It's official! Formal nights gone, evening chic in! (3 Threads Merged)

Wj420

Celebrity is a for profit company that has hired marketing and directional personal to remain viable going into the future. Celebrity has the past reputation of catering to the upper middle class and middle to upper age. If they do not make steps to encourage the next generation of upper middle class cruisers and get their young families to enjoy the experience by making changes to encourage them to spend their dollars then they will go out of business as the older generation dies off or can no longer cruise due to medical conditions.

Cadillac had the same problem years ago and really shaked the tree with providing stellar technology and modernizing their package. They have turned the corner and have lured a younger generation back to that brand. Lexus is having the same challenge and is working on it as well. Oldsmobile...well the financial crisis didn't help, but you get the idea.

Change is going to happen, you have to be nimble and embrace it or you let it eat you alive and be all sour and resentful. Besides if not for change we would all be going to formal night in our togas with olive wreaths in our hair.

Forward on!!!

kbarnum...could not agree with you more. Celebrity is a business and this is strictly a business decision.

We do not cruise on Celebrity because of formal evenings. Nor do we cruise to see or be seen. Or really for the food. It is the entire package offering. us Formal nights for us are a minute part of our cruise in terms of preference and in terms of event elapsed time.

So, no impact on us whatsoever. We did not dine in the MDR on our last Celebrity cruise and probably won't on our next. The new cruise chic guidelines are meaningless to us and we have not even bothered to read the announcement. Besides, most cruisers will do what they want to do, notwithstanding any announcement.

In NYC that would be evening chic for sure. Nothing to do with price of the jeans, they could be old navy for all i know, it's the total outfit and how the woman is styled. Come to the big city sometime.

I'm from Chicago (which is sorta big I think) and that's not evening chic no matter how you want to dress it up. To me, jeans and chic go together like sardines and ice cream.

Believe me, I love wearing jeans. I am at my most comfortable in wearing them. Jeans are just not chic. Chic means elegantly and stylishly fashionable.

I'm from Chicago (which is sorta big I think) and that's not evening chic no matter how you want to dress it up. To me, jeans and chic go together like sardines and ice cream.

Believe me, I love wearing jeans. I am at my most comfortable in wearing them. Jeans are just not chic. Chic means elegantly and stylishly fashionable.

totally disagree, i think she is perfectly elegant and absolutely stylish and fashionable. Chic for sure.

totally disagree, i think she is perfectly elegant and absolutely stylish and fashionable. Chic for sure.

Agree to wholeheartedly disagree.

Anyway, just to point it out to you and others.

These are considered chic jeans:

fineandchic-jeans.jpg

You have to understand New Yorkers (and I was born in the Bronx but escaped). They seriously believe there is nothing worthwhile west of the Hudson. That's why they refer to "The City" as being New York, as if no other city exists. For all its problems, Chicago has it all over The City.:D

I like you. Can we be new best friends? :D :cool:

Put "Chic Dress Code" into google and see what you get. Barely any jeans, a small smattering at most.

Change it to chic evening dress code and look at what it is. No jeans to be seen at all really. It's "elegant" and "fashionable" (my terms).

Two very different animals, Chic could be a bathing suit / cover up, club-wear or evening wear. It could be (incorrectly if you ask me) be interpreted as a Hawaiian shirt. The quantity of posts is partly due to the vagueness of the "code" (and of course partly for those taking each side).

We like to "dine" for dinner, and often find dinner with friends who we often meet onboard and event in and of itself. Does it matter what they wear? Not really? Is it different when everyone is in festive or formal attire? Sure. Will it impact what line we choose? It sounds like it might.

Happy sailing,

Jenna

dude, no one considers the one on the right to be chic.

i give you the distressed, pre ripped ones can be (but for daytime), black jeans, styled correctly are for sure.

Jeans can certainly be chic. Jeans are not all chic. Evening gowns are not all chic either, some are atrocious.

I personally didn't pack jeans on my last cruise, but mostly cause they're too hot. And I don't wear heels cause i suck at walking in them.

I'm going to start posting pix of "fancy" flip flops next. just cause. I'll post the $300 ones folks wear to work. :)

i give you the distressed, pre ripped ones can be (but for daytime), black jeans, styled correctly are for sure.

Jeans can certainly be chic. Jeans are not all chic. Evening gowns are not all chic either, some are atrocious.

I personally didn't pack jeans on my last cruise, but mostly cause they're too hot. And I don't wear heels cause i suck at walking in them.

I'm going to start posting pix of "fancy" flip flops next. just cause. I'll post the $300 ones folks wear to work. :)

This pretty much sums it up. Jeans can be a lot of things. Who decides which ones are designer, and which ones are chic?

Formal is formal. Sure we can debate what is a what isn't and whether it was enforced or ignored but it was (for the most part) black and white.

Happy sailing,

Jenna

First of all, the name is NOT "dude". SERIOUSLY, that's a major pet peeve of mine.

Second of all, I did a search for "chic jeans" and that was the first pic of the second line of pics. The 8th pic to be exact.

Third of all, no matter how you dress it up, they're still jeans. Putting lipstick on pig does not make the pig beautiful.

Since Celebrity is a sponsor of Project Runway, why don't they get Heidi, Nina and Tim to inform us of exactly what is 'Chic' these days? Surely Celebrity paid good money to partner with these pros!

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

We are on a 14 night Eclipse cruise in February.....we decided that we did not want to bring formal night clothes and would eat those nights in a specialty diningroom....just didn't want the suit/tie/shoes to take with us....now, we will plan our dining differently and maybe go to the MDR on "formal" night since my husband won't need a suit....works for me....

First of all, the name is NOT "dude". SERIOUSLY, that's a major pet peeve of mine.

Second of all, I did a search for "chic jeans" and that was the first pic of the second line of pics. The 8th pic to be exact.

Third of all, no matter how you dress it up, they're still jeans. Putting lipstick on pig does not make the pig beautiful.

Dude is what the voice in my head said so i typed it. :)

You have a narrow view of jeans for sure. Old fashioned view.

Pigs are frackin adorable.

Dude is what the voice in my head said so i typed it. :)

You have a narrow view of jeans for sure. Old fashioned view.

Pigs are frackin adorable.

Jeans are made of denim material. Period.

But, hey, if you want to spend about $500 on a denim suit, here's one:

ralph-lauren-1.jpg

You may want to check on that.

My understanding is they have no formal dinner dress code (and may in fact even be "casual" - gasp).

Still "the best"?

I know that they don't have a formal dress code - that's what I meant if you re read my post.

If I wanted a cruise line that hadn't got one I'd go for something better than Celebrity. We like casual - am not stuffy so please don't make assumptions. BUT on a cruise we like to just have a few very special formal nights.

Just very disappointed tonight :(:(

If they do not make steps to encourage the next generation of upper middle class cruisers and get their young families to enjoy the experience by making changes to encourage them to spend their dollars then they will go out of business as the older generation dies off or can no longer cruise due to medical conditions.

Change is going to happen, you have to be nimble and embrace it or you let it eat you alive and be all sour and resentful. Besides if not for change we would all be going to formal night in our togas with olive wreaths in our hair.

Forward on!!!

Will the 20-somethings change in their likes and dislikes as well as their bodies as they become the 50 or 60-somethings? Will the entire business world be in shorts and flip flops? Will a thanksgiving dinner consistof a 20 pound lump of tofu stuffed with lentils and humus? Will all the men's and women's clothing stores no longer carry anything more fomal than overalls and housecoats?

I think that no matter how many stuffy, stick in the mud, traditioanal old timers pass over to their rewards there will be plenty of others lined up behind them looking for something special and for some of them the experience of what is now considered today to be "traditional" of "old fashioned" just might be the ticket.

Time will tell.

bosco

Will the 20-somethings change in their likes and dislikes as well as their bodies as they become the 50 or 60-somethings? Will the entire business world be in shorts and flip flops? Will a thanksgiving dinner consistof a 20 pound lump of tofu stuffed with lentils and humus? Will all the men's and women's clothing stores no longer carry anything more fomal than overalls and housecoats?

I think that no matter how many stuffy, stick in the mud, traditioanal old timers pass over to their rewards there will be plenty of others lined up behind them looking for something special and for some of them the experience of what is now considered today to be "traditional" of "old fashioned" just might be the ticket.

Time will tell.

bosco

I'm a 50 something! And I'm at work in jeans and sneakers. And I don't want formal dining. So it's not just about age, it's about lifestyle and personal preferences. Most folks don't own formal clothes anymore and don't want to buy formal just for a cruise. Those who do, can. Have fun. There's a guy in my team who loves very expensive, modern suits. He wears them everyday, even though the rest of us are in casual clothes. We tease him, he laughs. It's all good. Do you.

Edited by Tura Lura

Time will tell.

bosco

Mr Beans,

Everyone has their own outlook on this subject as it has been a very active thread. I agree with you in the aspect as people get older their preferences and outlooks change. There is a saying that is you look at the world at 50 the same you did when you were 20 then you have wasted 30 years. I think this is generational change. I am in the early 40 range with a wife and 2 young kids. We enjoy celebrity for the elegant nature of the entire cruise. I am pretty sure no matter what I say or do the corporate wheels will keep moving. So I will keep paying to go until something else comes along that interests me more, or the family wants to do that better suits us. Either way I hope we don't have a 20 pound lump of Tofu in the main dining room on our upcoming thanksgiving cruise! I wish you well for your holiday! Cheers.:)

Edited by kbarnum

This move and subject has received cheers and jeers!! Personally, I don't mind getting dressed up with a dark business suit. BUT, when doing long, involved trips, such as last year to Australia and New Zealand, not having to pack and deal with as much "stuff" makes things easier and less costly.

In the words of Bob Dylan from 1964 . . . The Times They Are a-Changin'.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Enjoyed a 14-day, Jan. 20-Feb. 3, 2014, Celebrity Solstice Sydney to Auckland adventure, getting a big sampling for the wonders of "down under” before and after this cruise. Go to:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1974139

for more info and many pictures of these amazing sights in this great part of the world. Now at 125,903 views for this posting.

Jeans are made of denim material. Period. ...

Well, actually, that is not true. Pants made with denim probably are "jeans", but jeans may be of other fabrics as well. The defining elements are the design, not the fabric. Thus, mens' jeans have rear patch pockets, a certain shape for the front pockets, and a "watch" pocket. Less comfortable with a large wallet etc. and harder to carry much stuff in the pockets. Which is why the jeans + sport jacket combination is one which I have favored since my Ivy League college days in the 1960's. Wasn't called "chic" then, but rather "preppy." Since I never completed the look with white socks and Topsiders, nobody considered me to be an actual preppy thank goodness!

All of which makes me think that the new Celebrity "look" is country club casual for most of the time and yacht club casual on dressier occasions.

Stan

Stan