It's official! Formal nights gone, evening chic in! (3 Threads Merged)

Wj420

Maybe Celebrity would like to reimburse me for all the lovely formal wear I have hanging in my closet. Some of it hasn't even been worn yet. It seems that everyone except those of us who followed the code can wear what they like anywhere they like. Regardless of their ridiculous statement that we can still wear our formal wear, we all know that's not really true.

As usual, I will give them the benefit of the doubt as to how this will affect the quality of the total cruise product. I'm very fortunate to be a Zenith member who usually sails in suites, so my experience has quite a bit to offer. Hopefully it will not be just another downgrade for others. Sometimes we should be careful what we wish for.

I will still wear formal wear- my DH and I enjoy dressing up and like you, we both have formal wear because we cruise often. Dress up with your formal wear if you wish and enjoy!

Edited by Cruise a holic

Goodness me - where will this all end !

I think I will cash in my dinner jacket , wear my string vest in the MDR and book a few meals in Murano .

Are things really this bad ?

We did Murano last week on RF and our group already does "Evening chic" (well I think so anyway) - love the new concept as this is our style of cruising already

Can't wait for it to start.

12191897_10153256732048325_1672859824805317257_n.jpg?oh=27531a5da1b5c511ec9f4be0e3f30364&oe=56BE784D

My husband and I are mid 50's and we never did the long gown, tuxedo thing but I really resented on formal night when some would arrive in jeans or shorts.

The new "Chic" attire is probably what we wore though I also wore dresses and my husband always wore a jacket and tie.

It saddens me that Celebrity is "Dumbing Down" formal night based on the "Relaxed Vacationers". Yet they still get lobster!

Need I say more???!!!:(

Since when is it a requirement to dress up to eat lobster?!?!?

I live in Eastern Canada, which is home to some of the best lobster in the world. Hardly anyone dresses up around here to eat lobster.

I live in Eastern Canada, which is home to some of the best lobster in the world. Hardly anyone dresses up around here to eat lobster.

This is true and I live in New England and most people wear bibs when they eat lobster.

So you would be fine if a group dressed in wife beaters like Mangiacavallo in the film "The Rose Tattoo" sat next to you each night??

Just wondering.

I wouldn't dress that way, but what they do doesn't concern me in the slightest...it's called FREEDOM!

I might make a comment or two to my DH but they wouldn't affect me further at all...........

And besides that.....the worst dress I've ever witnessed in the MDR were dressy looking bermuda shorts with a golf shirt....I have no problem with that. With over 20 cruises, I have never seen a beater shirt on anybody, except in the Windjammer/Oceanview. I have too much fun to accomplish in 7 days with my peeps to worry about what someone else is doing on a cruise.:D

Edited by BecciBoo

Also the lobster served on Celebrity was never the great Maine or Canadian Lobster. It was always second tier rock lobster from South Africa or similar origin.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

And what's wrong with a golf shirt and Bermuda shorts in MDR. It's not like that's a special dining room any longer.

I wouldn't dress that way, but what they do doesn't concern me in the slightest...it's called FREEDOM!

I might make a comment or two to my DH but they wouldn't affect me further at all...........

And besides that.....the worst dress I've ever witnessed in the MDR were dressy looking bermuda shorts with a golf shirt....I have no problem with that. With over 20 cruises, I have never seen a beater shirt on anybody, except in the Windjammer. I have too much fun to accomplish in 7 days with my peeps to worry about what someone else is doing on a cruise.:D

Goodness me - where will this all end !

May I suggest a minutes silence for the passing of the Celebrity Lobster ?

I think I will cash in my dinner jacket , wear my string vest in the MDR and book a few meals in Murano .

Are things really this bad ?

It's not only Celebrity. The lobster on Princess is the same. The prawns on Princess were actually better. To be honest I don't think the food on Celebrity is all that great anyway. Preparation is very inconsistent. If my main priority for cruising was the food I wouldn't book Celebrity. I have only sailed on X once so maybe it was just off on that sailing. I will be back on the same ship in May so I hope my dining experience will be better.

Within a year.

Traditional Dining will be the next to go, mark my words!

I agree. This new "Evening Chic" dress code is the first step in the process. They have already weened 3/4 of the passengers away from traditional dining with Select, Blu, Luminae, specialty restaurants and buffets. Also I have been reading on some threads that traditional dining is waitlisted at the opening of the itinerary. If that's not a sign I don't know what is. They probably aren't booking traditional because it won't exist by the time of the sailing.

Edited by Iamcruzin

Uh. I have been cruising on Celebrity since December 1997 and jackets were not required at every dinner. Only the two formal evenings.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Not quite correct. There were three levels of dress, Smart Casual, Semi-Formal and Formal (wording may have been slightly different) as late as early to mid-2000s, where jackets were required for SF & F.

I'm a fan of formal nights, and I am someone under 40 and wear a shirt+tie every day to work. [emoji4]

Regardless, this isn't a deal breaker for me. I just think that there is going to be very little difference between smart casual and elegant chic nights. One allows jeans, the other says designer jeans. One says to wear a casual top, the other says an elegant top. These are pretty much subjective opinions, which means that even if it was enforceable, there's no way Celebrity would bother. There is no way anyone will tell a guest "Oh I'm sorry, your top is not elegant enough to eat in the MDR", unless it has rips or visible stains.

Elegant chic night says a sport coat is optional for men, which is the same as saying "don't wear a sport coat" for 90% of people.

Celebrity tries to placate the formal night fans by mentioning that they should still dress up if they want, but I have a feeling that those that do will stick out like a sore thumb. They'll eventually tire of being the oddballs and either stop dressing up, or cruise on another line. Celebrity probably sees this as the smoothest path to get their dress code to where the other lines are going with.

Obviously the majority of passengers prefer casual to formal. Maybe celebrity should consider making the MDR all casual, and reserving a smaller restaurant for those that choose formal. The dress code could be more strictly enforced, since it would be opt-in. It might have a certain mystique of exclusivity if for 2 nights people notice a handful of guests dressed up and going to a separate dining room.

Not quite correct. There were three levels of dress, Smart Casual, Semi-Formal and Formal (wording may have been slightly different) as late as early to mid-2000s, where jackets were required for SF & F.

I am fairly positive that was either in effect or had just been dropped by our first cruise with X in 2005. I remember researching that DH would need a jacket as well as his tux.

I'm a fan of formal nights, and I am someone under 40 and wear a shirt+tie every day to work. [emoji4]

Regardless, this isn't a deal breaker for me. I just think that there is going to be very little difference between smart casual and elegant chic nights. One allows jeans, the other says designer jeans. One says to wear a casual top, the other says an elegant top. These are pretty much subjective opinions, which means that even if it was enforceable, there's no way Celebrity would bother. There is no way anyone will tell a guest "Oh I'm sorry, your top is not elegant enough to eat in the MDR", unless it has rips or visible stains.

Elegant chic night says a sport coat is optional for men, which is the same as saying "don't wear a sport coat" for 90% of people.

Celebrity tries to placate the formal night fans by mentioning that they should still dress up if they want, but I have a feeling that those that do will stick out like a sore thumb. They'll eventually tire of being the oddballs and either stop dressing up, or cruise on another line. Celebrity probably sees this as the smoothest path to get their dress code to where the other lines are going with.

Obviously the majority of passengers prefer casual to formal. Maybe celebrity should consider making the MDR all casual, and reserving a smaller restaurant for those that choose formal. The dress code could be more strictly enforced, since it would be opt-in. It might have a certain mystique of exclusivity if for 2 nights people notice a handful of guests dressed up and going to a separate dining room.

Hm, I may reconsider renting that tux now. I like being different, not going with the crowd, sticking out like a sore thumb, being that "oddball". Whenever something I like to wear comes into fashion and is highly popular to the point that the majority of people are now wearing it, it bristles me.

Being unique and an individual is fun; trying to fit in and be/dress like others is boring.

IMO, of course.

The majority of passengers prefer casual to formal? Visit Celebrity's Facebook page. In contrast to Cruise Critic, the majority of people commenting on X's Facebook page are against "elegant chic" replacing Formal Nights.

The majority of passengers prefer casual to formal? Visit Celebrity's Facebook page. In contrast to Cruise Critic, the majority of people commenting on X's Facebook page are against "elegant chic" replacing Formal Nights.

I don't have anything substantial to back me up, but I'd be willing to bet that the people commenting in favor of formal nights are probably a vocal minority (both here and on Facebook). I'm sure the management at celebrity did market research before making this change. Not that the corporate types can't get it wrong - just look at the New Coke fiasco in the 1980s [emoji4].

The ones in favor don't bother looking or posting.

Yes, I recalled later that there was also what was called an Informal evenings on Celebrity where jackets were supposed to be worn, but that was not usually enforced by mid 2000s. And by mid-2000s even if the documents said there were the three, the Informal evening often disapeeared from the Dailiys. Actually the three dress codes were Casual, Informal and Formal. Jackets were not required every night. Informal was turned into Smart Casual in the mid-2000s.

Edited by Charles4515

I don't have anything substantial to back me up, but I'd be willing to bet that the people commenting in favor of formal nights are probably a vocal minority (both here and on Facebook). I'm sure the management at celebrity did market research before making this change. Not that the corporate types can't get it wrong - just look at the New Coke fiasco in the 1980s [emoji4].

I am sure they did market research but also they know what was actually happening onboard. I have been on many sailings the last few years and passengers have already been dressing like the new standard.