Our take on Revised Aqua Class, etc.

SFL

I find this reasonable. The last few sailings we have taken in Sky Suites and AQ, we have been inundated with water bottles. During one sailing, there were 10 bottles on our desk. The steward would bring in new bottles everyday. We really only used the bottle watered to take our meds. It got so we could not tell which bottle was opened and which was not because the steward would rearrange the dresser when dusting. It was ridiculous and they took up a lot of space, not to mention the waste!

Daily water was never a perk for Sky Suites. What would have been reasonable would have been telling the room steward not to bring water daily and asking for it to be replenished when you needed it.

Thank you for the suggestion, but we did just that! ;) But we shouldn't have to tell them we need no more water when it is apparent.

In October, our steward (or Butler - not sure which) in our Sky Suite would my opened water bottle (which were left daily) from the bedside table and place it on the dresser with a couple of more new bottles. He did the same on DH's desk. We probably had 6 or so bottles in our SS at one time.

Then, on the last day, all water bottles disappeared from our stateroom. :rolleyes: Had to go pick one up at the bar and hide it so I could take my evening and morning pills before disembarkation.

Same thing for a cruise in an SS last Spring with my daughters. We had multiple water bottles left in our stateroom. Guess they like us! :)

Cruise before that, DH and I in an AQ, was when we had 10 bottles at one time.

So, it's no wonder that Celebrity is cutting back because many waters were going to waste.

Edited by Iamthesea

I suggested on the other Water thread that they be available on a request basis - the perfect compromise. Just get it when you need more. It could be a hanging door thing like room service breakfast or to get the afternoon canapes.

Great idea!

Canapés... Now that's where Celebrity could save money! Keep the water, but stop the canapés.

Isn't it amazing that the topic of cheap bottled water (probably costs X about 20 cents per bottle) has generated so much negative badwill? Celebrity's relatively new CEO seems to have no clue in that relatively small cut-backs (that save the cruise line very little money) can alienate so many loyal customers. Tis a shame and it sounds like X might need to soon look for a new CEO.

We pointed out in another post, that when on the Eclipse (in Aqua Class) we also ran into the water issue and our cabin steward even apologized for the new policy. Since we had a Premium Beverage Package we simply replaced the missing cheap cabin water with much more expensive Pelligrino, Perrier, and Evian! Every time we were returning to our cabin we would stop at a bar and pick up a couple of more bottles of the more expensive products. We suspect that any savings Celebrity got from not putting the cheap stuff in cabins was more then offset by our use of expensive bottled waters (we would have been quite happy with the usual cheap stuff in our cabin).

Hank

Edited by Hlitner

Isn't it amazing that the topic of cheap bottled water (probably costs X about 20 cents per bottle) has generated so much negative badwill? Celebrity's relatively new CEO seems to have no clue in that relatively small cut-backs (that save the cruise line very little money) can alienate so many loyal customers. Tis a shame and it sounds like X might need to soon look for a new CEO.

Hank

I also find it amazing that X's new CEO seems to have no clue regarding the impacts of these cut-backs. And to eliminate the daily delivery of bottled water to a relatively small number of cabins (and in a stateroom category in which the price of such delivery should be incorporated into the stateroom price) such seems so clueless.

Since the introduction of Aqua Class we generally booked Aqua, and we never had bottles of water accumulate in the stateroom. If we used water it was replaced. If we had two unopened bottles on our desk top none was delivered that day. But we never have had an accumulation of ten or so bottles.

IMO and experience, you can't compare 3, 4 or 5 night cruises with 7 night cruises. No matter what cruise line, they are just not the same and not comparable. The experience is usually so different, it's like comparing apples to oranges.

Anytime I take a short cruise, I do so with the attitude that it's not going to be as good as a longer cruise. I just take it for what it's worth (a taste of cruising, not a full meal) and appreciate the longer cruises that much more when I'm on them. I hope you experience that as well on your next longer cruise.

I suggested on the other Water thread that they be available on a request basis - the perfect compromise. Just get it when you need more. It could be a hanging door thing like room service breakfast or to get the afternoon canapes.

Sounds like a good compromise to me.

"Canapés... Now that's where Celebrity could save money! Keep the water, but stop the canapés."

We like the "afternoon savories." So maybe they could be available on a request basis - everyone gets what they want or don't want.

Actually, that's exactly how they do it today (and for at least a year). You fill out a card each day stating what time you would like canapes (or if you want them at all). (if you're not there, they don't leave them). If you don't want them, you just don't fill out the card. As far as getting what you want or don't want...I've had the savories...they are on my "don't want" list...if we get anything, we ask for cheese instead.

Actually, that's exactly how they do it today (and for at least a year). You fill out a card each day stating what time you would like canapes (or if you want them at all). (if you're not there, they don't leave them). If you don't want them, you just don't fill out the card. As far as getting what you want or don't want...I've had the savories...they are on my "don't want" list...if we get anything, we ask for cheese instead.

You are right, we were in AQ last April and that is how it was done, so I don't understand the "stop the canapes" post. Sometimes we order the savories and sometimes we order the cheese plate and sometimes we just order something from room service and sometimes we get a plate of sushi or tea sandwiches from the buffet and bring to our stateroom. Lots of choices.

We never fill out the card and just tell the steward to please leave them in the room if we are not there. No problem.

February 2015 (Equinox), we were in our last AQ and canapés were delivered every day. In Sky Suites March (Reflection) and October 2015(Eclipse) ...canapés delivered. No papers to fill out. :confused:

One of the main reasons that we do not care for them is that by the time we return to our stateroom, they have been sitting out for at least an hour. That does not include the time they have been sitting on a cart as it is rolled from room to room.:rolleyes:

Well anyway... like Hlitner, if we have no water in our upcoming AQ, we will use our package to keep a bottle or two of quality water in our stateroom. BTW- The cruise that we had 10 bottles by the end of the cruise was on an 11 night cruise. I had a photo at one time. I will have to go look through my photo files.

Just off Eclipse. A form was provided each day to tell the steward if you wished to receive canapés and at what time. it also stated that they would not be delivered if No one was in the room at the time of delivery. Did not fill it out - none were delivered. Stopped at the cafe to get large bottles of Evian (premium alcohol pkg) on the way back to the room - never short of water. Buffet was great. Menu with the specials in Bistro - service was great, food was good to very good.

Do people on a cruise really care about cotton balls and q-tips? It seems like a very small thing compared to ocean views, beautiful beaches, fun times with loved ones, etc.

We dont use the cotton balls. The q-tips yes I would use one or two if they are their. I always have some of my own for traveling, not all hotels have q-tips.

Just to make you aware, they have been getting away from MDR meals in Blu for quite awhile now, at least a year.

I sailed on Equinox last April and Silhouette - TA in November and we could order MDR offerings on both sailing. But, I have to say we had the BEST wait stuff on Silhouette. On Silhouette we had daily water, but didn't have sleepers or white mesh bags. We were told that shipment didn't arrived.

Edited by ISABELLA

The jars of tips and cotton balls were also removed about a year ago & replaced with a small package containing a couple of cotton balls & qtips.

IMHO an improvement as I felt that containers of cotton balls & qtips were unsanitary as I doubt that the contents were emptied and replaced with fresh after after cruise.

Can you get extras if you ask or should I bring my own - I depended on these.

Perhaps it was 3 persons in an Aqua Class Suite on the Reflection before those reverted to Sky Suites?

We have dined in Blu a number of cruises and never seen a child in the dining room. Perhaps they are eating earlier. Nor have we seen/heard any on the AQ decks.

I find this reasonable. The last few sailings we have taken in Sky Suites and AQ, we have been inundated with water bottles. During one sailing, there were 10 bottles on our desk. The steward would bring in new bottles everyday. We really only used the bottle watered to take our meds. It got so we could not tell which bottle was opened and which was not because the steward would rearrange the dresser when dusting. It was ridiculous and they took up a lot of space, not to mention the waste!

Because we had the beverage package, we would pick-up fresh/cold bottled waters to drink before and after excursions.

Back in 2010 we took our 2 grandchildren on a Soltice cruise and they shared an Aqua stateroom next to ours. They were 10 and 12, by the balcony they could go back and forth as they wished. They are and were VERY well behaved children, with better manners than many of the adults on the ship. We ate in Blu and they (as expected) were excellent. One night my husband and I ate in Murano and the children had pizza in their room, delivered before we left. On formal nights, they dressed in tux and formal dress more than I can say for many aboard. They are welcome to sail with us anytime!:)

Do people on a cruise really care about cotton balls and q-tips? It seems like a very small thing compared to ocean views, beautiful beaches, fun times with loved ones, etc.

No, it is not that big of a deal. But, if I expect them to be there and they are not, then I should pack some. That is all.

There seems to be cut backs on every line.

This is true. However Celebrity created a room category which they charge a substantial fee for a spa experience which was to include amenities not available in other room categories. Now they started to reduce the product which they charge more for. Other lines don't hike up the price of the worst rooms on the ship. Compare the price of a standard balcony located under the pool or buffet on other lines and you will see that they are priced in the lower category range for a standard balcony with in that lines pricing. All lines are cutting back on food quality in general. It's getting to the point where you will be forced to book a specialty restaurant if you want more than a chain restaurant experience which is what the MDR is becoming.

The worst behaved people I have seen onboard have been adults. Ate in Blu on Solstice a few years ago and my meal was disturbed by a very very loud group. Asked the staff to help. They acknowledged the disturbance but seemed afraid to speak to the very large party of over the top partiers. I will sit next to well behaved kids any day.

This is Cruise CRITIC, you have to have something to complain about to be here, LOL!

Can you get extras if you ask or should I bring my own - I depended on these.

I was on the Reflection in October. The packages of q-tips and cotton balls were not automatically provided. Once we asked for them, they were replenished on a regular basis.