Does the situation in Europe affect your future travel?

norwegianwood57

In answer to the OPs actual question (instead of going off in other directions) the current situation would not effect us one iota! DW and I are lifelong travelers who sometimes spend up to 7 months a year out of the country. Stuff happens all the time, it could happen anywhere, and we refuse to be intimidated. However, we do have some concerns that additional security will make traveling more of a hassle....but one must just smile and go with the flow.

Hank

I think most people see a huge difference between the ordinary risks of everyday modern life-car accidents, train derailments, even the danger of crossing the street-and those caused by terrorist activity.

That's irrelevant as the end result is still the same. If you don't travel and see the world, do you think there is more chance that you will live longer in the confines of your house? No certainty in life except death and taxes ;). You can reduce the risks, but they are always still there. Sailing on a ship in the middle of the ocean is a risk in itself ;).

In answer to the OPs actual question (instead of going off in other directions) the current situation would not effect us one iota! DW and I are lifelong travelers who sometimes spend up to 7 months a year out of the country. Stuff happens all the time, it could happen anywhere, and we refuse to be intimidated. However, we do have some concerns that additional security will make traveling more of a hassle....but one must just smile and go with the flow.

Hank

In total agreement with you. I have plans to go to Paris, Istanbul and Israel next year.

We have a Celebrity cruise booked for July next year. We have already changed from our original plans which was to cruise the Mediterranean. When things started getting more uncertain with the migrant crisis and the Greek economic crisis we decided to book a Baltic cruise instead.

Our cruise is a long way off so I'm refusing to indulge in a knee jerk reaction. Things would have to get a lot worse before it affects our future travel.

I live in New York and after experiencing the effects of 9-11 I wouldn't cancel a vacation due to terrorism. I still think we are a prime target so any place away from here would probably be safer. The only thing that would cause me to cancel is if the itinerary changed or the security was so tight that it would hinder my vacation experience.

The question asked in the title of this thread brings out all the "stiff upper lip" reactions many have expressed. I think realistically, few would put themselves in harms way if given options. We are fearless travelers but we avoid areas with known problems...or flare ups of violence. Why take unnecessary risks when there are so many wonderful places to visit. Yes, there will be a time in the future to visit the wonders of Egypt safely and similarly it may be a good time to avoid France until things settle down.

We went to a wedding almost across the street from the white house the second weekend after 9/11. Didn't feel all that secure even though I could see the snipers on the roof, etc. If it hadn't been for a close friends kids, we wouldn't have gone.

So the answer is yes, we are avoiding the middle east, Turkey and France for now. I realize that everywhere has it's share of problems, but I think it's prudent to avoid taking extra risks.

I'm probably in the minority by admitting this publicly ....but likely I'm in the majority of folks who are sitting at home considering where to visit on vacation.

Now is probably the safest time to travel in France security is high alert. The only problem is the fact that security is so tight it may hinder your overall experience at tourist attractions. I never felt safer traveling to Manhattan until after 9-11.

We have a Celebrity cruise booked for July next year. We have already changed from our original plans which was to cruise the Mediterranean. When things started getting more uncertain with the migrant crisis and the Greek economic crisis we decided to book a Baltic cruise instead.

Our cruise is a long way off so I'm refusing to indulge in a knee jerk reaction. Things would have to get a lot worse before it affects our future travel.

I feel the same, though I've yet to change an itinerary due to what I read or hear on the news, only because of travel advisories.

Just a quick comment on the migrant crisis and Greek economic crisis.... I just returned from a Celebrity cruise which included 6 Greek ports as well as a stop in Turkey. (yes, the Israeli one !)

We saw a grand total of 3 migrant families (in Turkey, none in Greece)

The biggest problem the Greek economic crisis gave us was the resistance to accept credit cards. "the machine is broken" and " do you have cash ?" became the norm. We caught on quickly though and asked beforehand if they took credit cards. It was amazing how fast the machine got fixed when a sale was in peril.

Yes indeed.

All future travel has been suspended in our household. A significant amount of $ is being withdrawn from the hospitality industry.

It is not just the Paris attacks - it is a combination of multiple impacts - rapidly rising costs, rapidly declining product and service, increasing hassal of air travel, inevitable increase in border security, increasing hospitality taxes, overall complexity of moving around, eating etc, continued low interest rates and market returns which eliminate or reduce investment income. Finally is the impact of the low Cdn $.

Our household's cost benefit analysis is such that the benefits of travel are no longer greater than the costs. For us this context is not likely to change as the ISIS and similar organizations are likely to continue to destablize the world.

Given the internet, travel videos, books etc - we will be able to see all places in the world we desire from the comfort of our home. This approach is not as good as being there, but it mostly certainly will do given the context today.

We have challenged ourselves to not blindly continue with the status quo of world travel - but to question the value of the status quo. This is not what the corporate world wants any of us to do - ie to stop being "obedient consumers"! At some point consumption is not worth it.

For those who continue to travel, blessings and safe travel.

ABoatNerd

Sorry people, but this kind of post really winds me up!

Of course the events of last Friday and other previous atrocities perpetrated in the name some sick and twisted ideology is horrific and difficult for us normal human beings to comprehend.

However, you really do need to get some perspective. Europe is a very large and generally safe place. We were in Paris a few weeks after the previous atrocity. Did we think of cancelling/ certainly not!

We were in New York a few months after 9/11. We flew over for the weekend for a family wedding. Did we consider cancelling? certainly not. In fact, what we couldn't get over was how the Americans "battened down the hatches" and had stopped travelling WITHIN THE US, NEVER MIND OUTSIDE! We also couldn't get over the people who thanked us for having the courage to travel............really!!!!!!

Get a grip! Whilst you don't deliberately travel to a war zone, you can't allow these animals to stop you getting on with your lives.

"Europe" is a great place to visit. I'm sure there's far more gun crime on a daily basis in the US than anywhere in Europe.

Sorry, if anyone is offended by my observations. I'm British, so we have a different way of thinking when it comes to these things!

Yes indeed.

All future travel has been suspended in our household. A significant amount of $ is being withdrawn from the hospitality industry.

It is not just the Paris attacks - it is a combination of multiple impacts - rapidly rising costs, rapidly declining product and service, increasing hassal of air travel, inevitable increase in border security, increasing hospitality taxes, overall complexity of moving around, eating etc, continued low interest rates and market returns which eliminate or reduce investment income. Finally is the impact of the low Cdn $.

Our household's cost benefit analysis is such that the benefits of travel are no longer greater than the costs. For us this context is not likely to change as the ISIS and similar organizations are likely to continue to destablize the world.

Given the internet, travel videos, books etc - we will be able to see all places in the world we desire from the comfort of our home. This approach is not as good as being there, but it mostly certainly will do given the context today.

We have challenged ourselves to not blindly continue with the status quo of world travel - but to question the value of the status quo. This is not what the corporate world wants any of us to do - ie to stop being "obedient consumers"! At some point consumption is not worth it.

For those who continue to travel, blessings and safe travel.

ABoatNerd

Understood completely. Canadians are having to add about 35% for the privilege of cruising Europe.

Of course the events of last Friday and other previous atrocities perpetrated in the name some sick and twisted ideology is horrific and difficult for us normal human beings to comprehend.

However, you really do need to get some perspective. Europe is a very large and generally safe place. We were in Paris a few weeks after the previous atrocity. Did we think of cancelling/ certainly not!

We were in New York a few months after 9/11. We flew over for the weekend for a family wedding. Did we consider cancelling? certainly not. In fact, what we couldn't get over was how the Americans "battened down the hatches" and had stopped travelling WITHIN THE US, NEVER MIND OUTSIDE! We also couldn't get over the people who thanked us for having the courage to travel............really!!!!!!

Get a grip! Whilst you don't deliberately travel to a war zone, you can't allow these animals to stop you getting on with your lives.

"Europe" is a great place to visit. I'm sure there's far more gun crime on a daily basis in the US than anywhere in Europe.

Sorry, if anyone is offended by my observations. I'm British, so we have a different way of thinking when it comes to these things!

Paul,

Totally agree. All it takes is a basic knowledge of current events and a little research travel to avoid the few obvious dangerous areas. Terrorism can strike in Oklahoma as well as Paris or NYC. Of course, places like Eastern Ukraine are to be avoided, but Europe should not be ignored. The Middle East and much of North Africa are best avoided, but we were on a cruise that visited Oman and the UAE and found them very safe.

Some of our public schools don't teach geography anymore and too many don't know how to find Paris or London on a map of the World.

As a Brit who has travelled to America a few times in the last 5/6 years. I personally was far more worried about getting shot at in New York than I have ever been worried wandering around London. Yes, we are on high security at the moment. But it makes me feel safer knowing security is tight.

Anyone in any of those restaurants I visited in New York could have had someone with a gun in their pocket.

It still remains the fact that you are more likely to die in a traffic accident.

Edited by Canugess

As an American I take no offense. You are absolutely right about gun crime here. Unfortunately there is a better chance of your child being a victim of a gun crime just by going to school than on a cruise to Europe. If there is any political issue the cruise line with skip the port of call. Travel is risky just driving to work on a daily basis. Every morning I turn on the news to see which road to avoid because of traffic due to an auto accident.

One reason we went to Greece and the Greek Islands this past Sept/Oct was exactly because the Canadian dollar was so low compared to the US dollar. We are now reluctant to travel when we have to use or pay in USD.

The Euro was low, not the lowest, but at 1.45 CAD is was OK. Add to that reduced fares to Europe, lower accommodation costs in Greece and fewer visitors. We never saw any migrant issues. But, we selected islands in the Cyclades and Crete-well away from the islands where the migrants were heading. Overall, for our currency, Greece was a bargain. As were our days in Paris on the way home. Certainly less expensive that FLL or MIA.

I actually think Paris is now safer. The terrorists have probably quit the city and security is much higher. We would not think twice about going next week. We do not think that most places in Europe are less safe than USA. Don't really understand why people think this way. Could be the TV hype...certainly not the stats.

Edited by iancal

Do recent events affect my travel to Europe?

NO. Just got back from a week in London. We were cautious after the French terrorist activities but it didn't really change what we did.

We were also in London and Paris in July, 2005 right after the tube/bus bombings with our two sons. Again, we had "escape plans" ahead of time with our sons while traveling on the tube and were cautious, but had a fantastic time regardless.

Paul,

Totally agree. All it takes is a basic knowledge of current events and a little research travel to avoid the few obvious dangerous areas. Terrorism can strike in Oklahoma as well as Paris or NYC. Of course, places like Eastern Ukraine are to be avoided, but Europe should not be ignored. The Middle East and much of North Africa are best avoided, but we were on a cruise that visited Oman and the UAE and found them very safe.

Some of our public schools don't teach geography anymore and too many don't know how to find Paris or London on a map of the World.

I can't believe the last paragraph! That's so sad

Will people decide not to cruise? Will the company change its schedule? Will there be discounts available?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

On the new deployment thread, no one is saying there is anything new with the itineraries. That is disappointing, not only because there are issues with Europe but hey it is just time to get more creative. Why the same old , same old? Give us a break Celebrity come up with a few new places to see.

And Yes I would think it might be more difficult to fill their European Itineraries. If they dont come out with some different options they will lose their clients to other cruiselines that offer more variety.

On the new deployment thread, no one is saying there is anything new with the itineraries. That is disappointing, not only because there are issues with Europe but hey it is just time to get more creative. Why the same old , same old? Give us a break Celebrity come up with a few new places to see.

And Yes I would think it might be more difficult to fill their European Itineraries. If they dont come out with some different options they will lose their clients to other cruiselines that offer more variety.

I think we need more than one ship released before making any decisions about same old same old.