Does the situation in Europe affect your future travel?

norwegianwood57

I am on a British Isles trip in May 2016 which overnights in Le Harve. Was going to go into Paris and stay overnight but since I have been to Paris I might just do things each day from Le Harve instead.

P&O have cancelled their tours to Paris this weekend from Le Harve. They say there is plenty on offer there.

I certainly wouldn't go to Israel again, fortunately we visited both there and Egypt on our very first cruise 20 years ago.

BTW I will not go to Russia. So I am having hard time finding a Baltic Northern European curise without St. Peterburg as a port.

We were in St Petersburg on Eclipse in July.

We had a pre arranged a tour with SPB, so had no need to arrange our own visa.

It was a 2 day tour and the best I have ever taken. The sights were amazing and the guides were so professional.

Edited by upwarduk

There will still be far more homicides in many US cities than in Paris in 2015.

Paris and London are far safer than most US cities.

And don't think that staying in the US keeps you safe from ISIS. Given the easy availability of firearms, the US is, sadly, an easy target for such terrorists.

Stuart

Edited by Wiltonian

I know a lot of people who said the same thing after 9/11. No way would they travel to the US then just when it seemed to be ok, the Boston Marathon atrocity happened. Nowhere in the world is safe.

Edited by sandancer

And don't think that staying in the US keeps you safe from ISIS. Given the easy availability of firearms, the US is, sadly, an easy target for such terrorists.

Stuart

Couldn't agree more.

Don't worry at all about living in Europe.

I would, however, carefully consider the USA because of the guns.

How someone American could be frightened about coming over here amazes me when they could just pop to the shop and get gunned down. Send their child to school and next see them in the morgue.

Unbelieveable and, thankfully, very rare here. Our yearly number of deaths from guns are minute compared to the USA.

The terrorrists will be back. No one knows were. Do you expect us all over here to stay locked in the house?

Stuart

We don't think we are safe from ISIS in the US.

How someone American could be frightened about coming over here amazes me when they could just pop to the shop and get gunned down. Send their child to school and next see them in the morgue.

Unbelieveable and, thankfully, very rare here. Our yearly number of deaths from guns are minute compared to the USA.

The terrorrists will be back. No one knows were. Do you expect us all over here to stay locked in the house?

Thanks for your comment.

In recent years I have become more concerned and vigilant about visiting the USA, but not enough to avoid travelling.

I also agree that, unfortunately, despite our best efforts "the terrorists will be back". And thus I don't know what cruise itinerary would avoid any and all danger.

I concur with the poster that pointed out that driving on our highways is, in terms of probability of physical damage, far more of a concern to me.

Very well said!

As many of you, we have a European itinerary booked in the future. We are very concerned.?

Concerned???

I'm more concerned about travelling to USA....

......ending in the towers.

......shooting everywhere. More guns soon than people.

.......people driving like crazy.

Around 130 died in Paris.

How many in the towers in New York?

3500?

And Paris is not a cruiseport.

You don't have to cruise near there either.

Stay around Venzia and be safe of you are afraid of Paris.

We have a Douro river cruise booked for next May. We aren't cancelling it.

Also, we are planning to do a driving tour of England and Wales in 2017, no change there.

At some point we wanted to do a lower Danube river cruise, but with all the Syrian refuges in that area, not sure about that one. We will likely still do it, unless things really go downhill.

We visited Yugoslavia in 1990 before the civil war, no problem, but going there a few years later would not have been wise.

Terror treats are complicated, since it is very had to predict where and when they will take place. Unless our government advises otherwise, we plan our travel as is.

I have lived in London and the South East of England all my life.

This includes periods of violent riots (70's) and bombs (70's / 90's / '05).

None of the above deterred me from entering town or using the Underground. I've reported unattended bags before now and will continue to be aware of my surroundings.

I've flown since 9/11 many times. I've been to many European countries that have experienced violent unrest (Spain for example) and the Middle East numerous times. I've been to Egypt and would go again. A Nile cruise is on my bucket list.

Gatwick airport (south of London) was evacuated a day ago as a passenger was discovered carrying a gun. Stopped at check in. Security training works.

The world is out there and I will continue to plan to see as much as I want as long as I can afford to and have the good health to too. As long as my government deems a country safe to visit I shall.

#prayforParis

Edited by NorbertsNiece

We were in Greece for five weeks this past Sept/Oct with a stop on the way back in Paris.

We anticipate being back in Europe again this fall France/Spain or perhaps Berlin then down to Croatia.

We have been in Thailand during the minor troubles over the past two winters.

I do not believe in staying home. In general, I do not think travel in Europe is any more dangerous to our personal safety than travel in the US. Perhaps even less. But, we pick our spots.

I think that the cruise lines are very cognizant of the issues and do their upmost to keep passengers safe. The bulk of our travel lately has been independent land travel with last minute cruise add-ons so we are not terribly impacted by cruise line itinerary changes.

Edited by iancal

We feel much safer, from a personal safety perspective, walking around London or Paris at night than we do in most US cities of a similar size.

Terrorism can happen anywhere as we know too well. The only option would be to stay in our homes.....which is not an option.

I won't change any of my plans, but I'll plan on tougher security at any passport control.

We were taking care of our kids dog last night, & strolled over to Rodeo Drive, I have to admit it occurred to me that this was just the type of place that terrorists would like to hit, but honestly, it was a lovely evening... any big metropolitan area is a target, especially if people are enjoying themselves & their freedom.

We all have to calculate what "risks" we are willing to take, people love to focus on risks out of their control, but are perfectly willing to be out of shape, eat, drink or smoke to excess, drive without a seatbelt, etc, ( I myself ate a giant greasy burger today, which was delicious, but certainly not the best health choice.. :)

So, no, I'll carry on, but be aware of my surroundings as always.

Have 2 trips to Europe planned for 2016. Will simply keep a low profile. probably not a good time to flaunt being from the USA or other "western" countries. Keep aware of your surroundings and you are really no more likely to have a problem in Paris as in New York or any other large city.

Thus both Turkey and Spain are a go. That said we have again pushed back a trip to Egypt.