Shame on you Celebrity

twin123185

All your April 2017 TA's are now out and they are the most expensive ever, especially the Reflection 4/22/17. Double 2016 prices for inside and ocean view. Insane. Never should have booked the future cruise on board the Silhouette last month.

Where prices start and where they finish are often completely different animals. X sets prices according to demand and then as one gets closer to sailing the almost always change - usually down. A B2B on Constellation in a veranda cabin for last year was reduced (for the B2B) by over $1200 per person. The prices for 2016 in a veranda on Equinox started at $1799 and is now in the $1299 area. The prices are only about $100 higher from where they STARTED.

Making your reservation onboard Silhouette simply is a reservation which you can cancel at any time in the next year absolutely free to you. If the trends of the last few years continue the price for your cabin - you did not say you booked that specific cruise, only complained about the cost - should be cut significantly. Unhappy - cancel now or you can wait till early January of 2017 and cancel then.

If the prices are outrageous and no one books cabins, the price will go down. If the ship sells out, they made the right decision on pricing cabins.

The goal of any business is to maximize value for shareholders, so how can you fault them?

All your April 2017 TA's are now out and they are the most expensive ever, especially the Reflection 4/22/17. Double 2016 prices for inside and ocean view. Insane. Never should have booked the future cruise on board the Silhouette last month.

Did you book on board not knowing the prices, or did you just but a future cruise certificate?

Did you book on board not knowing the prices, or did you just but a future cruise certificate?

I was on the same cruise on Silhouette and they were offering a FCC for TAs only with small OBC and prepaid gratuities ( something new for TA) -that should had been an indicator that pricing will be higher. Never thought it will be 30% higher...

Still, you can use that FCC for another cruise with different perks.

Comparing apples to apples, the Silhouette TA for Fall 2017 is $577 (total for 2) more than we paid for last month's Silhouette TA. Considering they are offering $400 in free grats and $100 OBC, it comes to a measly $77 more. So what's the big deal?

If you're not happy, just cancel. You can get your deposit back.

You'd think Celebrity was some kind of corporation trying to turn a profit or something.

I know what you are thinking but TA's are different. They are always much cheaper historically. That's why they almost always sell out.

Comparing apples to apples, the Silhouette TA for Fall 2017 is $577 (total for 2) more than we paid for last month's Silhouette TA. Considering they are offering $400 in free grats and $100 OBC, it comes to a measly $77 more. So what's the big deal?

If you're not happy, just cancel. You can get your deposit back.

They want $1499 for an inside cabin. The Silhouette cruise we were just on was $882 for one day less. My 2016 TA is $739 for a 13 day

I know what you are thinking but TA's are different. They are always much cheaper historically. That's why they almost always sell out.
Sounds like Celebrity has been underpricing TA's for years. Good for them for attempting to correct this mistake.

I think TAs are just increasing in popularity. More people are taking extended cruises (last Med, TA, First Caribbean). Others have realised if they are more interested in the ship experience than the destinations a TA is a good idea. We were amazed when we booked a TP in 2014 how quickly the cruise booked up.

As others have said if bookings don't take off we will see reductions but it may just be that times are changing....

We had a lot of passengers on the first Caribbean cruise two weeks ago who had stayed on from the Transatlantic so I think that correct. The Transatlantics on Cunard have always been hugely popular and it's catching on.

You do understand supply/demand and how corporations are obligated to their shareholders to make a profit. Prices will be reduced if supply>demand.

I think TAs are just increasing in popularity. More people are taking extended cruises (last Med, TA, First Caribbean). Others have realised if they are more interested in the ship experience than the destinations a TA is a good idea. We were amazed when we booked a TP in 2014 how quickly the cruise booked up.

As others have said if bookings don't take off we will see reductions but it may just be that times are changing....

I think you hit the nail on the head! TA's have become destinations themselves, especially with the past lower pricing.

These transatlantic price increases are no joke. The person who originated this discussion was serious and deserves respect from those participating in this forum. As someone who enjoys transatlantics, I too share his concern about the excessive price increases for all stateroom categories. Celebrity has recently shortened most transatlantics offering fewer days and fewer port stops. The Reflection April crossings are now the only ones that are 16 days.

There may be some downside for Celebrity as a result of this higher price structure. For example, fewer cruisers may choose to book the cruise just before or just after the transatlantic. Past transatlantic passengers aware of the previous years cost for the same itineraries may be annoyed and choose to spend far less on board because of the new higher prices. Some cruisers will seek out alternative cruise lines and/or more port intensive itineraries.

I am glad the original poster spoke his mind and I agree with him that the 2017 pricing is too high, especially since you have to add on transatlantic airfare to the cost of the cruise.

Maybe they figured the only ones who could afford those high prices are the retirees, who are also the only ones who can usually take that much time off.

Certainly not their "new" target demographic of the young ones, I'm sure you don't find many 30 year olds on TAs.

I agree about the higher pricing, especially when usually there are no perks offered. We have taken 5 and each year prices seem higher and higher. We booked a TA ON PRINCESS NEXT YEAR AND GOT A DRINK PACKAGE AND SHIPBOARD CREDITS

Depends on your historical time frame. Truly "historically" there were only TAs, and the level of luxury Celebrity cruisers expect was called First-Class and was priced much higher (in today's dollars) than anything you could contemplate. [i'm talking about the Mauritania through the SS United States era.] Then for a brief period [in the sweep of cruising history] there were ships designed for Carib/Med port-intensive cruising that needed to reposition twice a year -- and rather than sail empty, the cruise lines offered really cheap fares. But now ships like the S-class offer so many daily activities that a TA is hardly a sacrifice, and with the economic revival they are able to charge what the cruise is worth. If it's not worth it to you, someone else will take the cabin -- or the price will come down. Since DW and I started cruising big-time in 2011 each cruise has cost more than the previous one, and I expect this trend to continue because cruises are still worth more than they cost.

These transatlantic price increases are no joke. The person who originated this discussion was serious and deserves respect [...]
A transatlantic cruise is pretty much the epitome of a luxury good. I do not understand why a cruise line should be "ashamed" of asking a little more for one than some people would like to pay.

a transatlantic cruise is pretty much the epitome of a luxury good. I do not understand why a cruise line should be "ashamed" of asking a little more for one than some people would like to pay.

a+++

These transatlantic price increases are no joke. The person who originated this discussion was serious and deserves respect from those participating in this forum. As someone who enjoys transatlantics, I too share his concern about the excessive price increases for all stateroom categories. Celebrity has recently shortened most transatlantics offering fewer days and fewer port stops. The Reflection April crossings are now the only ones that are 16 days.

There may be some downside for Celebrity as a result of this higher price structure. For example, fewer cruisers may choose to book the cruise just before or just after the transatlantic. Past transatlantic passengers aware of the previous years cost for the same itineraries may be annoyed and choose to spend far less on board because of the new higher prices. Some cruisers will seek out alternative cruise lines and/or more port intensive itineraries.

I am glad the original poster spoke his mind and I agree with him that the 2017 pricing is too high, especially since you have to add on transatlantic airfare to the cost of the cruise.

Thank you for your kind words and agreement. I love TA's and there are MANY who ONLY cruise this way. The appeal has always been the cheaper pricing. There's a thread dedicated to this happening now. I also think the shortened TA's are to minimize OBC'a aa many RCCL shareholders routinely take these cruises. Or at least that's part of it.