Does the situation in Europe affect your future travel?

norwegianwood57

NOPE! We are going to spend a few night in paris this june after our cruise, can't let it stop you! Can't hide out in your house. With that said, be safe and smart. Don't flaunt or wear expensive jewelry, keep your wits about you and where you are.

We just returned from a two week trip to France including 6 days in Paris.

We are returning to Nice in the spring to spend 2 weeks in that area.

We do not change our travel plans for anything except health and family issues. I always feel safer in Europe than I do here in the US.

I am afraid to use my horn to honk at another driver because he may have a gun and shoot me.

But, everyone must do what works best for them. If it bothers you to travel there, don't go, because you probably won't enjoy it.

Dave

At this time I would not change my plans. My plans for 2016 are January Indonesia land trip 25 days. March Eastern Caribean 7 night cruise and 5 nights in Key West. May Canada 4 night cruise. September Europe 12 night cruise Amsterdam to Rome with 8 nights in London.

I guess the question becomes, how bad does it have to get before people will cancel.

One of the real benefits of cruising is that the cruise line will substitute other ports if things get too dicey. We missed our stops in Port Said and Alexandria this past June and there was some grumbling among our fellow passengers but it was still better than not going on a cruise at all.

I guess there may be those rare occasions when an entire cruise is cancelled by the cruise line but there again it takes the "should we or shouldn't we" guess work out of our hands as passengers.

Edited by 2onboardagain

When we were in Greece this fall we avoided Kos, Lesbos, etc where we knew there were lots of refugees. Not because we feared violence but because we wanted to avoid the crowd...which is why we went in late Sept/Oct.

Twice we have been to Greece and Turkey in the past three to four years. When we returned home we heard a number of people express surprise that we would go to such dangerous countries. There was absolutely no threat of danger to us whatsoever. We always felt safe. A lot of TA's have no idea of what they are talking about when advising people about European vacations. They somehow think that what they see on CNN will be their reality 24X7 if they go.

We had a fabulous trip to Greece. Accomodation prices were the lowest we have seen, easy to find hotels, most restaurants gave us complementary after dinner drinks or dessert, and the friendliness and hospitality was better than we had ever experienced it. So glad we did not stay home.

Edited by iancal

The question asked in the title of this thread brings out all the "stiff upper lip" reactions many have expressed. I think realistically, few would put themselves in harms way if given options. We are fearless travelers but we avoid areas with known problems...or flare ups of violence. Why take unnecessary risks when there are so many wonderful places to visit. Yes, there will be a time in the future to visit the wonders of Egypt safely and similarly it may be a good time to avoid France until things settle down.

We went to a wedding almost across the street from the white house the second weekend after 9/11. Didn't feel all that secure even though I could see the snipers on the roof, etc. If it hadn't been for a close friends kids, we wouldn't have gone.

So the answer is yes, we are avoiding the middle east, Turkey and France for now. I realize that everywhere has it's share of problems, but I think it's prudent to avoid taking extra risks.

I'm probably in the minority by admitting this publicly ....but likely I'm in the majority of folks who are sitting at home considering where to visit on vacation.

Edited by ghstudio

The question asked in the title of this thread brings out all the "stiff upper lip" reactions many have expressed. I think realistically, few would put themselves in harms way if given options. We are fearless travelers but we avoid areas with known problems...or flare ups of violence. Why take unnecessary risks when there are so many wonderful places to visit. Yes, there will be a time in the future to visit the wonders of Egypt safely and similarly it may be a good time to avoid France until things settle down.

We went to a wedding almost across the street from the white house the second weekend after 9/11. Didn't feel all that secure even though I could see the snipers on the roof, etc. If it hadn't been for a close friends kids, we wouldn't have gone.

So the answer is yes, we are avoiding the middle east, Turkey and France for now. I realize that everywhere has it's share of problems, but I think it's prudent to avoid taking extra risks.

I'm probably in the minority by admitting this publicly ....but likely I'm in the majority of folks who are sitting at home considering where to visit on vacation.

I am not a "fearless" traveler, but definitely an informed and aware traveler.

We too traveled to Hawaii and boarded a Celebrity ship, one week after 9/11.

We have 4 cruises planned for 2016, all in Europe. If the situations change in a specific region, we roll with it and adapt.

While I certainly believe everyone should make their own choices about where to vacation or travel, I think most people greatly exaggerate the possible risk of any terrorist event actually affecting them. On a previous thread on another board I had posted these statistics:

-- According to the US Travel Organization, Americans took 2.1 billion international trips in 2014.

-- There were 19 reported American deaths overseas due to terrorism.

Using those statistics, Americans have a .0000009% chance of dying in a terrorist attack while traveling.

(Keep in mind, most of the people killed in Paris were not tourists.)

Some other statistics:

-- In the last five years you were four times more likely to be struck by lightning than killed by a terrorist.

-- The Space Science Institute estimates that the odds of being killed by a terrorist attack is about the same as being hit by an asteroid.

Now of course, I am not about to walk into a war zone or even visit somewhere that is on the State Dept list of warnings/advisories. But other than these genuine "hot spots" I will indeed take my risks -- as the odds are exceedingly in my favor.

When I asked this question before, I actually had a couple of people ask me what situation I was referring to. Unfortunately perhaps it is clearer now.

As many of you, we have a European itinerary booked in the future. We are very concerned.

And just like before , some will say, if you cancel, you are letting the enemy win.

Will some of you say something different?

As you all are aware, this is a forum to discuss anything related to cruising and specifically cruising on Celebrity.

While the current situation is a significant issue, please keep the discussion on topic to the extent you can; how does the situation affect you and your plans to cruise to/in Europe.

Discussion of world politics or foreign affairs, while important, is not on topic and therefore is not an appropriate topic on the Celebrity board.

Thanks for your understanding and cooperation.

IMHO statistics of what has happened in the past have little to no bearing on what may happen in the future as regards this topic. We are in a whole new world now with unprecedented hazards due to newer technologies, weapons, etc.. Will my plans change? It depends on what happens going forward. If, for example, France continues to suffer multiple attacks (which of course I sincerely hope they do not!) then I definitely would not want to vacation there at this time. I just posted a thread about St. Maarten which is a little scary. That island of course has a French side as well as a Dutch side. Would I visit the French side in the coming weeks? No way (truthfully I am not that big a fan of it anyway, but just sayin'). I don't think people should overreact, but that the same time we can't put our heads in the sand either. We have to monitor what is happening and plan accordingly as best we can.

I find it interesting when people say that the cruise line will do everything to protect passengers. With all due respect, how can they protect their passengers who are off on a ship's tour when a suicide bomber attacks their bus? How can they protect you when a terrorist starts shooting while cruise ship passengers are sitting in cafes or walking around tourist sites? Neither Celebrity Cruise Lines nor any other line can protect their passengers once off the ship.

Twice we have been to Greece and Turkey in the past three to four years. .......

There was absolutely no threat of danger to us whatsoever. We always felt safe. .

Glad you had a wonderful vacation and felt safe, in the circumstances with what I'd known at the time I would have gone as well.......

But.....

Unless you were privy to security / intelligence briefings I don't see how you can say there was absolutely no threat or danger to you whatsoever. This is surely only said now with the benefit of hindsight. Even in places where the risk is low people run into problems.

I find it interesting when people say that the cruise line will do everything to protect passengers. With all due respect, how can they protect their passengers who are off on a ship's tour when a suicide bomber attacks their bus? How can they protect you when a terrorist starts shooting while cruise ship passengers are sitting in cafes or walking around tourist sites? Neither Celebrity Cruise Lines nor any other line can protect their passengers once off the ship.

They can do things to minimise the risk - heed travel warnings, avoid the dodgy parts of town, pass on advice of where to go.

I remember staying in New Orleans ( the only place I've ever been mugged in, so far, touch wood) and the concierge at the hotel drew a little map showing how to get around the French Quarter avoiding the bad streets. Similarly a concierge at a hotel in Los Angeles drew a map of where not to drive around in LA. Little things that can, reduce the risk - but as was the case in New Orleans not eliminate it

IMHO statistics of what has happened in the past have little to no bearing on what may happen in the future as regards this topic. We are in a whole new world now with unprecedented hazards due to newer technologies, weapons, etc.. Will my plans change? It depends on what happens going forward. If, for example, France continues to suffer multiple attacks (which of course I sincerely hope they do not!) then I definitely would not want to vacation there at this time. I just posted a thread about St. Maarten which is a little scary. That island of course has a French side as well as a Dutch side. Would I visit the French side in the coming weeks? No way (truthfully I am not that big a fan of it anyway, but just sayin'). I don't think people should overreact, but that the same time we can't put our heads in the sand either. We have to monitor what is happening and plan accordingly as best we can.

I think people have lost sight of the fact that travel has never been guaranteed to be risk free. Think back to the 1800s when people from the US undertook grand tours of the "continent" (e.g., Europe), facing rough seas in inadequate ships, diseases for which there was no treatment (or vaccination), potentially pirates at sea or brigands on land, etc. Yet they still traveled.

As for today's travelers, even if ten times the number of US travelers die outside the US in terrorist events, the risk is still incredibly small. Peoples' reactions are based more on fear than on actual risk. After 9/11, people were hugely afraid that this was going to spell a new era of terrorism on US soil, but it just hasn't materialized. There is no way we will ever be able to completely eliminate these kinds of attacks, but the onslaught many predicted has not happened.

As for avoiding Paris (or France or even -- please tell me you're joking -- Saint Martin), isn't there a common saying about the safest time to fly is right after an airline crash? People are on high alert. My guess is that ISIS's next attack will not be anywhere near Paris, and it is likely to be unpredictable. Or perhaps it will be Washington. That's the thing -- we won't know until it happens.

Many people think nothing of traveling to a new destination by ship or plane and renting a car for the day. The risk of getting into an accident by doing this is so much higher than any risk of a terrorism event, yet people do not blink an eye -- because it is a "known" risk that we feel comfortable with. Yet these people are indulging in far riskier travel behavior than someone who simply visits Paris, let's say, and uses public transportation.

Finally, if Paris were to continue to suffer multiple attacks, then appropriate travel warnings would be issued and clearly one would need to re-evaluate the risk of travel there. But I think I'll wait until that actually happens before writing Paris off.... :cool:

I think people have lost sight of the fact that travel has never been guaranteed to be risk free. Think back to the 1800s when people from the US undertook grand tours of the "continent" (e.g., Europe), facing rough seas in inadequate ships, diseases for which there was no treatment (or vaccination), potentially pirates at sea or brigands on land, etc. Yet they still traveled.

As for today's travelers, even if ten times the number of US travelers die outside the US in terrorist events, the risk is still incredibly small. Peoples' reactions are based more on fear than on actual risk. After 9/11, people were hugely afraid that this was going to spell a new era of terrorism on US soil, but it just hasn't materialized. There is no way we will ever be able to completely eliminate these kinds of attacks, but the onslaught many predicted has not happened.

As for avoiding Paris (or France or even -- please tell me you're joking -- Saint Martin), isn't there a common saying about the safest time to fly is right after an airline crash? People are on high alert. My guess is that ISIS's next attack will not be anywhere near Paris, and it is likely to be unpredictable. Or perhaps it will be Washington. That's the thing -- we won't know until it happens.

Many people think nothing of traveling to a new destination by ship or plane and renting a car for the day. The risk of getting into an accident by doing this is so much higher than any risk of a terrorism event, yet people do not blink an eye -- because it is a "known" risk that we feel comfortable with. Yet these people are indulging in far riskier travel behavior than someone who simply visits Paris, let's say, and uses public transportation.

Finally, if Paris were to continue to suffer multiple attacks, then appropriate travel warnings would be issued and clearly one would need to re-evaluate the risk of travel there. But I think I'll wait until that actually happens before writing Paris off.... :cool:

Good points. We need posters like you to provide some background and second thoughts.

For some reason, and I know it's irrational, I would feel more comfortable in Paris than, say, Istanbul. Perhaps it's the identification with the "West" and our familiarity with the language.

If some event occurred we would feel more comfortable in communicating in that city. But I agree the chances of such an event are remote.

Most interestingly to us, the targets chosen by the terrorists in Ankara and Paris were not those frequented by tourists. That is not what I assumed would be their focus, and that just confirms what little I know about their strategies.

Nope, not going to affect me in the least.

With that said, I have no plans to travel to Europe in the future. Even without the situation unfolding over there currently, I would still have had no plans. I really have no aching desire to see Europe anyway.

As far as travel here in the States and the bordering countries, I won't let anything scare me off from travelling. My wife and I are of the same opinion that if it's our time, it's our time. We're going to live our lives to fullest together.

Yes of course you are correct.

The only thing a cruiseline can do is use their crystal ball to predict how to change their itineraries to provide options for those who may wish to be in other regions of the world. Judging from what some say of Celeb new deployment there is again little change and little variety.