Tipping cabin stewards

lmillah

I read some people tip cabin steward upon arrival then again when they leave.

This being above and beyond prepaid grats. How much do you do before and after? just curious Don't want to be wrong Cant someone help me out here??

Edited by lmillah

I've had over 90+ cruises and never tip the cabin steward in advance but always tip before we leave. I feel as though the message given to the steward by tipping on embarkation is you don't think you'll get good service unless you hand out some cash. It feels like 'bribery' to me. I'm much happier giving our stewards envelopes at the end of our cruises thanking them for making our cruise special. I would never remove the auto tip.

Edited by sail7seas

This being above and beyond prepaid grats. How much do you do before and after? just curious Don't want to be wrong Cant someone help me out here??

If you are someone in your stateroom is high maintenance and is a big PITA and let's be honest, we know who they are, a $20 with your initial requests ( you know the ones), will smooth the way and help your cabin stewards willing go the extra mile even though the other half is gonna make them earn it.

I've had over 90+ cruises and never tip the cabin steward in advance but always tip before we leave. I feel as though the message given to the steward by tipping on embarkation is you don't think you'll get good service unless you hand out some cash. It feels like 'bribery' to me. I'm much happier giving our stewards envelopes at the end of our cruises thanking them for making our cruise special. I would never remove the auto tip.

Just a newbie with 20+ cruises...but I feel the same way :)

Usually I just pay the charges on my credit card, but on the last cruise the cabin steward really went above and beyond, and it was the first time I had personal requests as I got sick before the cruise (only arthritis-related, not contagious).

In the middle of the cruise I gave him $20 and told that this is for him, I will leave other charges on the credit card.

If you are someone in your stateroom is high maintenance and is a big PITA and let's be honest, we know who they are, a $20 with your initial requests ( you know the ones), will smooth the way and help your cabin stewards willing go the extra mile even though the other half is gonna make them earn it.

I think most of us believe that we will get that extra service whether we tip at the being or the time of the extra request. Never tipped in advance. Always leave the auto tip on and tip extra at the end.

We are another couple who do not tip at the beginning -- unless we have asked for, and received, an extra service already.

We leave the autotips in place and usually give the cabin steward an extra cash tip at the end of the cruise if service has been outstanding, which it usually is.

On one cruise with an extra friendly helpful steward, when we discovered he had a port day we gave him some additional spending money for his day in port.

Just MHO, of course, but ..... this is how I see it.

A tip at the beginning is a bribe

A tip at the end is a reward

One caveat .... IF, at the start of a cruise, I make a special request for something outside the usual embarkation day tasks of my steward, then I do feel a moderate tip is in order .... maybe $5-10. In that instance, I feel they earned it.

We've never tipped at the beginning of the cruise and probably wouldn't. We also always leave the autotips on and add some extra at the end of the cruise--usually about $20pp, depending on the length of the cruise.

So far we've always had excellent service. If we had problems, we'd address it during the cruise but probably still leave the auto tips on.

We leave the automatic service charges alone, and IF we ask for something special, add a little extra at the end. It is rare that we ask for anything extra, because we don't consider ice extra.

I cannot imagine why you would tip at the beginning of a cruise. That is not a tip it is a bribe.

We have never given a tip at the beginning of a cruise. We usually pull the auto tips and tip those that serve us in person at the end of the cruise.

Right. I hope you go to the laundry and take care of them too, since they did your towels and sheets all week.

Right. I hope you go to the laundry and take care of them too, since they did your towels and sheets all week.

Funny you should bring that up. Most folks don't realize just how elaborate the onboard tipping culture is. There's a whole lot of "kicking up" (and down) that goes on, behind the scenes. If you've ever been in a room that ran short on towels, and maybe the linens weren't the best -- it might be due to the fact that your steward wasn't paying proper homage to the laundry manager. ;)

Edited by wwcruisers

I think most of us believe that we will get that extra service whether we tip at the being or the time of the extra request. Never tipped in advance. Always leave the auto tip on and tip extra at the end.

You are missing the point. If you have a travel partner who complains constantly, that speaks to crew loudly and slowly as if they are children, are demanding, are never satisfied, they expect that they are the only stateroom, that they constantly contradict themselves, etc etc etc.. and I have met many..besides that those folks should receive poor service they do not. That upfront gratuity is more a sympathy gesture to someone who is going to help the spouse survive and smooths the initial impression, reassures the cabin steward that that you understand it's going to be a challenge and here's combat pay, welcome to my foxhole.

If you haven't figured how many posters here are pain in the ass cruisers then I can't be more clear.

The polite, considerate cruisers is becoming extinct.

have always found staff to be efficient and friendly. They do the job the cruise line employs them to do - why would I feel any need to tip them ? I do my job and neither expect nor receive tips [emoji32]

Are you saying that you do not tip AT ALL? You are aware I assume that the crew depend upon your tips for most of their salary. You may not like this wage model but that is the way it is.

DON

Are you saying that you do not tip AT ALL? You are aware I assume that the crew depend upon your tips for most of their salary. You may not like this wage model but that is the way it is.

DON

someone's wage / salary is between them and their employer. If I dont think my salary is sufficient I wouldnt have applied for the job .

I dont know how much the Captain or Hotel Director gets either. neither will i be giving them a tip [emoji32]

someone's wage / salary is between them and their employer. If I dont think my salary is sufficient I wouldnt have applied for the job .

I dont know how much the Captain or Hotel Director gets either. neither will i be giving them a tip [emoji32]

Please stay at home or vacation where you can afford. When you travel, you are expected to follow the culture of the destination ( tipping on cruise ships, covering in cathedrals, no alcohol in certain countries).not your personal preferences.

The auto tips should be renamed as a 'service surcharge' and make in part of the fare, then it is resolved. People can then tip the people they want directly and no one missed out due to people thinking they know how to distribute tips fairer or better than the ship.

I have said it and am no prepared to be flamed for this opinion.