Forced to take early flight out of Mia

jsf

I just got a notice that our flight out of Mia has been changed to 9:30 AM. I called AA and was told that there are no other flights that day. I have a feeling that AA does'nt want to give us seats on another flight at the low prices we paid. What is the earliest we can get off the Reflection and get to the airport? This is the second flight change I've had to handle,, AA is not looking good to me.Only other option was to stay overnight and get flight next day, not offering to pay for hotel.

J.

I would not take a 9:30 flight. Did you check AA on line for other flights available that day? If you find one, call them back and have your flight changed. United has done that a few times and we had no problems making a change. The cost you paid should have no bearing on a change since they changed your flight to one that you will not make.

As to getting off the ship early you would have to do self disembarkation. I'm sure others will reply with timing on that as we have never done it.

I just got a notice that our flight out of Mia has been changed to 9:30 AM. I called AA and was told that there are no other flights that day. I have a feeling that AA does'nt want to give us seats on another flight at the low prices we paid. What is the earliest we can get off the Reflection and get to the airport? This is the second flight change I've had to handle,, AA is not looking good to me.Only other option was to stay overnight and get flight next day, not offering to pay for hotel.

J.

Situation you list is aggravating from AA. Google "Ar Passenger Bill of Rights" to see what you SHOULD expect given AA's action. If you used a TA get them to intervene. Check Ft Lauderdale departure choices.

Taxi from pier to airport is 15mins but pier customs, airport security may be biggest hurdle timewise.

When Delta changed our flight arrangements (type equipment affected seating) they offered a 'no charge' change but did have other alternative flights.

GOOD LUCK

We are planning on taking a 9:00 flight after our cruise. Just plan on carrying your luggage off of the ship. But we will be arriving in Ft Lauderdale and going to that airport, not Miami.

Edited by Jade13

My next cruise? I'm booking an early morning flight. Assuming no problems clearing the ship at the port, you can get off as early as 6:30, 7. Taxis are right there and while MIA can be a nightmare, I think you'll miss most of it which really starts from 10am on. Also, I've been stuck in a security line before at MIA with limited time and just told a security person. She pulled all 8 of us out of the line and got us through.

I think most people are just afraid to cut things close.

As for me? I am DONE getting to the airport early morning and sitting around for hours.

Good Luck!

Where is your destination? Hard to comment without that. Agree little possibility of making a 9:30 flight since it boards at 9:00.

Seems unfortunately if your flight is cancelled or rescheduled the only right you have is to move to another flight or get a refund. The airline (particularly Delta) does not need to do much. I would certainly ask for assignment to another airline.

The following from a bit old DOT comment sheet. Think it covers your situation:

Scenario: you buy a ticket to Bogota in March, and just before you’re about to take off the airline sends you an email announcing that they now fly to Bogota 5 times a week instead of daily. So you’ll be spending an extra, unplanned hotel night plus meals at your own expense. Or your 6 a.m. departure is now leaving at 11 a.m. but that means you’re going to miss your cruise or the wedding.

Recourse: Do you have a right to ask the airline to compensate you? Unfortunately, no. And most travel insurance policies won't cover you, either. At best, you'll be offered a refund and told to book a last minute flight on another airline at considerably higher cost. This is one of the most pressing areas for new airline regulation, listed in Airfarewatchdog's.

Edited by az_tchr

I'm struggling with the fact that AA has only 1 flight that day.

How soon is your cruise? Would a connecting flight vs a direct flight work?

I know it can be frustrating - it seems airlines always tweak their flight schedules about 6 months out and I've had many times I've had to call them to re-book the flights including using alternate airports. Because I booked mine with miles, there weren't any other low mileage awards available so I had to escalate the issue to get it resolved.

If its a few months out, you are right, you don't get hotels, etc because of a planned schedule change. You might end up with connecting flights that aren't as good but without knowing more, its hard to guess the specifics.

Research all your options then see if carrying off your luggage and trying for 0930 is the best choice.

I would check other airlines and FLL for other flights. The last thing we would want to do is go on a cruise and have it in the back of our minds the whole trip as to whether we're going to make our flight. No way. 9:00A.M. is cutting it too close, everything has to go perfect.

My next cruise? I'm booking an early morning flight. Assuming no problems clearing the ship at the port, you can get off as early as 6:30, 7. Taxis are right there and while MIA can be a nightmare, I think you'll miss most of it which really starts from 10am on. Also, I've been stuck in a security line before at MIA with limited time and just told a security person. She pulled all 8 of us out of the line and got us through.

I think most people are just afraid to cut things close.

As for me? I am DONE getting to the airport early morning and sitting around for hours.

Good Luck!

Good point, most posters are very conservative when scheduling flights. A while ago, there was s long thread if 10:45 was too early. Personally, I'd be good with any flight after 10:00

I would not chance a flight that early.

We've had cruises where we sped through disembarkation and others where we were delayed a long time.

Last Sunday on Silhouette at Port Everglades, we were amazed at the number of families carrying everything off. They did not release them from the ship until after 7:30.

We were in group 3 and finally left the ship about 8:15. We then stood in line at immigration for much longer than expected. I believe some of the people still waiting at immigration when we joined the line were probably walk-offs. If I had been needing to catch a 9:30 flight I would have been quite nervous, especially since there were fewer cabs than I expected to see.

I recommend you look at the AA site in a private browsing session (so no cookies) or clear your cookies before looking. Find out for yourself if there are other flights. Look to see if you can do a connection rather than non-stop, or direct (a touchdown but no plane change) rather than a non-stop to get where you need to go.

Also look to see if there is a flight from FLL instead, but be prepared to catch a shuttle ($15 per person) to the airport.

OP -- you're preachin' to the choir, about the shortcomings of AA. :rolleyes: I absolutely won't fly them anymore, unless I have no other option. Sadly, they are one of the 'partners' of my preferred airline, Alaska. If AA changed your flight, I would keep after them until I got a more satisfactory result.

But, in regards to making that early flight -- let me add my voice to the choir wailing: DON'T DO IT! :eek: Even if the ship docks on time (no guarantees) and clears customs on time (no guarantees), and you're first in line for self-disembark, and there's a taxi waiting (with your name on it) -- you still have to get to (and get through) that nightmare known as MIA. If you were sailing into / flying out of Ft. Lauderdale on the same timetable, I might be mildly optimistic -- but Miami-- I surely wouldn't try it! But, whatever you decide to do, best of luck to you -- have a great cruise. :)

I would check other airlines and FLL for other flights. The last thing we would want to do is go on a cruise and have it in the back of our minds the whole trip as to whether we're going to make our flight. No way. 9:00A.M. is cutting it too close, everything has to go perfect.

Agee 100%. Another concern would be how many other Cruise ships are in the POM that morning.

Edited by davekathy

You can cancel that flight with no penalty...so do it, and book something on another carrier. You won't make a 9:30 flight.

The big issue we all do not know is where is the destination of the OP? Please let us all know! Going to Wisconsin? Milwaukee? Minneapolis? Where?

Impossible to give good information without all the facts. There might well be a carrier the OP is not aware - many are not shown on the search engines. The one thing we all agree is the OP is not likely to make a 9:30am flight and taking one the next day would certainly be better than losing everything by arriving late.

Looks like the OP is from Michigan, so I'm going to assume they're flying through to Detroit. There's no way there's only one flight to Michigan that day, knowing how huge DTW is.

If the OP is flying to DTW, I found a few other flights that leave Miami later. I did see the 9:30 flight, but there's a 10:55 through LGA, an 11:07 through DCA, an 11:30 through Charlotte, 12:20 through Philly, and quite a few more. I'm guessing that maybe the OP only wants the direct flight with no stops, so that might be the problem. And for the record, knowing you have to be on the plane 15 minutes before departure (I've taken that early Miami/Detroit flight and they started boarding at 8:45), there's no way you'll make that flight. MIA is nothing like Ft Lauderdale in terms of being an easy airport. MIA is totally insane in terms of long lines for check in and security.

Update on AA problem: We are flying to Detroit. At first AA told me there or not any available flights and that I could cancel the return flight but I could only do it after my first flight. I explained I would be onboard a cruise ship and that might be tough to do. Then I was told to take a flight the following day. I then called the T/A that booked flight but she could get nowhere with AA. I went online and checked all flights out of Miami to Detroit after 11:00 AM and finally called AA again armed with all the flights and times and talked to someone who would work with me and finally got a flight out at 1:55 PM to ORD and to DTW two hours earlier than orginal flight. I know the reason for their attitude they don't want to give us seats on flights that they can charge double what I paid for them.

I quess it pays to be persitent, thank's for all the help and advice

I'm starting to wonder with all the airlines and their attitude and pricing are going to affect people wanting to go on cruises.

J.