View and Veranda promotion expanded to include OBC

DaveOKC

The PCC I have has been with HAL for over 15 years and is the third one I've used. The reason we book with a PCC initially is the agency we use charges a cancellation fee. We book the cabin we want and transfer for a 12-15% discount when we are sure that is the cruise we will be able to take.

As I've stated in previous posts, twice after we booked a cruise and the Explore 4 promo was announced, we were able to get package with no price increase even though the prices went up. Could my PCC do that--no. Another poster had the same luck.

Thanks for explaining. We tried a couple different TAs only to find they have charges for canceling, drops in prices, etc. So now we're very careful who we choose. So far we've been very happy with the latest one, time will tell. :)

Interesting about the Explore 4 experience, I'd never heard that TAs can get around that.

I always call the Mariner Society when I think I have been bumped off emails and/or mailings.

Carol

Yes, and that is the correct thing to do. There is some kind of flag that gets checked off to stop the mailings and special rates. Poster ger77 had a thread about it maybe 6 months ago. There are posters on this board that complain that they never get anything but when I ask if they have (or their ta has) contacted the Mariners society I hear crickets chirping. I never used to get anything but once I got this resolved I do get special pricing and emails. Complaining on CC unfortunately doesn't help.

Based on something another poster mentioned, I went and looked at the European cruises. What I found was that a number of them had different "headers" with the View and Veranda deal - the header indicate that there was up to $XXX in OBC.

By comparison, NONE of the Panama Canal (or Caribbean) cruises had this extra wording. So, I conclude that HAL must be having a hard time filling these European cruises so the new add on is basically being use in this (or other slow) areas.

If someone gets the OBC on a Panama Canal or Caribbean cruise, please post it here.

I heard back from my PCC. The OBC is available on select cruises (see Cdn T&C's below with bolding):

Fares and offers are based on Promo(s) KD/KE/JE. Featured fares are per person based on double occupancy, cruise or Land+Sea Journeys only. Fares are in Canadian Dollars. Taxes, Fees & Port Expenses are additional and range from CAD$93.99 to CAD$1,299.88. Subject to availability. Offers are per person, based on double occupancy, for 1st and 2nd guests sharing a stateroom and exclude 3rd/4th guests, except as provided herein. Offers are available for new bookings only, are not combinable with Flash promotions, are capacity controlled, and may be modified or withdrawn without prior notice. Offers are applicable on select 2016 and 2017 departures. Onboard spending money is available on select cruises in the following amounts: cruises 7-9 days: interior and ocean-view staterooms receive US$50 per person (US$100 per stateroom); lanai and verandah staterooms receive US$100 per person (US$200 per stateroom), and suites receive US$150 per person (US$300 per stateroom); cruises 10-14 days: interior and ocean-view staterooms receive US$75 per person (US$150 per stateroom); lanai and verandah staterooms receive US$150 per person (US$300 per stateroom), and suites receive US$200 per person (US$400 per stateroom); cruises 15 plus days: interior and ocean-view staterooms receive US$100 per person (US$200 per stateroom); lanai and verandah staterooms receive US$200 per person (US$400 per stateroom), and suites receive US$250 per person (US$500 per stateroom.) Onboard spending money is not transferable, refundable, or redeemable for cash. Free stateroom upgrade offers are available in select stateroom categories and are subject to availability of the staterooms in the higher category. Shore Excursion offer applies only to select shore excursions, purchased in advance of embarkation, prior to March 15, 2016. If a shore excursion is canceled once on board, refund will be the amount paid. Up to 25% off Collectors' Voyages is based on select sailings. For full terms and conditions applicable to your excursion, please refer to hollandamerica.com. For more information about our stateroom categories and suite descriptions, to view deck plans and for full terms and conditions applicable to your cruise, please refer to hollandamerica.com or the appropriate Holland America brochure. Offers have limited space, and may be modified or withdrawn without prior notice. Other restrictions may apply. Offers end 2/29/16. Ships' Registry: The Netherlands.

On a happier note, my PCC was able to get us a further reduction in fare on one of the cruises, which is close to the amount of the OBC component that we weren't able to get.

Edited by Alberta Quilter

Just heard back from my TA.

There are 2 different view and verandah promos going on, some have the extra OBC, some not. both have the "up to 10% off on select shorex) ...

I am currently booked on a past passenger discount (green pricing on HAL site when you sign i. with Mariner number) - it is $750 less than the advertised price.

I would have to give up that pricing to go on the new view and verandah pricing, pay $750 more to get extra $200 OBC.... I THINK NOT.

I am very happy with my pricing as it stands, and have other OBC ...

And, even though I am priced as a past passenger - I am still eligible for % discount on shorex. I have already booked one at 10% off,another at 5% off.

This is the first time I have ever been priced with past passenger discount. Usually I am booked with some form of promo - but seems I am sitting in the best spot for now.

Carol

Based on something another poster mentioned, I went and looked at the European cruises. What I found was that a number of them had different "headers" with the View and Veranda deal - the header indicate that there was up to $XXX in OBC.

By comparison, NONE of the Panama Canal (or Caribbean) cruises had this extra wording. So, I conclude that HAL must be having a hard time filling these European cruises so the new add on is basically being use in this (or other slow) areas.

If someone gets the OBC on a Panama Canal or Caribbean cruise, please post it here.

I agree with you, Dave. I checked the site some more and found that some Alaska, Canada/NE and South America cruises also have the OBC component. Hopefully, people will check to see if their cruise applies and get the additional OBC, if it isn't detrimental in other ways, as CJCruzer mentioned.

Just heard back from my TA.

There are 2 different view and verandah promos going on, some have the extra OBC, some not. both have the "up to 10% off on select shorex) ...

I am currently booked on a past passenger discount (green pricing on HAL site when you sign i. with Mariner number) - it is $750 less than the advertised price.

I would have to give up that pricing to go on the new view and verandah pricing, pay $750 more to get extra $200 OBC.... I THINK NOT.

I am very happy with my pricing as it stands, and have other OBC ...

And, even though I am priced as a past passenger - I am still eligible for % discount on shorex. I have already booked one at 10% off,another at 5% off.

This is the first time I have ever been priced with past passenger discount. Usually I am booked with some form of promo - but seems I am sitting in the best spot for now.

Carol

How did the booking of the shorex work? Did you call HAL or do it on-line?

You do it online. If you have the V&V promo, you'll see the discounted price right on the screen. I think it's in red. But it's not every shore excursion. On my Hawaii cruise, none of the Hawaiian shorex are discounted. Two in Victoria and one in Vancouver are the only ones discounted.

You do it online. If you have the V&V promo, you'll see the discounted price right on the screen. I think it's in red. But it's not every shore excursion. On my Hawaii cruise, none of the Hawaiian shorex are discounted. Two in Victoria and one in Vancouver are the only ones discounted.

Thanks - I will check that out.

I know it appeared once it was in my cart, the original amount is struck through with a line, and the reduced amount is shown in red. NOT ALL shorex are reduced. One that I was looking at is not, so I just removed it from my cart before I checked out. My cruise is quite a ways ot yet, so no use tying up monies on shorex which are at regular price. I believe the shorex discount is valid up until March 15.

I have only seen 5% and 10% discounts, nothing in between.

Carol

Edited by CJcruzer

OK - just talked to my PCC again and no go on getting the OBC - he said that my cruise does not qualify for the "whole" View and Veranda deal, just the part with upgrades and discounted shore excursions.

When I look it up on-line, it does say (as others have posted for me) that it qualifies for V&V, but it does not mention the OBC part - so this is where the confusion comes in.

What I need is to get a hold of someone that has the complete list of qualifying (for OBC) cruises. I know there are some people on this board who have great contacts in this area, so perhaps they can help????

Dave, HAL is not being very transparent with their "details." When I saw your post, I double checked at the HAL web site and called my TA. The word from HAL is that none of the cruises on the Rotterdam get the additional OBC. The wording under "details" is confusing, but it does give 3 promo codes, but doesn't explain each one. Mine just would get the 10% discount on shore excursions ( the stateroom upgrade only applies to Lanai to BC, and we are booked higher:( )

I did book the discounted shore excursions and saved over $200 on what I would have booked anyway:).

Karen

Thank you for posting the note about extra OBC for the View & Verandah Promotion. I sent quick email to our TA and she changed our booking. We lost the "Thank You for Cruising OBC" but are still $200 to the good. Fare stayed the same.

Glad you got the promotion. It seems to be mostly for cruises beyond North America.

OK - just talked to my PCC again and no go on getting the OBC - he said that my cruise does not qualify for the "whole" View and Veranda deal, just the part with upgrades and discounted shore excursions.

When I look it up on-line, it does say (as others have posted for me) that it qualifies for V&V, but it does not mention the OBC part - so this is where the confusion comes in.

What I need is to get a hold of someone that has the complete list of qualifying (for OBC) cruises. I know there are some people on this board who have great contacts in this area, so perhaps they can help????

We are doing the Vancouver to Hong Kong repositioning in September and have the View and Verandah deal but that's where it stops. TA has spoken to HAL Australia and as far as OBC is concerned it's no go. :(

It's under Specials on the HAL website but the OBC is only for selected cruises.

Ozcruizer

We booked, back in November, a 10-day Canada/New England cruise out of New York on the Zuiderdam - September 7th. I emailed my TA after reading your post and I had a new confirmation within 15 minutes with a $300 OBC!

Many thanks, I hope you are able to get your sailing worked out.

thank you. Just phoned and got OBC on both my bookings

Aussie Jeep and Marshaatn - I am glad you were able to take advantage of the promotion. I like to post these deals as I have benefited from others doing it for me in the past. Just playing it forward.

just got the email, and fired off an email to my TA....also took a "snapshot" on my iPad of the offer and the terms and conditions.

Unfortunately, I think I will lose the ZPM offer of thank you for sailing with us credit, as the terms says it is not combinable with other shipboard offers.

Every little bit helps!

Carol

ZPM should stay on ...