Unusual Ft. Lauderdale sailaway

rafinmd

Not HAL but one of HAL’s corporate cousins, Queen Mary 2 will be making one of it’s rare appearances in Ft. Lauderdale .tomorrow (Wednesday) Times will be shown on the port web site but I expect she will arrive early and leave approximately 6PM.. The ship has one or more horns transplanted from the original Queen Mary, and is capable of astounding sounds. I have no idea what kind of show Captain Christopher Wells may put on but I’m quite optimistic.

http://portevergladeswebcam.com

http://ftlauderdalewebcam.com

I will be on Queen Victoria which is now scheduled to dock in Port Canaveral about 11AM. There is confusion about where we will dock. The port says Terminal 1 which is bad for webcame viewers but great for me as it is near shops, restaurants, and transit. The ship is convinced we will go to Terminal 10 which takes us right past the webcam but has nothing nearby for the passengers.

http://portcanaveralwebcam.com

After leaving Ft. Lauderdale QM2 will sail around Cape Horn to Valparaiso, then a southern Trans-Pacific to Sydney, and on around the world. She will next be seen in the US (NYC) on May 17. I hope to be watching if I can find appropriate wifi.

Roy

I was contemplating whether to start a sail-away thread for the QM2 visit to Port Everglades! Thank you for starting one.

If the Westerdam is the Queen of Toots, the QM2 i deserving of a royal title too. Queen Mother of Toots? Her's is phenomenal in it's own way.

I hope to be able to watch it and hopefully she doesn't leave late, during the quiet time.

The port schedule shows QM2 arriving at 0600 (I think that's pilot time) and leaving at 6PM. That's my dinner time so it's iffy if I will be able to watch. I think QV will leave Port Canaveral Thursday at 6:30PM.

Roy

They are talking the "storm of the century" for the mid-Atlantic north.

Argh, every snowfall over 4" now gets hyped into the "storm of the century". I guess I better go buy bread and milk...

Edited by Boytjie

Argh, every snowfall over 4" now gets hyped into the "storm of the century". I guess I better go buy bread and milk...

If 'bread and milk' is storm code for 'beer and wine'...;)

Considering the 'air mass' that is supposed to be this blizzard was south of the Aleutians this morning, I think we need to just be aware, but remain calm.

I was saying to myself, what is a dam ship doing in Port Canaveral?

11tnamq.jpg

But is is the Queen Victoria, a.k.a. Icky Vicky.

http://portcanaveralwebcam.com/

All aboard is 18:30 tomorrow (Thursday) so she should sail about 19:00. There would normally not be anything to see in a sailaway from Terminal 1, but since she's facing toward land will need to make a broad turn which the webcam should pick up.

No wifi in the terminal so I don't think I'll make QM2 sailaway.

Roy

Thanks to Roy and Peter for keeping us posted on "our" dark hulled sisters from Cunard.

A great onboard lecturer on HAL suggested I should try the QM2 once to experience her. He also said that he preferred the MDR on HAL over Cunard as well as most of the staff on HAL. I did look at the segment of the world cruise on QM2 from Ft Lauderdale to Valparaiso, which was reduced significantly last fall, but felt it misses too many smaller ports. Didn't want to get the Brazillian visa either for just a few days there.

Looking forward to sail away, hopefully with her horn "tooting"