only one person. I'm sorry you interpreted my post differently.

Hello Alberta Quilter,

I just meant that regardless if people opting out are tipping or not, I will only focus on myself and do the right thing regardless of others.

Cheers, The Canadians!:cool:

It is lovely to be in such good company as the majority of CC members who refuse to remove the HSC ... and then most give more to those who made their cruise special.

Yes, some people always find a way to JUSTIFY being cheap. They can still sleep at night. So can I, but I'm happier about doing the right thing than being happy by what I got away with.

First, I will state that I have never removed the HSC and I invariably provide an extra cash tip to 4 or 5 crew members that have treated us the way we expect HAL service to be. But, we have been cruising with HAL for more than 20 years. I remember when HAL said that tipping was not required or expected, and then they said that tipping was expected, but they would not suggest an amount. When they instituted the HSC, it became more easier as it was something you didn't have to stress over. My question is: What changed? Why was it OK to not tip and now if you choose not to you are a pariah? Did someone at Corporate decide that we can pay our crew less if we can shame the passengers into paying part of their compensation? And did that person get a big bonus at the end of the year for his suggestion?

First, I will state that I have never removed the HSC and I invariably provide an extra cash tip to 4 or 5 crew members that have treated us the way we expect HAL service to be. But, we have been cruising with HAL for more than 20 years. I remember when HAL said that tipping was not required or expected, and then they said that tipping was expected, but they would not suggest an amount. When they instituted the HSC, it became more easier as it was something you didn't have to stress over. My question is: What changed? Why was it OK to not tip and now if you choose not to you are a pariah? Did someone at Corporate decide that we can pay our crew less if we can shame the passengers into paying part of their compensation? And did that person get a big bonus at the end of the year for his suggestion?

I will start by saying that I am just hitting my third decade cruising with HAL and my memory is a bit different than yours.

When "tipping was not required" I remember a talk with hints on how much to tip the staff.

We knew the recommended amount when the tipping became "expected". I believe it was told at the disembarkation talk and I believe there was also something about it in those old lovely blue books we used to get.

The problem was a lot of people "ducked out" on the last night and a lot didn't tip or were unsure on the amount.

The HSC solves several issues IMO - the right amount and, no need to have a pile of cash to dole out.

Like you, we tip extra and need some cash but the amount of cash required for a 30 day or longer cruise would be astronomical if the HSC were not in place.

We leave our autotips where they are as it is cruise lines rules (their business and i dont care what they do with money) amd sometimes we give extra. Sometimes when it is clear beyond duty.

I am well aware of people removing tips. Some people I even know. Not approving this behavior, but tired to argue (not my job to watch them). I just wish that already automatically charged tips were included into fare so no more controversy.

The only reservation about including tips into fare is that sometimes we use obc to pay them, but it's OK if we won't

People aren't being that cheap if they are paying thousands of dollars for the cruise, though. Another way to think of this issue, why should employee wages be subsidized by passengers and not paid fully by the employer? What exactly is the purpose of having gratuities as a separate charge? What exactly am I being grateful for? Have a clean cabin? Being served food calmly on a plate instead of thrown across the MDR? Do away with the "service charge" and all of this "guilt" will go away.

Question: So if I leave auto-tipping in place & tip extra to specific individuals, that extra tip money still goes into a "pool" to be distributed to others?

Not if Auto-tip left in place then they get to personally keep that extra tip.

People aren't being that cheap if they are paying thousands of dollars for the cruise, though.

Any one who stiffs the crew is being 'cheap'. If you can't afford the HSC, stay at home or skip a few drinks at the bar.

Another way to think of this issue, why should employee wages be subsidized by passengers and not paid fully by the employer?

Ultimately, it is the passenger who pays the crew.

What exactly is the purpose of having gratuities as a separate charge? What exactly am I being grateful for? Have a clean cabin? Being served food calmly on a plate instead of thrown across the MDR? Do away with the "service charge" and all of this "guilt" will go away.

The only one's who should feel guilty are those who are stiffing the crew.

Any one who stiffs the crew is being 'cheap'. If you can't afford the HSC, stay at home or skip a few drinks at the bar.

Ultimately, it is the passenger who pays the crew.

The only one's who should feel guilty are those who are stiffing the crew.

This is the most complete answer to the questions/comments on this thread. Spot on!

This is the most complete answer to the questions/comments on this thread. Spot on!

Thank you.

I try.

I really do.

I remember another thread where someone was complaining about the increase in the HSC for seven day cruise. The poster was considering cancelling the HSC in protest over this increase. The increase was the equivalent of one beer. That's cheap and it's someone who is looking for an excuse to justify acting in a cheap way.

Our Australian friends who cruises always opt out of paying gratuities as they told us it is built in their price cruise in Australia. I believed them but now I don't know if it is true

The Canadians!:cool:

We're from Oz and are on HAL in July (Alaska-Vancouver).

The culture in Oz is that tipping is given for good service, rather than being told to do so.

That being said, we do understand that cruising seems to have a different set of rules.

Generally I've found that for Australians cruising, other than ex Australia, gratuities are generally included in the price. For instance we've recently

done 3 Viking (2 River; 1 Ocean) & gratuities were included in the fare. All we had to do was present a voucher to reception on disembarkation. Any exceptional service was also rewarded with cash in hand to the individual/s. We had no idea what the 'daily rate' was, and didn't really care.

My understanding for Cruises ex Oz, depending on the line, is that they don't include gratuities either in the price, or a recommended daily rate.

I would have preferred HAL to have included gratuities in the fare, rather than concerning myself about a cost of x$ & if I'm getting value for the service provided.

Unfortunately except when HAL has some specials the Hotel Service Charge is not included in the fare so it is an extra charge on your bill.

If you cruise on HAL as part of a Scenic or APT land/cruise package, the HSC will be included in the cost from Scenic or APT. This happened when we were in Canada/Alaska with Scenic.

We have cruised twice since then with HAL and have another cruise booked. We never remove the HSC and we do tip extra when we think we have received good service.

Reading this thread has made me realise that what I thought was a difficult procedure (tipping in general) is just as difficult for those used to tipping.

Reading this thread has made me realise that what I thought was a difficult procedure (tipping in general) is just as difficult for those used to tipping.

Nothing difficult about.

1. Leave the HSC in place unless your service is terrible and you can't resolve by meeting with management.

2. Tip in addition as you see fit.