Assigned mdr seating/time -etiquitte?

Shih-tzu

Cruising in a couple of weeks...

Have been assigned 1st seating (6:00pm).

If for some reason that we decide not to attend at the MDR (doing something else, not hungry, in the "mood" for a Guy's burger rather than a more formal meal, etc), would it be proper to inform the Maitre'd as soon as we know we won't be attending so the other people at our table are not left waiting and can go ahead and have their order taken?

If so, would one go to the dining room and let them know, or call it in as soon as we know we won't be dining at our assigned time? Would like to be considerate of our fellow cruisers but not sure what the protocol is..... Thanks :-)

We would let our wait staff and/or tablemates know if there was a night that we were not planning on being there just as a courtesy. If something were to come up at the last minute that would prevent us from attending I probably wouldn't worry about notifying them.

I would be more concerned about notification if you were going to be more than 15 minutes late and still wanted to eat.

I've never even considered this before after cruising multiple times and now I feel somewhat inconsiderate LOL. On our recent cruise on the freedom we didn't want to get dressed for dinner 3 out of the 7 nights. You don't have to tell anyone about it so I guess you could say we were those table mates that never showed up LOL

most likely the waitstaff will wait for you to show up before taking the orders for the rest of the table. As a result your tablemates might have to sit and wait say 20 minutes before they get their order taken.

I think it is common courtesy to let the waiter or tablemates know.

I think you should set up ground rules for the table. Like wait 5 minutes and you aren't there start without you. No big deal then you don't have to worry about informing people. With luck everyone else at the table would agree to the same time limit...

I think you should set up ground rules for the table. Like wait 5 minutes and you aren't there start without you. No big deal then you don't have to worry about informing people. With luck everyone else at the table would agree to the same time limit...

I like this idea!!

I like this idea too and it saves you having to notify anyone prior to your absence.

But I think it's very thoughtful of you, Shih-tzy, to consider your tablemates.

I've never even considered this before after cruising multiple times and now I feel somewhat inconsiderate LOL. On our recent cruise on the freedom we didn't want to get dressed for dinner 3 out of the 7 nights. You don't have to tell anyone about it so I guess you could say we were those table mates that never showed up LOL

They aren't letting people dine with shorts on anymore?

Bill

IMHO ..... The rude thing is when folks request fixed dining - actually intending to only attend a couple of times. We had a couple at our table of 6 who told us the 2nd elegant night that had been their plan all along.

6 out of 8 nights the other 4 of us sat around waiting the 15 or more minutes to put in our orders.

We just felt like if they knew going into the cruise they didn't plan to attend they should have changed to any time dining.

And before I get flamed ... I do understand and don't have a problem with tablemates dining other places some nights but this couple knew they were leaving the other 4 of us hanging 6 out of 8 nights while they never had the intention of coming.

We do 6pm dining on every cruise. The first thing I tell our waiter is we want to see the 7:30 pm Welcome Aboard Show. Often we will review the menu posted before sailing and walk in knowing what's for dinner.

I'll give fellow table mates 10 minutes the first night. After that I have zero obligation to wait for anyone not in my family or friends group.

I feel for wait staff when cruisers walk in 30-45 min late and expect to be served.

Edited by BallFour4

I'm on vacation. I eat when I want. I don't feel in any way obligated to tell anybody anything.

Ok good for you but what does that have to do with the fact that it doesn't hurt to let others at your table know you will not be dining a certain night if you know it in advance.

Edited by Podna's

I'm on vacation. I eat when I want. I don't feel in any way obligated to tell anybody anything.

I don't disagree but

1) have you considered doing a table for 2

2) have you considered anytime dining

Personally has the whole concept of cruise dining become out of date with today's eating habits. When I grew up, we had dinner as a family at the exact same time every day.

But today at our house, we never know who is showing up for dinner and when dinner will be.

Why would we expect a cruise would be any different.

Edited by LuckyZ

When dinner is at a fixed time for land dining venues, it is good form to let your dinner mates know if you won't be there at the expected time . Why should it be different on a cruise? If you prefer not to have to adhere to a set time or be accountable to others, choose anytime dining. That's what it is for. IMO it is inconsiderate to choose fixed dining when you are not going to show up, as it prevents others from getting the seating they wish.

We have only once out of 10+ cruises had tablemates.

This cruise, except for the NCL cruises, is the first time we haven't had early. Waited to late to book, so ytd is going to get a try.

Never considered telling anyone if we were doing something else.

Assumed the wait staff adapted without us.

Likely helped the other tables in his section.

They were going to set the table anyway.

My thought if we have table mates again might be to let them know the nights for steakhouse or italian is planned.

The other problem is we rarely eat in the MDR the first night.

We tend to go steakhouse or italian for the free wine opportunity.

So we may not even know if we have tablemates or not.

Ytd I assume is not a concern? Do you ever get tablemates in ytd?

That sounds like a great idea - I have NO idea who we will be seated with so the first night of assigned seating (which apparently is the second night when leaving San Juan) I will tell them AND the wait staff.