What are the "little things" the accountants think we'll never miss when they're gone

Shoalwater

It's funny what some people feel is important compared to others.

Eucalyptus shampoo, hated the stuff always bring my own. Shows, I could care less. Tissues, I'm a handkerchief guy. TV guide, Hey I'm on vacation to escape from things like TV. A Priest, I bring my Bible.

I do really miss the sommelier. To me talking with the sommelier and getting advice on wine pairing is a important part of fine dinning.

Won't stop me from cruising Princess.

Princess bring back the PRINTED TV GUIDE:(

It is really inconsistent and varies by ship. In February on the Emerald we didn't have one and on the Star in August, we did get one. But even better was the Royal with On Demand TV. That blows away all other options and makes the printed TV guide unnecessary. Hope they roll out on demand fleet-wide soon.

As for the rest of what has changed, they all seem small to us. We love cruising and there's still enough provided on Princess cruises to make us happy.

This argument could be applied to virtually every good and service on the ship. Those who never go to the stage shows are subsidizing those who do. Why not charge passengers $2 a head at the door of the theater? Pay to play. I am not Elite. But a portion of my fare goes toward paying for their bennies like free laundry and the food at their cocktail parties. So perhaps Elites should fund their own soirees. Those who do not eat lobster are helping to pay for the lobster tails consumed by others. Why not assess a $3 surcharge on those who order lobster? And on and on. Not every person avails themselves of every good or service on the ship. And in some instances like Elite benefits, the majority of passengers are actually forbidden from partaking. Yet we all pay. I find it difficult (and overly contentious) to put religion in its own pay-to-play category.

I agree with every one of your points.

The priest is performing a service for his room and board, just as the dancers who hold dance classes and lecturers giving enrichment talks, etc, perform a service for their room and board

Because the poster does not want to partake in the religious services, that is his right, but don't begrudge those to whom it is important, the privilege of doing so. Additionally, I would bet most objecting to the Catholic mass, have no idea how this differs from a non-denominational service.

We have been on Christmas cruises for the last 5 years. We go to midnight mass . It is always full and many many of the people there are the crew. Don't you think it is nice for them to be able to attend worship on the holidays? It isn't like this priest is there and no one is attending.

We were on a cruise on Easter Sunday a few years back. The Catholic mass was attended by passengers and crew alike and it was standing room only!

I'm surprised no one has caught yet that Princess' accountants are in Santa Clarita, not Santa Clara. Don't blame NorCal for what goes on in LaLa Land. :D

But the corporate accountants are not to blame for shipboard policies--it is the members of the applicable department on board (hotel, F&B, entertainment) that decide how their budget is best applied. Take the souvenir wine glasses which everyone seems to hold so dear: with the number of Elites growing, thus a smaller and smaller percentage of passengers who attend actually paying the $9.50 for the wine tasting, a way has to be found to either shrink the cost to keep it roughly equal to the revenue or allocate funds for it from another part of the dining budget. (It seems like a lot of Elites would be happy if Princess skipped the actual wine tasting and just sent the glass to their cabins).

And I'm sorry but it is quite unreasonable for the OP to ask for "no value judgments" and then proffer religion as a topic. So here's mine: the free-cabins-for-clergy is a SCAM that has long run its course and should have been stopped years ago. When HAL tried to put an end to it they found themselves subject to a smear campaign from the giant tax-free political machine known as the Roman Catholic Church. And that's a fact, not a judgement (meaning the smear campaign). So they kowtowed and reinstated the priests.

Princess now has a clear policy to not tacitly endorse one denomination over another by remaining clergy free (thank God :rolleyes:). And while the bean counters in Santa Clarita are probably applauding, this is one cut for which they previously sat on their hands too long. One less freebie cabin taken out of revenue service should keep them from shrinking or eliminating such essential services as the chocolate on our pillows every night. (Read the threads from the lines where that has occurred--talk about a bloodbath...)

Santa Clarita is actually in northern Los Angeles County.....:D:D:D

Bob

Edited by Woobstr112G

I imagine that the accountants have noticed that we've noticed that those little niceties are gone but they're not going to come back-because they were niceties.

They've gone and saved some money. The pillow chocolates should be next.

3500 chocks on the Regal X 10 cents =$350 a night X 365...what's that $127,750 a year on just the Regal? If you think the chocs are worth 1 cent then divide by 10.

I gave two towels to the room steward when I boarded the Emerald recently.

Threads hanging off them and the light showing through. That bothered me in that the laundry should have tossed them into the "Engineer's rags" bin.

A towel is not a nicety.

The Somelier is something I haven't seen on Princess and I have been sailing since August 2011. I had waiters on the Emerald who had a hard time telling a bottle of red from a bottle of white-and I'd already paid for them. A Somelier pays his keep by making suggestions and focusing just on the wine. How many would they need per ship? 3 dining rooms so 6 to 9 of those. So they have to be saving a lot of money by not paying 18 ships X 6-9 people...108 to 162 staff positions eliminated.

You'll still sail if there are no mints and no somelier and no florist man-and the accountants figure that.

I can live without any of the niceties that have been mentioned so far-some I didn't even know had existed.

I want a clean ship that sails on time and gets me to where it says on the ticket.

I want a dining room crew that acts like they didn't step on a rake before their shift

I want officers that do their job and get the best from their crew

I want hotel quality towels and bedding

I want bars that stay open until their closing time

I want no mail from the Lotus Spa in my mailbox-ever.

I want Princess to stop making dumb mistakes (like the charging for room service nonsense) and then having to retract. Those kind of things don't give me the warm fuzzies. Houston was another blunder.

I want to order a rum and coke and not get a coke with a hint of rum

I want the chair hog rules enforced, the MDR dress code on Formal Nights enforced (or done away with.)

I want real champagne used in the waterfall (who are we kidding?)

I want the promotion of Diamonds International during port talks to cease-tonight

I want the Tiger head paintings removed from the art gallery and their potential buyers interviewed by a team of psychiatrists/art lovers

I want the Princess theater to have drinks tables on the armrests again

I want Neville Saldanha to teach all the other Maitre 'ds

I want Dino Sagani to be cloned

I want the Diamond or Sapphire back here by tomorrow morning

That's my list as it stands right now...

In other news, Shogun (Steve) a loyalist to PCL is missing the wow factor and a lot of people are saying the same. I think Princess is a very good cruise line and have no major complaints (except the above) and will continue to cruise with them.

However I am sailing X in less than 70 days and hope to add another line just for the sake of variety.

I'll let you know how that pans out in late January. If there are no pillow mints-I'll know we're doomed.

Norris

Well said sir.....:):):)

Bob

Hotel quality towels on Princess? Surely you jest :(. On our recent (last week) Regal cruise our towels were certainly Hotel Quality....but only if you go to Econo Lodge or a Days Inn. And the standard Princess robes seem to be shrinking. I am pretty thin and can wear those robes, but an awful lot of Princess cruisers must need "robe extensions" or a larger size :).

Hank

Edited by Hlitner

This is a minor thing, but when I first started cruising with my family the kids were only 3 and 6. At around 5pm they had kids dinner, which was usually plain old sandwiches or mac and cheese. It was held in the MDR just for children and it was great. One of us could be with the kids while they ate and the other one could get ready for the evening ahead. Then we were able to drop the kids off at kids club and enjoy our night. Mind you that was also in the days when kids club didn't open for the first night and now it does, so there's swings and roundabouts. I also miss the wine waiter.

Trish

P.S The kids are now 15 and 18 so we barely see them on the cruise now!!!

Going on our first Christmas cruise and wondering where do they hold the Midnight Mass? Thanks.
Midnight Mass for Christmas pretty much fills the Princess Theater. The Christmas morning Mass was a little over half filled in the same venue.

My wife and I once led the music for the Midnight and Christmas morning Masses while on a cruise, and being on stage by the altar, we could see the theater population which contained both crew and passengers.

The priest also conducted Protestant services on Sundays and had a separate Christmas early morning Mass in the crew area. The Cruise Director onboard had been seminary trained in the Church of England, and conducted a midnight service for other Christians while Mass was in progress, using the Fusion Lounge.

And maybe that's the answer to those wondering why Princess would supply a Catholic priest for the major feasts of the church year: Christmas and Easter.

There is a significant population aboard for which the Mass or the Christian service at these times makes the cruise more meaningful, as these are the feasts of life - birth and resurrection.

Christmas, especially, is a family event, and brings in additional revenue due to families cruising. Church services are part of the tradition (and meaning), without which fewer families would sail, or pay extra for a holiday cruise. Having clergy aboard is simply good business for the cruise lines.

Working with the priest for Christmas we found he celebrated Mass twice daily (one for crew, once for passengers), three Masses on Christmas, and extra non-denominational services on Sundays. That was at least 23 services for a 10 day cruise.

Personally, we found cruising at Christmas to be fun, when we could get away from our choir obligations at home. Having cruised the week before Easter, we found the season to have a more somber mood (with liturgies containing the stories of the Crucifixion), and conflicted with the fun of cruising for us. We've decided this didn't work. Since then I've noticed a great many low cost sailings around Easter, possibly reflective of the lower attendance during this season. So here, with us at least, is a case where our religious convictions conflict with cruising - so we don't cruise at that time.

I hope that answers some questions without being preachy.

I think this thread should get back to your original intent - what are the things missing that used to enhance our cruise experience.

Please note before reading that we love Princess Cruises and plan to be back.

• Steel drum and island bands on deck playing throughout the day in the Caribbean
  • Deck party (not present on most of the cruises we've taken in past years
  • More than 3 bands onboard - covering a variety of dance and listening styles
  • Remember the Sun Princess class ships' Disco for the young and boisterous?
  • Really live bands - not two people with a synthesizer instead of musicians
  • ANY non-denominational church service on Sundays (missing from most of our recent years' cruises).
  • Shampoo WITHOUT conditioner. The eucalyptus stuff worked for me.
  • Chocolate covered strawberries (the only decent choice on the Elite hors d'vours (sp?) menu)
  • 9 hole mini-golf course
  • sheets and blankets. (duvet is just too hot)
  • decent size libraries
  • sport court reachable via elevator
  • Our first mini-suite experience on Princess had a steward and a butler.
  • Printed TV guide
  • Princess Patter the first day giving all the shows and movies for the whole cruise, and when they will be.

That said, we'll be back.

I will be going on my first cruise with Princess and I take it there are no top sheets? Will they supply one if you ask?

Also on the Ruby is there any live bands?

I will be going on my first cruise with Princess and I take it there are no top sheets? Will they supply one if you ask?

Also on the Ruby is there any live bands? -- Yes

Instead of a top sheet, they have a duvet.

If you want a top sheet, just ask your cabin steward.

Gradually many small touches which made Princess special have disappeared. A number of thse have been mentioned in this thread.

Once all the things that make Princess special are gone, then there is no reason to make Princess the first choice for a cruise.

Some of the items that have not been mentioned yet but have disappeared:

o A welcoming cookie in your cabin on embarkation day

o Crepes made and served at the party with the Champagne fountain

o The Lady Godiva chocolate with the Seawitch emblem that used to be on the Love Boat Dream dessert

o Sesame seeds on bread sticks in the dining room

o Traditional Baked Alaska. What has been served recently is a slice from a sheet cake.

Gradually many small touches which made Princess special have disappeared. A number of thse have been mentioned in this thread.

Once all the things that make Princess special are gone, then there is no reason to make Princess the first choice for a cruise.

o The Lady Godiva chocolate with the Seawitch emblem that used to be on the Love Boat Dream dessert

o Traditional Baked Alaska. What has been served recently is a slice from a sheet cake.

With so many diabetics on board including myself - who are very poorly catered to by Princess - better on Carnival - I can't say I miss them, having never been able to partake when they were available.

Sound delicious though!

Just remembered the pasta that was prepared in the dining room as an optional course. The baked Alaska was a favourite too ... Paraded with the chefs with flames leaping from the top. ... Now you've started something ... Cherries jubilee prepared in the restaurant too and flambéed. Now it's down to all the speciality restaurants to provide the special touches .. At a price!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Agreed. I know comments about food are subjective, but this stuff is truly terrible.....:(:(:(

Bob

Edited by Woobstr112G

Thank you for your reply.....looking forward to the Midnight Mass.

The only way there will be a mass at Christmas is IF there is a priest on board sailing as a paying passenger and IF he volunteers to say one. And yes, as others have said we have sailed several Christmas', and when mass was at midnight in the theater (not always) the venue was filled with passengers and crew, especially cabin stewards and wait staff who are off duty and generally tend to come from countries with a high Catholic population.

With so many diabetics on board including myself - who are very poorly catered to by Princess - better on Carnival - I can't say I miss them, having never been able to partake when they were available.

Sound delicious though!

I agree with you there. But it's still easy to eat on the cruise line being a diabetic. One has to have a strong will not to reach for the high carb stuff. I think it will always be that way. It's expensive to live on a diabetic diet. Basically meat and vegetables, and cruise lines are into cheap food like potatoes, rice, bread, and sugary desserts. Some of the "sugar-free" stuff is worse than the real thing. Keep moving and take the stairs. Burn the carbs.

I agree with you there. But it's still easy to eat on the cruise line being a diabetic. One has to have a strong will not to reach for the high carb stuff. I think it will always be that way. It's expensive to live on a diabetic diet. Basically meat and vegetables, and cruise lines are into cheap food like potatoes, rice, bread, and sugary desserts. Some of the "sugar-free" stuff is worse than the real thing. Keep moving and take the stairs. Burn the carbs.

The solutions always seem so easy to other people's problems - I'd like to take the stairs but a damaged tendon in my left knee and arthritis in the right ankle due to an old fracture resulting in bone to bone contact don't let me do it.

Carnival have some decent alternatives in the buffet out on the line for diabetics, like sugar free jelly etc. Princess don't.

And yet Princess have an older demographic than Carnival, and consequently a higher percentage of type 2 diabetics on board.

They say its "available" but its not easily available and I have given up asking for it as it takes them so long to find it that breakfast is over if and when they do find it.

Like a low fat alternative to butter - where is that on Princess?

Just remembered the pasta that was prepared in the dining room as an optional course. The baked Alaska was a favourite too ... Paraded with the chefs with flames leaping from the top. ... Now you've started something ... Cherries jubilee prepared in the restaurant too and flambéed. Now it's down to all the speciality restaurants to provide the special touches .. At a price!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

The last cruise I was on, one month ago we had the pasta prepared in the dining room as an extra course, (when I walk in and see the waiters in their stripe shirts I know it will be available

) the parade of the Baked Alaska and twirling napkins we had and this was in a traditional dining room. No extra charge just plenty of smiles.

Easier to do if eating in the Horizon Court. Husband and I took a 15 day cruise with intentions of maintaining our No-Carb (very low carb) diet and found the HC had a wide-range of choices of meat and veggies. Not having to sit at a table with a bread basket in front of you and table mates who always want dessert made it quite easy. We even lost weight on that cruise.

One more thing to mention

Get rid of the all day MUTS and in warm weather go back to the live deck bands.

I like watching MUTS during the day. Unless you're on the Royal/Regal, you're able to pick the pool that has the band playing in the afternoon. I dont see the issue here.