What are the "must do" foods?

On the Serenade last summer we LOVED the bread pudding. No raisins, just a bit of caramel like flavor. They had it in WJ for several more days and with a little soft serve on top... Yum! Also ate too many of the coconut cookies.

Most things that were related to cheesecake seemed to be closer to gelatin and were yukky. Needless to say, we never went hungry and were always happy eating food that someone else prepared and cleaned up.

My personal favorites:

MDR:

Chilled soups (My mom ordered two soups when she could not decide ;) The red one is chilled. I think the other was the garlic soup... not sure):

DSCN0294_zpszduhzetb.jpeg

Chicken Marsala

DSCN8225_zpsdf6d9ef0.jpeg

Artichoke Crepes

DSCN7999_zps98518454.jpeg

Mushroom soup (I ordered it as a main dish)

DSCN1186_zpslujxpxq1.jpeg

Strawberry-Kiwi Pavlova (I think that is the name)

DSCN0696_zpsmpbuosrx.jpeg

Park Cafe:

Any of their daily soups. My routine was to ask for the "roll only" of the roast beef (Kümmelweck) sandwich, get butter from the salad bar, and a bowl of soup. I inherited my mom's love for soups and German bread rolls.

DSCN9857_zpsyxja5phy.jpeg

I found some of the best desserts here too:

DSCN9856_zpsnsf6oqgt.jpeg

On the way out, grab a bag of chips for a late night snack ;)

Promenade Cafe:

Muffaletta sandwiches (add mayo)

DSCN8838_zpsdc66dae3.jpeg

Coconut Ranger cookies (Not pictured here, but served off and on from these containers)

DSCN7416_zps1b75d9c1.jpeg

Cheesecake lollipops were hit or miss. Sometimes they were the perfect cheesecake consistency. Other times they were more like a "jello" cheesecake consistency:

DSCN7415_zpsca00c48d.jpeg

Something so simple we modify.

We enjoy the roast beef sandwiches but before we order we go to the salad area ask for some cheeses and when we get our roast beef sandwiches add the cheese to them........................

All's I can say is makes the "good---better"

Love them.

Cannot wait till we sail her again in August.

Enjoy we do.

On Embarkation day in the WJ they have paella, and it is something I look forward to. I know many people avoid going to lunch in the WJ on Embarkation day, but since the paella is only available that day....it is our first stop and gets our cruises off right.

After that my favorite desserts are their chocolate chip cookies (which I tell my waiter on the first night of a cruise that I will ask for each evening as dessert) and not the sugar free chocolate chip cookies. Generally in the Cafe either on the Promenade or in Lattitudes (on smaller ships) they will have cheesecake lollipops -- wonderful and habit forming. The reason I ask for the chocolate chip cookies at dinner, is they are very hard to find around the ship. Sometimes you find them in WJ (many time they have the sugar free ones, which I don't like) or in the cafe....but to guarantee I have them I ask for them as dessert with dinner.

The cheesecake pops look great....a "small" treat when you feel like something sweet.

Good to know you can just request something, even if its not on the menu that night.

My one quibble with the cheesecake pops is the nasty wooden stick. It leaves a taste in the pop to me. (I don't use wooden coffee stirrers either for the same reason.) There are things that can be used in cake pops that are not wood - I wish they'd use those instead.

Then again, the wood taste does cut down on my consumption of them - because when I get them, I eat around the part that's been close to the wood, so I'm not eating the full thing anyway.

My one quibble with the cheesecake pops is the nasty wooden stick. It leaves a taste in the pop to me. (I don't use wooden coffee stirrers either for the same reason.) There are things that can be used in cake pops that are not wood - I wish they'd use those instead.

Then again, the wood taste does cut down on my consumption of them - because when I get them, I eat around the part that's been close to the wood, so I'm not eating the full thing anyway.

Thanks for the warning. :)

I have a lot of favorite food that I look forward to when cruising with royal #loyaltoroyal girl ....Chops Grill is a must for us the filet mignon is the best. In the MDR I love the shrimp ravioli, crab cakes , shrimp n white rice,chicken Marsala, n salmon, for deserts the cheesecake n chocolate sensation usually so full after dinner that skip desert , The Brazilian grill is great they should have it in all ships go on n empty stomach..last time I went on allure they had Rita's cantina which was awesome but I've been hearing is not there and they have Sabor both Mexican restaurants n a must have table side guacamole in sabor is awesome ...in the wj on boarding day they have this rice paella I can't wait to boarding day Dec. 6 liberty for me anyways it is awesome ...been on a low carb diet n have cut out rice being Hispanic is hard for me but once in that cruise I am indulging with the rice , Park Cafe roast beef sandwiches 👌 are awesome... Go on you tube n look for rc MDR food they have so many great videos.. Also look for MDR menus in cc I like to look at the menu before going on a cruise this is my 12 cruise n I still do it ...this is just me gets me excited to go eat hope this helps☺☺

Definitely the egg bar in the Windjammer in the morning (eggs made on the spot just the way you want); the fruit brioche bread with sugar on top (I wish I could take a loaf of that off the ship the last day it's so good). On our cruise in September we ate dinners in the dining room again (we chose MTD) for the first time in 7 cruises. We couldn't believe how much better the food was there than the Windjammer. The chilled fruit soups were DELICIOUS; all the entrées were exceptional; and the desserts (especially the carrot cake and the key lime pie) were not to be missed.

Escargot. It's a favorite of my Grandson's also. He's about to turn 22 and been cruising since he was 3. He was so excited when the escargot became available every night. He's tried the escargot in several restaurants but still likes theirs best. I LOVE the Chicken Marsala. My daughters and I never miss the Tutti Salad days in the MDR for lunch. Tiger Shrimp, Chocolate Sensation, the savory bites are addictive. I keep asking for "a couple more, please." The paella in the Windjammer (only on the day you embark) is WONDERFUL. I've never ordered two entrees, but I've ordered two appetizers on plenty of nights in the MDR. My Grandson swears by the duck..just not my cup of tea. He anxiously awaits the night they serve duck. He loves the food and now carries a friend along, but he tells them before the cruise that they will be joining us for dinner in the MDR. Even his friends, some who are picky eaters found plenty of foods they loved. One of his friends fell in love with the Indian dishes. I just saw that there is the rumor they are changing the menus and I don't know whether I'm pleased or disappointed. I was crushed when they took the Vidalia Tart off the menu. :(

All of the food is fantastic.

But I DO know what to AVOID. If it's still there....avoid the sea bass and polenta. Whatever polenta is, it's disgusting. The sea bass had no flavor whatsoever. Might have been boiled. Pretty nasty stuff - avoid that!

Unless you like warm cheesecake, skip the cheesecake pops (and also the strawberry cheesecake)! As far as desserts go, you can't go wrong with the cookies! The coconut ones are really good. Also liked the Willy Wonka pie which is sort of like a toffee pie with granola on top.

For MDR dinners, I recommend the duck, the tiger shrimp, and the lobster (all appear on different nights). Also, on sea days, the MDR is open for lunch and I highly suggest going. I just had the Tutti Salad bar (which is good) but the people said that the food they ordered off the lunch menu was the best they'd had all cruise.

In the Windjammer, try the paella, the vegetable biryani, and the Indonesian chicken when you see them.

My vote goes to the "raisin bread" (very similar to Jewish Challah) at breakfast...so good with butter. I think that Royal does a really good job with almost all their bread and rolls. Savory bites(small poppyseed rolls) at dinner are really good unless they are really small and then can be a bit hard, but still tasty. I love bread and IMO Royal has some pretty good ones! :)

Eggs benedict in the main dining room for breakfast was great.

Anyone remember about Honey-stung chicken, that was good. They used to have them at the Windjammer, but for last several cruises, I haven't seen it. I wonder why they don't make it anymore. I thought many people like that one.

Edited by StrikeEagle