Booking Flights

opensaysme

Hello everyone! :):)

As a first time cruiser I have been reading forums and watching videos on YouTube about cruising. With that said, I would like to thank all people who provide comments and information about your experiences cruising. It is extremely useful!

I have booked a cruise through Carnival on the Dream leaving out of New Orleans this August, of which, needless to say, I am suuuper excited about!

I do have specific questions pertaining to booking flights. Does the fact that there will be a few thousand people from various places planning to be in that same city on that same day, or even a day before, reflect the costs of the flights? Also, how soon should I book flights?

Airline tickets are more expensive the closer you are to the date of departure. So if you're cruise booked, then book your plane tickets as soon as possible. New Orleans is a popular destination.

It doesn't make any difference that people are flying there for a cruise. It's based on the time of year, time of day and so on.

You can go to the various airline carriers United, Delta, Jet Blue, American and use their search engines to see how much the flight will cost round trip from your hometown airport to your destination.

Keep in mind it's a really good idea to arrive at your embarkation port a day before the cruise departs. This way if the plane is delayed, you don't have any added stress.

There are websites like kayak.com that give you a breakdown of airline prices to compare.

Good Luck.

Jonathan

Cruising as well as tourism can have an impact on flight costs. It all comes down to supply and demand. We check the fares and then figure out what price we are willing to pay. We prefer to book fairly early.

I highly recommend arriving one day or more before your cruise so that a flight cancellation or delay does not cause you to miss the ship.

Also for your return allow a lot of time to get to the airport.

Often the early flight is cheaper but not always doable.

Keith

Check the various websites and book your best deal as soon as possible.

Prices do go up as you get closer to the departure date.

Also go to the airline website after you buy you flight and choose the best seats for yourselves. Better seat selection for sure.

Our cruise is in September. All done and seats selected. No more worries.

Also don't forget to book your hotel for the overnight stay in New Orleans.

Booking online now will be cheaper and more choices available.

Because August/Sept is prime time hurricane season you want to book your flights the day or two before your cruise.

and pay special attention to what time to book the return trip.

there is a reason those early flights are so cheap-- you will NOT make those

Southwest is releasing flights on Feb 18th.

Welcome to Cruise Critic.

Since you didn't mention where you are flying from, that can also make a difference as to when to book your flights. We have very few flights to anywhere thus we book as soon as we can.

It is true that air fare will be higher the closer you get to your cruise date.

We always make certain that we arrive at the embarkation a couple of days early.

For return flights -- book flights to go home after Noon time or stay an extra day before flying home.

Airline tickets are more expensive the closer you are to the date of departure. So if you're cruise booked, then book your plane tickets as soon as possible. New Orleans is a popular destination.

It doesn't make any difference that people are flying there for a cruise. It's based on the time of year, time of day and so on.

You can go to the various airline carriers United, Delta, Jet Blue, American and use their search engines to see how much the flight will cost round trip from your hometown airport to your destination.

Keep in mind it's a really good idea to arrive at your embarkation port a day before the cruise departs. This way if the plane is delayed, you don't have any added stress.

There are websites like kayak.com that give you a breakdown of airline prices to compare.

Good Luck.

Jonathan

Based on my own experiences, more often than not, two one-way flights are cheaper than a round trip ticket, and the flights don't have to be both with the same airline. And, as others have said, if it's at all possible, fly in the day before your cruise. It's so nice to be able to start your cruise without being stressed out about arriving on time at the port.

Also, once you have your flights booked, keep an eye on them for any changes. We have our flights booked for Oct. and Nov. and already both have been changed. Return flights have a longer layover so that wasn't a problem. But one of the outgoing flights was changed so we had a shorter layover - not acceptable. So I had to call and get the 2nd flight changed - no problem and no extra charge for the change (American Airlines).

Based on my own experiences, more often than not, two one-way flights are cheaper than a round trip ticket, and the flights don't have to be both with the same airline.

Yes, when did this start to be true? All except one of my family's fares were that way (and I'm not sure about the one, really, because I did not book it) to and from Vancouver in June 2016. It used to be roundtrips were so much better deals that sometimes we would book a R/T for a one-way trip!

We also had the same thing happen to us as Sparky -- on Delta to FLL through Atlanta -- They changed the time of our first flight so we couldn't make the second flight! Same company!?! They did change it to an earlier flight (giving us time for a meal in Atlanta) -- but not until we called!

... It used to be roundtrips were so much better deals that sometimes we would book a R/T for a one-way trip! ......

This was still true for us for international flight, Barcelona to El Paso TX in May so we booked roundtrip and will use the return fare for another transatlantic in October. :)

Edited by NMLady

Because the flight can cost a fair amount, its cost should be considered when you book the cruise - as should be the cost of the (close to essential) hotel stay the night before (and possibly the night after); very often the price savings on being able to take an early flight will more than offset the cost of a hotel stay after debarkation. You should price all three before booking any so you wont be surprised - and when the total looks good, book everything. Costs of flights may vary, but it is more likely that they will go up the closer you get to date of flight.

Book as soon as your plans are firm. Don't keep checking prices after you book as you will drive yourself crazy. BUT....if you are on an airline which allows free changes, such as Southwest, check often. We booked flights months ago for our trip to FLL in a week. Last week SW had a sale and we were able to save $70 on DH ticket and over 2000 points on mine.

You say you are leaving from New Orleans...keep in mind also hotels if you arrive a day early. You won't have to deal with Mardi Gras but there is also Jazz Fest, Voodoo Fest, conventions and 100 other things in NOLA that could effect hotels and hotel rates. So don't wait to grab a place to stay for the night before.

Because August/Sept is prime time hurricane season you want to book your flights the day or two before your cruise.

and pay special attention to what time to book the return trip.

there is a reason those early flights are so cheap-- you will NOT make those

Southwest is releasing flights on Feb 18th.

I was thinking about it being during hurricane season too. I would think in this case, a couple of days pre-cruise if you can swing it might be a good idea so you can get in sightseeing, a little shopping for your cruise, a chance to relax.

Based on my own experiences, more often than not, two one-way flights are cheaper than a round trip ticket, and the flights don't have to be both with the same airline. And, as others have said, if it's at all possible, fly in the day before your cruise. It's so nice to be able to start your cruise without being stressed out about arriving on time at the port.

Actually, in many cases, a one way flight can be as expensive as the round trip tix. For example, look at a one way fare from Papeete (Tahiti) to SFO (via LAX). It will be pretty much the same fare as the round trip ticket.

Nonetheless, if you really want to cobble together the cheapest international tix (despite multiple airlines and connections), check skiplagged.com. It is the best cheap tix website for folks with little money, time to spare and nerves of steel when it comes to running from one terminal to another.