SINGLE HSC/TIPPING THREAD (Previously "Why are gratuities not included in Fares?")

wannagonow123

I tip in US dollars and only ever order breakfast. When I place the card outside the door I always put the tip in the little slot that holds the service/privacy card. That way I never forget to tip and it is always right there to pick up when the door is answered.

We do not tip for room service. We consider this an included dining option so we don't tip for it anymore than we tip in the main dining room every night.

Never think it is a good idea to throw cash around in order to force one's way to the front of the line over other passengers when on a closed environment cruise ship. But that is me and call me old fashioned.

Each to their own.

We do tip as we appreciate good service. I put myself through University in the service industry and appreciate good service. it has nothing to do with moving to the "top of the line".

Since your room service attendants may vary, we prefer to tip on each occasion.

Since our bar staff, MDR stewards are constant (fixed dining), we tip them at the end of the cruise or segment.

No requirement to do so of course, we choose to do so when the service warrants it (and, it usually does).

We are big tippers at the end of the cruise and have had the experience of being enthusiastically re-welcomed aboard a new journey.

During the cruise I think the best tip is to be kind and pleasant.

I always tip for room service breakfast in USD. Its nothing to do with trying to get better service but rather showing appreciation for the excellent service we already have. Just had 27 days of room service breakfast (prefer it way more than going to the Pinnacle Grill) and I always tuck the $ bills in the card slot of the door the night before, so that it is ready before the guy quickly slips out again.

As to other tipping onboard, we wait until the last evening and tip those who have given us great service during the cruise, again in USD.

Each to their own.

We do tip as we appreciate good service. I put myself through University in the service industry and appreciate good service. it has nothing to do with moving to the "top of the line".

Since our bar staff, MDR stewards are constant (fixed dining), we tip them at the end of the cruise or segment.

No requirement to do so of course, we choose to do so when the service warrants it (and, it usually does).

I put myself through college in the restaurant industry too - which has nothing to do with tipping for an already included on board dining option service, which also is included in the HSC.

Not sure how one defines "really good service" when it is simoly rolling a cart down the hallway, knocking on a door and brining in s prepared tray. That seems like a minimum expected job description, much like bringing trays into the main dining room and setting them down at each table.

Which would mean anyone using "As You Wish" dining would also be expected to tip after each meal in the main dining room since one might be having different dining crews each night. Just looking for the internal logic is tripping "room service" as something extraordinary, versus all the other service amenities one simply accepts as already included as routine activities on board the ship.

I don't believe room service personnel are included in the service tip pool. They are providing an extra service and I believe appropriate to tip a few bucks. Those are a few bucks I'll never miss but meaningful to the recipient.

Europe cruises may be different as not a tipping culture.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Each to their own.

We always tip and do so in U.S. $$. the ship operates on U.S. $$ so we think that best for tipping. JMO.

I don't believe room service personnel are included in the service tip pool. They are providing an extra service and I believe appropriate to tip a few bucks. Those are a few bucks I'll never miss but meaningful to the recipient.

The hotel tip covers the room service staff who are generally part of the regular dining room staff

https://www.hollandamerica.com/cruise-vacation-planning/PlanningAndAdvice.action?tabName=Shipboard%20Life&contentMenu=Money%20Matters&contentSubMenu=Is%20There%20A%20Hotel%20Service%20Charge%20(Gratuity%2FTip)#

I tip in US dollars and only ever order breakfast. When I place the card outside the door I always put the tip in the little slot that holds the service/privacy card. That way I never forget to tip and it is always right there to pick up when the door is answered.

The "put the breakfast tip in the slot" is a genius suggestion. Way better than leaving it on the desk or some random place and having to remember where.

Room service is generally kitchen staff...they are not included in the basic tips. Those tips cover your cabin attendant, waiters, ass't. waiters and head waiter. $1-5 is ample for room service, depending on how much they are carrying to you.

The hotel tip covers the room service staff who are generally part of the regular dining room staff
Room service is generally kitchen staff...they are not included in the basic tips.
Hmmmm.

Incidentally, fwiw, Royal Caribbean specifies that the hotel service charge is split between Dining Services staff, Stateroom Attendants, and "Other Hotel Services". Room service workers must fall into one of those categories. I don't see any reason to believe that any of the mass market cruise lines would divide up the tips much differently.

This message may have been entered using voice recognition. Please excuse any typos.

This is my understanding as well. The basic service charge goes into a pool to cover those who provide the BASIC services: primarily cabin and dining room stewards- and it is made clear how the $13.50 (or whatever) amount is allocated. Room service delivery is clearly not "basic service", so it seems totally appropriate to give something. I think about $2.00 for morning coffee, $5.00 for a light meal or snack, and $10.00 for a full meal is appropriate.

Hmmmm.

Incidentally, fwiw, Royal Caribbean specifies that the hotel service charge is split between Dining Services staff, Stateroom Attendants, and "Other Hotel Services". I don't see any reason to believe that any of the mass market cruise lines would divide up the time much differently.

This message may have been entered using voice recognition. Please excuse any typos.

That is what HAL says in the link I posted above. It is all covered. There is no reason to tip unless you are feeling particularly generous.

Room service is generally kitchen staff...they are not included in the basic tips. Those tips cover your cabin attendant, waiters, ass't. waiters and head waiter. $1-5 is ample for room service, depending on how much they are carrying to you.

Re: your comment about Room Service Stewards being part of kitchen staff.

I have wondered about this. Once, I had a Room Service Steward who had been my Assistant Dining Room Steward on a previous cruise. It appeared to me that his new position was a demotion from what he had done. Or, is it just part of the rotation of duties and stations that the Dining Room Staff seem to endure?

As to Room Service gratuities, I offer them as well with the amount depending upon the order and the number of persons being served.

We always tip extra for room service, but they are regular dining room staff who volunteer for the room service job in order to make extra tips..

Yes they are included in the Hotel Service Charge but we still tip extra, because we want to show appreciation with a small tip for our morning coffee..We normally do not get a full breakfast as DH likes to go to the dining room..

They were wonderful to me, when I was ill & confined to quarters by the ship Dr.They would bring a menu to me every day & were very attentive about mking sure that I had food..They all wore a mask when they came into our cabin but were so sweet..I have no idea how DH handled that tipping though, as I was too ill to care & he doesn't remember now..

Edited by serendipity1499

If they have a "crew bank" onboard to deposit cash, would it matter if it was not in USD? Especially on a European cruise, a lot of passengers might not have our currency.

there is a crew purser and crew bank on HAL ships.

We always tip extra for room service, but they are regular dining room staff who volunteer for the room service job in order to make extra tips..

Yes they are included in the Hotel Service Charge but we still tip extra, because we want to show appreciation with a small tip for our morning coffee..We normally do not get a full breakfast as DH likes to go to the dining room..

They were wonderful to me, when I was ill & confined to quarters by the ship Dr.They would bring a menu to me every day & were very attentive about mking sure that I had food..They all wore a mask when they came into our cabin but were so sweet..I have no idea how DH handled that tipping though, as I was too ill to care & he doesn't remember now..

The first paragraph of your post interests me. Are you sure that they really are MDR staff that volunteer for an extra job?

I guess if you give a few bucks to anyone on the ship it will make them happy, but most people only give tips to those they interact with. What makes them different then the crew members who swab the decks or paint the railings or oilers in the engine room other then the fact that tipping them in person instead of increasing your daily service charge for everyone is a self-serving way of acting pompous to increase your ego.

Tipping anonymously through increasing your daily service charge for all is a much more equitable and altruistic way to show your genuine feelings for the crew.

I tip in the onboard currency, which is usually USD. On Zuiderdam last year in the Baltics, we gave a few dollars to the room service people. In my University days, I worked at a country club where tips were "included" but it always made my day to have someone slip me a few extra bucks. Now I pay it forward when I cruise. I also tip bar staff, wait staff who go above and beyond (I'm a vegetarian so I have more special requests than most), etc.