Best night for steakhouse?

laumicmah

I haven't been on a cruise since Aug 2013. I haven't been on these boards a lot since then either. Back then, the good nights for the steakhouse were the first night for the free bottle of wine or the 3rd night, if I remember correctly (which had a dud of a menu in the MDR). I know menus have changed. Any thoughts on the best night for a resie at the steakhouse? It is a 7 day cruise on the Magic. TIA!

Edited by laumicmah

I like the last sea day or the last night of the cruise. A holiday like a birthday or anniversary is also a good night to dine there. It's a nice way to wrap up or commemorate my vacation.

I don't drink alcohol, so the cheapo wine doesn't interest me. I prefer to check out my MDR seating situation the 1st night instead.

We can't do the steakhouse every night. So which has the dud-est menu? Lets go on desserts. I like the Grand Marnier souffle, the bitter n blanc and creme broulee is good. What nights have those?

Grand Marnier soufflé is usually the last night at sea. Crème Brule moved to first night as I recall, but may be different on different ships. Bitter and Blanc was the night after the first elegant night which is usually the first full sea day.

While I agree with previous posters on the first night being a good night to go, mainly because it's casual that night (and might be on last night of cruise too?) not because the cheaper "house" wine comes free. We typically go on one of the nights between the two elegant nights on 7 day cruises. We pick a port where we're not doing a long excursion or the ship leaves a bit early. If we have not made advanced reservations, we do take a gander at the MDR menu as early as we can and try to pick a night when nothing strikes our fancy. Unfortunately that sometimes means we're eating at 9PM.:(

Adding that on larger ships, like the magic, you have a choice of the Italian Cucina or the Asian place as well as the Steakhouse. Both are much cheaper than the Steakhouse ($10 pp as I recall) so you can avoid the MDR on all but 2 non-elegant nights.

Edited by crewsweeper

According to Zydocruiser's site, I hope it's current:

Day 1- creme brulee

Day 2- elegant lobster night

Day 3- dud

Day 4- Bitter N Blanc

Day 5- Chateaubriand, which I like

Day 6- dud-ish (less dud-ish than day 3 and we've only done up to 5 day cruises so this day is new to us)

Day 7- GM souffle

I don't know what this American Table menu stuff is. Is this to replace the ever day menu? We are cruising with SIL's family so I'd like to go to MDR the first night to get our table situated (early seating). And I'd like to book the steakhouse for just DH and I. But we'd like to try the Italian and Asia places too. Are they open for lunch? We have only been on shorter cruises on smaller ships so this is a bit new to us.

Edited by laumicmah

We're on the same sailing as you and picked day 4 I think. It's the day we're in St. Thomas. We chose that because we love elegant night in the MDR, so didn't want to miss that. We don't care about the free bottle of wine either. I love wine, but it just didn't seem to be that much of a deal considering the type of wine you get or the discount on others. We have early dining, so picked the day we have the latest port departure so we wouldn't feel rushed coming back from port. I'd like to try Bitter N Blanc, but it's not all that important that I'd arrange my schedule around it.

We've often opted for the 3rd night, as we've found that menu to be more of a letdown. One time, when we booked YTD, we opted for the 1st night. The wine is okay, not great. We also take ports into consideration - one time we had a busy port day in St. Maarten and by the time we got to the steakhouse I was tired and sunburned and just couldn't enjoy the meal.

Our next cruise is Vista, 10-day Med cruise. One sea day and lots of late port days. Somehow I doubt we'll make it to the steakhouse on that one.

Unlike many of the people on here, we're not foodies, and the desserts in the MDR aren't a deciding factor either. We prefer to go to the steakhouse on the first night. Not so much because of the free wine, but because it's less crowded, dress is casual (no shorts allowed), and it's a bit more quiet. I also agree with evandbob. If you're celebrating a special occasion (birthday, anniversary, etc.), make your reservation to coincide with the occasion.

We normally try to scan the menus for the week and pick a "bad" night in the MDR. For our next cruise, in July, I booked the first night. May as well take the free bottle of wine.;)

Love Carnival's steakhouse! Better than most here in CT! Well worth the $35 upcharge! YUM!!!!:D

Does Carnival have Baked Alaska? I had it on Princess and liked it. DH can't eat it. Usually cheese cake for him. I would have to check out MD menus to see which night to try the steakhouse. DH does want to try the steakhouse, looking forward to it!

I hear you all talk about your favorite desserts? I am not familiar with most of them. If you don't mind, can you please give a brief description of what is in the dessert and why you like it? Example: chocolate cake drizzled in cherries, blah, blah.

Thanks!

Warm chocolate melting cake is like a lava cake (gooey inside) with a scoop of vanilla ice cream (or 2 scoops if you ask for it like I do ;)).

Bitter N Blanc is a bread pudding like dish with a chunk of chocolate in the center, that gets all melty, and a white (rum?) sauce poured over top.

Grand Marnier Souffle is like a vanilla lava cake (all gooey inside...vanilla or eggy like with grand marnier in it).

Those are the 3 I looked forward to on my cruises. Yes, they have baked Alsaska on night 5 according to Zydecocruiser site.

Edited by laumicmah

• 2 weeks later...
Warm chocolate melting cake is like a lava cake (gooey inside) with a scoop of vanilla ice cream (or 2 scoops if you ask for it like I do ;)).

Bitter N Blanc is a bread pudding like dish with a chunk of chocolate in the center, that gets all melty, and a white (rum?) sauce poured over top.

Grand Marnier Souffle is like a vanilla lava cake (all gooey inside...vanilla or eggy like with grand marnier in it).

Those are the 3 I looked forward to on my cruises. Yes, they have baked Alsaska on night 5 according to Zydecocruiser site.

I'll try one of each please!:cool:

We have a reservation for the First Night on the Sunshine. Free bottle of wine. relaxed dress code. ( slacks and a shirt with collar for husband) AND

it is the only night when we are hungry enough to make much of a stab at the food we get there........which is great.

It is a short 3 hour drive to Cape Canaveral for us. We arrive a little later than noon and as we are Platinum board quickly. then finding the cabin. Then looking for the luggage. then unpacking. then muster drill. so we usually don't eat lunch and by six.......We are starved. When we go on another night......after breakfast with bacon.........grits..........then a slice of pizza for lunch or such......some of those delicious chocolate chip cookies.....................when it is time for dinner..........I already feel like I swallowed a watermelon.

THIS time I am going to do that Apple Carmel flan JUSTICE. Last time I just nibbled. Or that decadent chocolate sampler that my Husband ordered and ate in front of me. Not offering to share......and yes. I was full but it was chocolate.

SO looking forward to the cruise.

We like the first nite because they were offering half price bottles of wine. We don't like the $3 bottle they give you. Not sure if the half price promo is still going.

I was on Conquest last month and the free wine offer or the half price offer were both still offered on the first night. It is suppose to also be offered on the first elegant night of the cruise. I cannot vouch for that one because I did not go that night but I did the first night. I chose the half price wine offer and it was well worth along with such a great steakhouse meal.:cool: