Phase out of Concierge Lounge

Moltar

As a soon to be Diamond I would honestly prefer drink vouchers to being stuck in a lounge, however exclusive. YMMV.

With the current policy you have the option for both as Diamonds have access to the lounge along with the 3 drink coupons on their SeaPass card. So you would have the option to not be stuck in the lounge if you didn't want to be and can enjoy your drinks elsewhere. :)

Edited by leaveitallbehind

It makes sense to make it a suite lounge , my 1st time in a RCCL suite in 2013 I could not even get a seat one day in the CL, although last year it was never crowded. But as already said drinks are no big deal in either since I rather drink top shelf and that is not offered in either lounge ( we also will be diamond plus soon)

It is RC's program and they will do what they want, when they want.

This may be legally true but there is an implied contract RCCL makes with us.

We agree to amass a certain number of points and RCCL agrees to provide us with a stated benefit.

To me, it would be morally wrong to take away benefits that people "earned" in expectation of using them.

If changes ever are to be made (and we have been hearing this for years) then RCCL has a moral and ethical obligation to "grandfather" those who were part of this implied contract.

We agree to amass a certain number of points and RCCL agrees to provide us with a stated benefit.

To me, it would be morally wrong to take away benefits that people "earned" in expectation of using them.

If changes ever are to be made (and we have been hearing this for years) then RCCL has a moral and ethical obligation to "grandfather" those who were part of this implied contract.

Loyalty programs frequently change. There is no guarantee of benefits. Airlines, hotels, department stores and credit card companies frequently change their loyalty programs. Cruise lines aren't any different. Do we like it....probably not. My airline of choice, AA, is changing their program in March. Do I like it? No. Can I do anything about it? No. The only thing I can do is see if there's a better program with another company.

I like having the drink vouchers on my Seapass card. This gives me options.....especially when the lounge is very crowded.

Edited by suzyluvs2cruise

Given that it is a single stateroom privilege, my guess is nothing will change and you will still have access, but to the Suite Lounge instead.

Hope it all still works out for you Marc! (Besides you can still go to the DL).

I should be okay for my next two cruises on Freedom of the Seas as she still has the Concierge Lounge, but I was thinking about some (pre-Diamond) friends of mine who are sailing on Liberty of the Seas in October. It'll be interesting to see what changes they make to the "Sweet"'s privileges, if any, after her dry dock is finished.

Edited by Daghis

....which like just about everything else in the cruise contract can be modified at any time.

Biker19's quote pretty much sums it up. An implied contract is not a legally binding contract. I agree it would be nice if they grandfathered the program, but a few years ago weren't the Diamonds outed from the CL/Suite lounge? If that is the case, then it has happened in the past.

I don't want to see people lose their perks from points earned. You can also be rest assured that I will never say who belongs in a lounge VS who doesn't or who should be know kickked out of the lounge. I guess for me it doesn't matter as we are hardly ever there. I might wish the louder guests sit a bit further away ;) but the easiest solution for that problem is for me to go someone quieter. :)

I enjoy the perks but in reality I know they could be here today and gone tomorrow. That's why I enjoy the day.:)

It is quite obvious that you are not a lawyer! I hope you take this as a compliment.

Edited by Don Pedro

With the current policy you have the option for both as Diamonds have access to the lounge along with the 3 drink coupons on their SeaPass card. So you would have the option to not be stuck in the lounge if you didn't want to be and can enjoy your drinks elsewhere. :)

That works for me! Although I like whoever it was earlier who suggested five vouchers instead of three :D

I should be okay for my next two cruises on Freedom of the Seas as she still has the Concierge Lounge, but I was thinking about some (pre-Diamond) friends of mine who are sailing on Liberty of the Seas in October. It'll be interesting to see what changes they make to the "Sweet"'s privileges, if any, after her dry dock is finished.

I will be on GS in April and will be visiting the new suite lounge

It is quite obvious that you are not a lawyer! I hope you take this as a compliment.

Ha! Of course, I am not a lawyer.

First, I acknowledged that RCCL is not legally bound. That is not an issue.

My point was the moral/ethical one. When anyone makes a promise, they are expected to keep it.

What's interesting is that when RCCL kicked D's out of the CL, they instituted a fleet wide program of a nightly event on ALL their ships. This actually was an upgrade for many folks who sailed the ships without a CL.

Again, my point is ethical, not legal. I may be naïve, but I think RCCL would take the high road and not take away without giving something in return. For those who say they can do whatever they want, this is a dangerous invitation to do precisely that. Watch what you say. RCCL is watching.

Mark me down as one that doesn't care which lounge I get my drinks in, so long as RCI doesn't turn off the tap. Although I will say that I'll miss the real bar to sit at on the Radiance ships since those CLs will likely become SLs. Ah well, life goes on.

That works for me! Although I like whoever it was earlier who suggested five vouchers instead of three :D

And what if they make a fleetwide policy to just remove the limit of 3 drinks as long as is it within the happy hours when there are many D's and up on board... as some ships already did it.

As it is just the same costs as giving unlimited drinks inside the lounge

So instead of majority who needs more than 3 drinks trying to crowd out the D lounge... they can just have it in any of the ship's bars they choose...decongesting the lounge during the happy hours as well as we are scattered all over the ship's different bars.

Problem solved, everyone is happy, and no minuses for RCCL in terms of goodwill!!!

And what if they make a fleetwide policy to just remove the limit of 3 drinks as long as is it within the happy hours when there are many D's and up on board... as some ships already did it.

As it is just the same costs as giving unlimited drinks inside the lounge

So instead of majority who needs more than 3 drinks trying to crowd out the D lounge... they can just have it in any of the ship's bars they choose...decongesting the lounge during the happy hours as well as we are scattered all over the ship's different bars.

Problem solved, everyone is happy, and no minuses for RCCL in terms of goodwill!!!

What ships have given unlimited free drinks to Diamonds and up at bars during happy hour? I have never read or heard about it before.

With unlimited drinks people would be giving drinks to their friends who weren't entitled to the free drinks. So the answer to the problem is limit the amount of drinks, which is what they do now.

If your system was installed why keep the lounge at all, as it is non-revenue space. If free unlimited drinks were available everywhere there would be few if any people in the lounge and that defeats the idea of mixing and mingling.

What ships have given unlimited free drinks to Diamonds and up at bars during happy hour? I have never read or heard about it before.

I recall they did that in one of the Serenade TA the time when there were so many elites on board.

It is actually the discretion of the ship's managers.

They can still mingle in the D lounge if they want to, but have an option to mingle in the other bars of the ship as well.

It was better that way given the situation had not for that initiative, the lounges will be really crowded for comfort given the number of elites on board, and the bar service will degrade given many are waiting for their drink.

Edited by roquejo

Tell that to the airlines and hotel chains who periodically devalue their programs. It's a fact of life that affinity programs change and usually for the worse. A waste of time thinking or worrying about "moral and ethical" considerations. But I do hope the powers that be at RCCL see things your way:)

Edited by bouhunter

I recall they did that in one of the Serenade TA the time when there were so many elites on board.

It is actually the discretion of the ship's managers.

It was better that way given the situation had not for that initiative, the lounges will be really crowded for comfort given the number of elites on board, and the bar service will degrade given many are waiting for their drink.

TAs are often highly populated with many "elite" ranked C&A members. Since many would have been Diamond and up the chance of drinks being handed off to those who didn't deserve them would be low, but it could happen. For your example the FB Manager had some forsight, espically for a smaller ship like Serenade. I am sure they ran this idea past their boss prior to opening the tap for 3 hours every night. Perhaps going forward for TAs, on smaller ships, this plan could work.

Doing this on a "normal/typical" sailing with a lower number of C&A members is unlikely to ever happen. They added the three coupons for this situation. If you want more than 3 drinks evrey night those individuals will need to go to the lounge for the extras. I think that they would change the perk system before they open the tap for Diamond and up C&A members in every bar for "regular cruises".

Mark me down as one that doesn't care which lounge I get my drinks in, so long as RCI doesn't turn off the tap. Although I will say that I'll miss the real bar to sit at on the Radiance ships since those CLs will likely become SLs. Ah well, life goes on.

Good discussion... My thought is to turn off the tap. If there are 500+ Ds and up on any particular 7 day sailing, averaging 3 "free" drinks per evening, that's 1500 "free" drinks per night = over 10,000 "free" drinks per 7 day sailing. Now exponentially multiply like rabbits the amount of Ds, D+'s the last couple of years which is rising even more now and in the next few years I suspect.... and keep giving everyone "free" drinks!!!!

Does anyone really ... REALLY ... think that all the "free" alcohol is really "free"?

I'm D+. I don't drink 5 cocktails per day, nor do I need to sit in a lunge from 5pm-8pm getting drunk as I have witnessed on several occasions from cruise mates I've sailed with unfortunately.

So how about this as a very rough example for arguments sake.... zero "free" alcohol in any lounge at any time but as D you get an extra $250, D+ $350, PN $500 non-refundable obc for example on a 7 day... this is above and beyond you C&A balcony discount, and of course this obc dependent on the cabin you book (suites even better obc). You want to drink your face off ebery night? Buy a drink packgage... IT'S "FREE" with that extra massive obc RCL just gave you that I explained above. For me, I can pay for my 2-3 drinks per day out of pocket and my perk would be booking specialty with that obc 'cause that's what I would want. For others with a family perhaps that big obc a great start to book excursions, book Florider lessons, go to the spa, whatever you want. And if you in fact do by a drink package with the obc.... guess what? You can drink unlimited all day long anywhere on the ship at any time morning to night!! It's a win-win-win-win for everyone imho.

There's no way anyone should be subsidizing other people's alcohol habits, let alone the need to attend the lounges just because that's where the open bar is, and thus forcing everyone's cruise costs upward. Just my 2 cents.

Good discussion... My thought is to turn off the tap. If there are 500+ Ds and up on any particular 7 day sailing, averaging 3 "free" drinks per evening, that's 1500 "free" drinks per night = over 10,000 "free" drinks per 7 day sailing. Now exponentially multiply like rabbits the amount of Ds, D+'s the last couple of years which is rising even more now and in the next few years I suspect.... and keep giving everyone "free" drinks!!!!

Does anyone really ... REALLY ... think that all the "free" alcohol is really "free"?

I'm D+. I don't drink 5 cocktails per day, nor do I need to sit in a lunge from 5pm-8pm getting drunk as I have witnessed on several occasions from cruise mates I've sailed with unfortunately.

So how about this as a very rough example for arguments sake.... zero "free" alcohol in any lounge at any time but as D you get an extra $250, D+ $350, PN $500 non-refundable obc for example on a 7 day... this is above and beyond you C&A balcony discount, and of course this obc dependent on the cabin you book (suites even better obc). You want to drink your face off ebery night? Buy a drink packgage... IT'S "FREE" with that extra massive obc RCL just gave you that I explained above. For me, I can pay for my 2-3 drinks per day out of pocket and my perk would be booking specialty with that obc 'cause that's what I would want. For others with a family perhaps that big obc a great start to book excursions, book Florider lessons, go to the spa, whatever you want. And if you in fact do by a drink package with the obc.... guess what? You can drink unlimited all day long anywhere on the ship at any time morning to night!! It's a win-win-win-win for everyone imho.

There's no way anyone should be subsidizing other people's alcohol habits, let alone the need to attend the lounges just because that's where the open bar is, and thus forcing everyone's cruise costs upward. Just my 2 cents.

The other side of that coin is that the nightly cocktail parties, which are obviously very popular among RCI loyalists, drive repeat business. As with any loyalty program, the goal is to get the customers back through the door again and again.

For me, the nightly drinks are a great way to keep me coming back. Every time I think about booking another cruise line, the little voice in my head (one among many) whispers to remember Royal's generous loyalty perks.

I don't think anyone believes the drinks to be free. But at the wholesale bulk pricing the cruise line pays, the cost must obviously be worth enticing guests to come back onboard.

But at the wholesale bulk pricing the cruise line pays, the cost must obviously be worth enticing guests to come back onboard.

Ding, ding, ding......we have a winner. Drinks are the most marked items on the ship and it costs RCI very little to "give" them away. OBC, OTOH, would cost them a lot, up to $ for $ if one were to use to pay grats. No way RCI is giving you OBC instead of drinks - heck, they won't even discount the drink package for top tier members.

The other side of that coin is that the nightly cocktail parties, which are obviously very popular among RCI loyalists, drive repeat business. As with any loyalty program, the goal is to get the customers back through the door again and again.

You betcha... you and I are on board here :D

So not having "free" drinks will not prevent me for heading to the lounge to meet up with the many CC'ers I've been honored to meet the last few years. If I buy a "free" drink package it's a wash, or I'll buy my one-two cocktails pre-dinner at the lounge no problems while hanging out with everyone.

Regarding repeat business, besides a "free" obc, how about the option only at time of booking applying that obc directly to your cruise fare as a discount? Again above and beyond the regular C&A balcony? That way anyone could apply that obc immediately, even an inside or ocean view. THAT would be the ultimate thank you from RCL imho.

Ding, ding, ding......we have a winner. Drinks are the most marked items on the ship and it costs RCI very little to "give" them away. OBC, OTOH, would cost them a lot, up to $ for $ if one were to use to pay grats. No way RCI is giving you OBC instead of drinks - heck, they won't even discount the drink package for top tier members.

Yep, sadly I agree with all of this as well. Why give us $300+ obc when they can give us $0.50 drinks for free and make it look like they're giving us hundreds of dollars in perks? :rolleyes:

I find it interesting that when I go to use my "free drink" coupons that bottled water isn't one of the options. The bartenders almost always give it to me saying that will make the exception, but for the ones that don't I will get a can of Coke. Just something that I have expereinced but never thought of mentioning.