When do you feel your vacation has started?

TBone2K

I agree there are various levels of "vacation starting moments." I definitely get a vacation mode feeling when I book the trip and start planning. Pulling out of the driveway is a BIG one (we usually drive to NY, but occasionally fly to FL), getting to the port and seeing the ship, checking in, crossing the threshold of the ship. But for all of my fellow NY cruisers, there's that moment when you cruise under the Verrazano Bridge that affirms you're leaving it all behind with nothing but open waters and fun times ahead!

The moment I set foot on the ship, right after I politely dodge the photographers, who I see as the last obstacle to me enjoying my cruise :)

Then I have that moment of total freedom, when all my worries go away, except that question : "Where do I go first?".

I join the multiple levels crowd:

1. When we commit the funds [especially final payment day].

2. When we pack the bags.

3. Dropping off the dog.

4. That first taste of crappy, outrageously expensive airport food [that tastes surprisingly good considering what it is and how much I paid for it].

5. Meeting friends we haven't seen since the last cruise in the hotel the night before.

6. First glimpse of the ship.

7. Using my passport in anger.

8. The "bong" of the seapass reader as we access the ship.

9. The first time a crew person says "welcome on board the ____ of the Seas."

10. More crappy food in the Windjammer [maybe it's the salt air, but it tastes pretty good too.]

11. Unpacking in the cabin.

12. First dinner.

13. Feeling the ship move.

. . . .

. . . . It keeps me coming back.

For me I am out of my mind nervous nelly until I step foot on the ship and even then I don't think I get into vacation (relaxed) mode until about sail away when I have a drink in my hand. Friends of ous have invited us to a party the evening before our cruise this month and my hubby told them "don't mind Kimmy, it's the night before our cruise so she will be out of her mind" ...I'm thinking the party is good timing might give me something else to think about.

After I walk out the front door and get in the car to go to the pier or to the airport :)

Ditto - the minute I walk out of my house and lock the door! We usually have to fly to get to a cruise port. Last month we just had to drive across the state, leave our car at DD's house, take a bus across the Canadian border to Vancouver, B.C. to catch the Jewel. Our next cruise, which {gulp} isn't until next September (but gosh it's a big b2b) will be the same thing! :D

It comes in stages. My vacation really starts when I walk out the door at work the day before we leave, then;

Wheels up on the plane

Checked in at pre cruise hotel

When I here the "ding" of the sea pass scanner (which I have as my email notification)

After Muster

Seated at first dinner

First morning on the balcony.

Each comes with a level of relaxation and diminishing presence of the real world.

The vacation begins the second the empty suitcase goes under the bed.

Travel and embarkation are often stressful. I dislike security checkpoints, lines, waits, the first-day Windjammer/elevator crowds, lugging a carry-on bag, etc.

So for me, the vacation and true sense of freedom begin shortly after entering the stateroom and being fully unpacked.

----

My runner up answer is the second the phone goes into airplane mode. Being untethered from the device truly does wonders for the tired soul.

Holiday mode for me starts once I have booked the holiday, I love doing research and getting useful information from sites like this.:p

We almost always stay at a hotel by the airport the night before flying, not because we live so far away. I love spending the night at the airport, getting to the hotel mid afternoon, doing night before luggage drop when available. Having a meal land-side in the airport and getting up the next morning feeling refreshed and taking a slow walk into the terminal. It's great just walking to departures, without the horrendous queues to check in:D

That is exactly what we do night at the airport makes for a perfect start to a vacation

Today...

Paid off a 11 day cruise...

Booked hotel and paid for parking...

Bought New England Patriots tickets for the day before cruise.. got prepaid parking for the games..

Shore excursions almost done...

Yep I do think today is the start of my "Vacation" :)

When I take that first breath of Florida humidity when I step off the plane...

Or the first whiff of the refinery smell when I step off the plane at Hobby on the way to Galveston. :eek:

It is 3:30 p.m. right now. I changed my work voicemail and set my email away message. I watered my plants. I washed my coffee cup. I am waiting for it to be 4 p.m. so I can leave. THEN, I will be on vacation!

Oh no, I still have to pack! :eek:

Edited by moknits