It's official! Formal nights gone, evening chic in! (3 Threads Merged)

Wj420

I cannot believe that there are 23 PAGES devoted to basically a name change! Simply substitute 'evening chic' for 'formal'. Nothing has really changed other than the fact that those dressed in Tuxs etc will no longer have reason to comment on those who are not. And let's face it, those in the truly formal group are already in the minority, at least on all of the cruises that I've been on with Celebrity.

I love seeing people in their finery, but I don't have a ball dress to my name, having never had the occasion to need one. Neither of us has ever felt out of place on formal nights. I will continue to wear my ever expanding wardrobe of 'cocktail' dresses and OH will still wear a suit and tie. I hope those who have ball dresses etc continue to wear them, but at least now, those of us who do not have such attire will no longer feel that we are being judged by those that do!!

I know that they don't have a formal dress code - that's what I meant if you re read my post.

If I wanted a cruise line that hadn't got one I'd go for something better than Celebrity. We like casual - am not stuffy so please don't make assumptions. BUT on a cruise we like to just have a few very special formal nights.

Just very disappointed tonight :(:(

We always, especially early in our cruising careers, felt that was one of the neat differences in cruising and land based trips/vacations.

The old rules WRT Formal Evening were very easy to enforce, yet X chose not to enforce them. The new rules for "Evening Chic" which includes designer jeans (and who decides/defines designer jeans) will be just about impossible to enforce. Are the dinner crew going to decide who is "Evening Chic" wearing "designer jeans", and who is flaunting the rules, and wearing anything with jeans in them?

I think the problem is that with a set "standard" people did what they want anyways with their own interpretation of formal. Now that designer jeans are permitted (would love a clarification on what exactly this means and how it will be monitored) :eek: it opens the floodgates even more for people to just do what they want with the minimum standard being set at jeans.

Guaranteed that designer jeans will be stretched out to gap, old navy, wrangler and levi and Kirkland (as someone mentioned in the other thread)

Personally, I'd prefer 5 nights of evening chic and 2 nights of formal. We sail in a few days, and that's what I'm packing. And yes, I get that I can continue to do what I want and wear what I want, as I'm sure everyone else will.

If celebrity can't monitor/enforce the current dress code, I can't even imagine what they will do with the new dress code.

Would be really nice if Celebrity Cruises would come back and post again.

How will the no formal nights cut into the $$$ brought in by the SPA's-

Hairdressers, nail fixers, etc?

Getting those appointments on formal nights used to be a big deal

and a big sales item for Celebrity.

Also--I'll bet the tux rental department is a gone entity now. Wouldn't want to have stock in one of those.

Just curious. Did you mean to say "dress" for dinner?

No.not really, I meant to say "dine" as in, make an event out of it. Spend 2 hours leisurely enjoying our meal. As oppose to 45 minutes eating and running, we dine.

Happy sailing,

Jenna

My problem is that there are different opinions as to what elegant chic is. In fact many people who have replied to this thread have said they are happy with this change but have also disagreed with other "chic-ists" as to what constitutes chic.

Now you are leaving it to the hands of the person in charge in the MDR/specialty restaurant to determine what that is.

One maitre'd's opinion will differ from another's.

In the meantime it is pretty easy to figure out what formal is. Tuxedo or suit/dress shirt and tie for men. Gown or evening dress for the ladies.

My problem is that there are different opinions as to what elegant chic is. In fact many people who have replied to this thread have said they are happy with this change but have also disagreed with other "chic-ists" as to what constitutes chic.

Now you are leaving it to the hands of the person in charge in the MDR/specialty restaurant to determine what that is.

One maitre'd's opinion will differ from another's.

In the meantime it is pretty easy to figure out what formal is. Tuxedo or suit/dress shirt and tie for men. Gown or evening dress for the ladies.

Celebrity can't/doesn't enforce formal or even smart casual, so how are they going to enforce this?

No.not really, I meant to say "dine" as in, make an event out of it. Spend 2 hours leisurely enjoying our meal. As oppose to 45 minutes eating and running, we dine.

Happy sailing,

Jenna

I remember a customer of mine asking one of my waitresses if they knew the difference between dining and eating out. She looked a little confused as to his question and I had to reply "about an hour".

The customer looked at me and nodded his head. That's one of the things about formal night I always like. It seems to move a little slower.

I'm a 50 something! And I'm at work in jeans and sneakers. And I don't want formal dining. So it's not just about age, it's about lifestyle and personal preferences. Most folks don't own formal clothes anymore and don't want to buy formal just for a cruise. Those who do, can. Have fun. There's a guy in my team who loves very expensive, modern suits. He wears them everyday, even though the rest of us are in casual clothes. We tease him, he laughs. It's all good. Do you.

You do see the completely irony in your post?:

1. First, you're are work, being paid by a corporation (presumably to be productive) and posting on cruise critic. Maybe it's the jeans that's making you less formal, and bend the rules, but my guess is, this is outside the scope of your productivity.

2. You tell someone they can wear what they want, then tease them. He may be laughing with you, but if it was me, it would sting a little on the inside as you make ME feel out of place. THAT is precisely why it would be harder to "dress to the nines" if I wanted to, and everyone else wasn't or at least, wasn't supposed to. It's not ALL good for everyone.

Happy sailing,

Jenna

You do see the completely irony in your post?:

1. First, you're are work, being paid by a corporation (presumably to be productive) and posting on cruise critic. Maybe it's the jeans that's making you less formal, and bend the rules, but my guess is, this is outside the scope of your productivity.

2. You tell someone they can wear what they want, then tease them. He may be laughing with you, but if it was me, it would sting a little on the inside as you make ME feel out of place. THAT is precisely why it would be harder to "dress to the nines" if I wanted to, and everyone else wasn't or at least, wasn't supposed to. It's not ALL good for everyone.

Happy sailing,

Jenna

I work in digital, i'm online all day. This is a slower day so yup, typing away. Still working don't you worry. Are you working? Seems it's a weekdays for most of us right? (or is everyone else retired?)

He's not stinging. He's proud and teases back. He's fabulous and he knows it.

Edited by Tura Lura

We always, especially early in our cruising careers, felt that was one of the neat differences in cruising and land based trips/vacations.

On land based holidays in hotel we always wear smart casual (no jackets for men but nice trousers and a shirt) - as is the expectation in Europe. Some wear jeans (men) but very few. I've worn simple dresses and dressy flip flops so we aren't asking for much.

I just feel that we will be dressing more 'formally' on a land based holiday than on a cruise. Very odd.

Perhaps its a UK / USA thing as a lot of US CC members seem to like the idea.

We don't however, and are disappointed. Very sad that our Celebrity days are over, but am off to research a land based holiday in Italy or wait for P&O, Cunard and Oceania (a cruise line we have fancied for a while).

I work in digital, i'm online all day. This is a slower day so yup, typing away. Still working don't you worry. Are you working? Seems it's a weekdays for most of us right? (or is everyone else retired?)

He's not stinging. He's proud and teases back. He's fabulous and he knows it.

My boss is a total bitch, but that's ok, good thing she's not your boss as she might think differently about what you do at work. I do put her in her place as I sign the checks and approve pay. Did I mention, I'm self employed and work whenever and wherever I want, including on a cruise?

Oh, and think what you want, but you don't know what he is thinking.

Happy sailing,

Jenna

My boss is a total bitch, but that's ok, good thing she's not your boss as she might think differently about what you do at work. I do put her in her place as I sign the checks and approve pay. Did I mention, I'm self employed and work whenever and wherever I want, including on a cruise?

Oh, and think what you want, but you don't know what he is thinking.

Happy sailing,

Jenna

wow you sound like a wonderful person. Glad to know that under that glamorous evening gown there's an equally lovely human.

On land based holidays in hotel we always wear smart casual (no jackets for men but nice trousers and a shirt) - as is the expectation in Europe. Some wear jeans (men) but very few. I've worn simple dresses and dressy flip flops so we aren't asking for much.

I just feel that we will be dressing more 'formally' on a land based holiday than on a cruise. Very odd.

Perhaps its a UK / USA thing as a lot of US CC members seem to like the idea.

We don't however, and are disappointed. Very sad that our Celebrity days are over, but am off to research a land based holiday in Italy or wait for P&O, Cunard and Oceania (a cruise line we have fancied for a while).

Oceania does not do formal

But passengers were dressed lovely

wow you sound like a wonderful person. Glad to know that under that glamorous evening gown there's an equally lovely human.

And I thought in NYC sarcasm was easily spotted.

Happy sailing,

Jenna

Edited by need2bespoiled

Celebrity can't/doesn't enforce formal or even smart casual, so how are they going to enforce this?

You know what I can't wait for is. Sometime in the first week someone is going to complain about how a diner was wearing something that definitely wasn't elegant chic but they didn't enforce the new standards.

The emphasis of dress code threads will shift from people who gripe about what constitutes formal into what constitutes chic.

I think on some cruises the changes will be more apparent than others.

The Eclipse ex Southampton is quite dressy, I suspect many will book and cruise being non the wiser the dress code has changed. Only a small percentage of cruisers frequent Cruise Critic

You know what I can't wait for is. Sometime in the first week someone is going to complain about how a diner was wearing something that definitely wasn't elegant chic but they didn't enforce the new standards.

The emphasis of dress code threads will shift from people who gripe about what constitutes formal into what constitutes chic.

Maybe they should institute uniforms and hand them out when checking in. That way everyone is dressed the same and no one can complain. It would also save on packing and luggage fees.

Edited by CruisingChick

Oh come on. This is not the end of the world. Non compliance can and does happen on all cruise lines. We are on a RCCL ship now and have been for the last 23 days and have seen nothing like you describe. According to your logic, this disaster should be happening on Oceania,Azamara, et al and if you've ever sailed one of the true premium lines you would know that simply is not the case.

If someone's cruise experience pivots on formal nights (and not the magic of travel, visiting new destinations, meeting diverse people and dozens of other benefits) then that type of travel is just a tad too shallow for our tastes.

Sent from my KFTHWI using Forums mobile app

I agree!! It is what it is...let's just get over it and have a great cruise!!