Princess is now charging a processing fee on Indonesian and Vietnamese visas

My understanding is that NZ is not on the Visa waiver list. We were in Bali last year and were charged $US35. Australia has had two goes in the last year at being Visa free but I think with heightened tensions still brewing around the "boats and refugees" tensions may continue for some time. For Princess to charge $US60 for a $US35 visa is nothing short of a rort of the highest order especially as they insist everyone has a visa whether or not they go ashore.

I believe the problem with the "free list" was that Australia would give the same.

Is it Princess who insist everyone have a Visa or Bali?

Hi Folks

Did not Celebrity pull a number of Bali stops due to extra demands for cash payments to port Officials

regards

John

That is correct John. It happened about 18 months ago. Benoa Port Officials were having a standoff at the port requiring cruise lines to pay extra before they would allow passengers ashore. Fortunately it was resolved.

On our Solstice visit back in March we booked Balimade tours for a tour around the area. Our trip comprised 6 cars of 6 people each. Price was very good and the service fabulous

I believe the problem with the "free list" was that Australia would give the same.

Is it Princess who insist everyone have a Visa or Bali?

On the Solstice everyone had to get a visa. I assume it is a requirement by Indonesian authorities as there is not Customs or Immigration facilities in the terminal and as such no way of knowing who or who didn't come ashore

My understanding is that NZ is not on the Visa waiver list. We were in Bali last year and were charged $US35. Australia has had two goes in the last year at being Visa free but I think with heightened tensions still brewing around the "boats and refugees" tensions may continue for some time. For Princess to charge $US60 for a $US35 visa is nothing short of a rort of the highest order especially as they insist everyone has a visa whether or not they go ashore.

Apparently the list changed in September and NZ is now on it.

Yes, I agree that Princess is overcharging for the visa. Shame on them.

Apparently the list changed in September and NZ is now on it.

Yes, I agree that Princess is overcharging for the visa. Shame on them.

A recheck of the internet indicates you are indeed correct. It now seems that only Aussies will be lined up for a couple hours prior to arrival getting a visa.

A recheck of the internet indicates you are indeed correct. It now seems that only Aussies will be lined up for a couple hours prior to arrival getting a visa.

That may change in the next few weeks. Here's hoping anyway, I'd rather spend that money onboard since we won't be going ashore at our Bali stop.

No lining up in November, they just collected our Passports, returned them a day or two later with visa and receipt charged our Account $40 something Aus = US$35

On our several (maybe 5 or 6) visits to Bali on a cruiseship we have never had to line up for a visa. It is handled on the ship with no "face-to-face". On our last cruise I was told that Indonesian officials came on board at the previous port and were put in a couple of empty passenger cabins where they spent all day stamping passports.

I just spotted elsewhere that Princess has started charging a processing fee for the visas required for port stops in Indonesia and Vietnam.

The Indonesian visa has gone up from US $35 to US $60, and increas of $25.

The Vietnamese visa has gone up from US $31 to US $46.

I checked online and the visa-on-arrival fee for Indonesia is still US $35.

Apparently a Princess rep stated that the increase was a processing fee. :eek:

Princess has always charged a fee for a visa in Vietnam at least it did so on our last two trips there in 2014. Cannot remember now what the fee was but certainly not near what has been quoted here

Interesting to note that some cruise lines charge as little as $5 for a Vietnamese visa so I suspect that Princess has found a way to extract some more $$$ from their passengers

I noticed on the travel summary for our Brunei port stop in February that Princess will charge us $45.00 AUD each for visas.

If I were to apply directly it would cost $20 each. However taking into account the cost of sending and receiving our passports via registered mail, it would probably cost close to $45 and not worth the hassle.

I do think though that charging more than double the cost of the visa is a bit steep. Any administration fee should be included in the cruise cost.

I do not think getting your own visa to save a few dollars would work out. The cruiseline is not going to check with everyone (Do you have a visa??) and look at all those passports to see who needs a visa and who does not. They just organise the lot and charge everyone. I think it is likely that if someone got their own visa, the cruiseline would still charge them, then they would have to have a big fight trying to get a refund. I don't think it is worth the hassle.:)

This is the link given to me by the Indonesian embassy when I was arguing with Princess and they reimbursed my money as obc on my next cruise

http://www.kbri-canberra.org.au/index.php/visa-service-kbri-canberra/visa/visa-free-for-short-visit.

This is the link given to me by the Indonesian embassy when I was arguing with Princess and they reimbursed my money as obc on my next cruise

http://www.kbri-canberra.org.au/index.php/visa-service-kbri-canberra/visa/visa-free-for-short-visit.

They now have a disclaimer on the documentation about short visit visas. Here is the exact wording from the current version of our Travel Summary.

"INDONESIA VISA/PASSPORT REQUIREMENT

A single-entry visa for Indonesia is required for all guests regardless of whether you choose to remain on board or go ashore in Indonesia. Most guests, including U.S., Canadian, U.K., Australian, and New Zealand passport holders, may either obtain this visa on your own before your cruise or choose to have a visa issued upon arrival in Indonesia. If you choose to have the visa issued on board, a visa fee of USD $60.00 per person will be charged to your stateroom account. All other passport holders should contact their nearest Indonesian Consulate or a visa service to determine their visa requirements. Please note this voyage is not eligible for the Visa-Free Short Visit Program. Indonesian customs has strict regulations in regards to passport validity and require that all passports be valid for at

least six months after you depart Indonesia. Additionally, your passport should have at least one blank page for entry and exit endorsements. If your passport does not meet these requirements you will be denied boarding due to failure to meet travel requirements. Cruise and/or cruisetour fare will not be refunded.

VIETNAM VISA/PASSPORT REQUIREMENT

A Vietnam visa is required for most guests on this voyage, including Australian, Canadian, New Zealand and U.S. passport holders. You may either obtain the visa on your own before your cruise, or a visa will be issued upon arrival in Vietnam. If you choose to have the visa issued on board, a passport-size photo or copy of your passport photo page is required, and a visa fee of USD $46.00 per person (USD $56.00 per person for those participating on an overland package) will be charged to your stateroom account. Some guests, including UK passport holders, do not require a visa; however, they will be charged $1 per person for a landing card and a $1 per person processing fee. All guests' passports must be valid for at least six months after departing Vietnam and must contain at least one unused page for entry/exit endorsements."

From the Smartraveller website.

Entry and exit

Transit visas (valid for 72 hours) and single and multiple entry visas can be issued to Australian passport holders on arrival in Brunei. The visa fee must be paid in cash in either Brunei or Singapore dollars. There is a money changer in the arrival hall of the airport beyond the immigration control point, but no banking facilities.

Immigration regulations are strict. Australians working in Brunei are strongly advised to closely monitor their immigration status and visa expiration dates. You should check your entry stamp in your passport to confirm your permitted length of stay.

A departure tax is payable in Brunei dollars at Brunei International Airport in Bandar Seri Begawan and the Muara and Serasa ferry terminals. Depending upon the airline, the departure tax may be incorporated into the cost of the air ticket.

As visa and other entry and exit conditions (such as currency, customs and quarantine regulations) can change at short notice, contact the nearest Embassy, High Commission or Consulate of Brunei for the most up-to-date information.

Make sure your passport has at least six months' validity from your planned date of return to Australia.

HI, I am not going on this cruise but there are alot of people from here that are going on the asia cruise for 26 nights and it seems to be very costly for the visa now to all these places on this visit. and as it is us dollars then have to convert to aus dollars i can;t see hopw princess can get away with all these increase that would make it more expensive than the Nov cruise to same ports even after the us dollars were converted to aust dollars now they are more expensive before you start to think about the conversion and times that by the passengers onboard and that's alot of extra money for nothing being made by princess/

Regards Zanny

Regarding Indonesian visa requirements and specifically Bali, it will be interesting to see, in view of unfolding events in Jakarta today, if Bali visits will be avoided by cruise ships in the near future.

Personally I hope so. My next cruise calls into Bali and even though I'll be staying onboard I'll still have to pay for that darn' visa! :mad:

I got this info back from Princess.

VISA UPDATE

Please be advised that some of our prices for visas that can be obtained onboard have changed. Countries affected are: Cambodia, Indonesia, Jordan, and Vietnam. As your voyage visits one or more of these countries, please visit

your Cruise Personalizer to review the updated visa information (on the Itinerary page under Important Notices, or on your Travel Summary under Important Notices).

You have the option of obtaining your visas in advance directly from the consulate of the countries visited. If you choose to obtain the visa on board, the applicable fee will be charged to your stateroom account.

A USD25.00pp fee will be added to the visa cost on all voyages sailing to Cambodia, Indonesia, Jordan and Vietnam after 1 January 2016.

Please let us know if you require any further information

• 1 month later...